Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
novak vs castle brushless >

novak vs castle brushless

novak vs castle brushless

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Don't forget about a piece of sand or grit in the Spur or pinion. A new guy at our track, likes to think he know better, had a clicking sound from the Transmission. Told him to check his gears, instead he sent it back to the MFG and bough another one so he could reace in the mean time. Touch off topic but kind of funny.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

It's probably fogging. Try a cap on the receiver or an external bec.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

What is fogging? And how would putting a cap or useing a BEC resolve the clicking he is describing?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brsilva
What is fogging? And how would putting a cap or useing a BEC resolve the clicking he is describing?
Lol. Sorry. Meant cogging.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

no sand or anything in the gears, brand new rear carries, brand new motor. My 4mm bullets for my lipo's came today so im solder them up and charge my lipo and see what happends. If it still continues if i get a chance ill record it and post a link to the video here and someone may be able to help point me in the right direction.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Well, I got it running. figured out the clicking noise. half of my spurr teeth was stripped and the clicking was the pinion gear slippen on them. so i robbed the spurr gear off a different car i had. and DAMN this fucker flys. Got a few questions I need answered.

40c 2s lipo. what is the lowest voltage I should run it 2.
motor gets really hot. would putting a smaller pinion gear on it help that?
running anaconda 2.2 tires great traction on cement u hit grass and the grass just laughs at ya. recommendations for high speed all terrain tires that will fit the rustler. something decent 4+ inch be nice just would need to run like a 10t pinion? again remember im a NOOB
car flips easy any tricks to keep it on the ground?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

also, what amp is a good amp to charge them at? I am charging them at 1amp. and how high voltage should I charge them 2. for some reason my charger does 2 hour charges. at 2 hours it stops charging. Ive got a turnigy accellel 6 or something like that.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

First, remember this is a public forum please watch you lanuage. You can lower your motor temps by lowering your gear ratio, larger spur smaller pinion.
As far as tires i can't recall your truck but something like a dirt hawg.. Not pins and not flat street tread Check your LHS

LiPos. Set your going to want to set your ESC to lipo cut off and if you can set it for 3.2v or more per cell so for 2 cell 6.4V. For charging you are going to want to read the instruction manuel on your charger. Your charger is timing out. It is a safty feature to prevent overcharging of batteries. On some chargers you can change this setting. make sure your charger is set for LiPo, unless you can change the setting a full cell is 4.2V. Some batteries are rated for 1,2,3c charge but if you are unsure about a battery charge it at 1c. So a 5000mah battery can be charged a 5 amps unless it specifically says it is Xc charge safe.

I'm sure you will prbably ask later after checking so here. If you set your ESC for cut off @ 3.2v/cell or 6.4v for 2 cell. When your ESC cuts it off and you test with your volt meter you will get a higher reading than 6.4v. This is because as you are running the voltage drops and your esc sees it and stops. Your resting voltage, no draw, will be higher.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

Alright thanks for all the info. sorry about the language. I will set my esc at that. for tires ill do some more searchin around. I got my charger figured out. thanks for that now i have a new issue with the range of my controller it use to be able to reach about twice as far since I went brushless it only reaches half the distance?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

I read through your thead and remembered you are running a Rustler. About your tires see if you LHS has the 2.8" Tallon tires for the Stampede. The Revo come with thos tire stock an they work pretty good all round for bashing. If you are going to race you will want something diffrent and for that you will have to ask the guys at your local track what works there.

Range issue. I had the exact same problem when o switch to brushless with my rustler. What radio are you running. I was running a 27mhz traxxas when i put in a castle sidewinder w/ a 4600 kv. I had about a 20ft range. Braid your motor wires and try to separate your power and signal wires as far from eachoher as possable. After doing this i git about 60ft. You will increase you range the higher up in freaquency you go, 62mhz 75mhz, but 2.4ghz works the best.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Alright, I dont plan on going to a track to race. this car is strickly for playing around with. a local kid is talken about getting a nitro 4wd truck of some sort and wanting to race where just do it on the road or something....I live out in the country. Yeah I was looking at the talon tires will those rims fit the rustler axles? Alright ill seprate all my wires I actully wrap my 3 prong wire from the esc to the reciever in the motor wires some to keep it from being so loose so ill give that a shot. Thanks for the info. I believe I have the 27mhz 2 Can I just replace crystals? or dont the controller take a crystal just the receiver? Ill look into it cuz right now sometimes mine has a range of like 20 feet sometimes it has a range of like 50 feet. It use to be able to reach like 80 or so with no problem. ill look into getting a high MHZ controller and crystal maybe. with this speed It needs to be able to reach LOL I just finished my lipo storage box. need to do some small mods knotch for the wires to come out mostly. How do you dispose of a bad lipo? one of mine failed yesterday got a little wet. I dont want to throw it away and end up causen a fire in the garbage truck. Should I start a fire in a safe away and throw it in? or is that very bad for the environment? I cant discharge it because it only reads like .8 volts
Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

As far as racing on the road it depends on where you live, mostly though you can run where ever you want to as long as you bieing a nuisance to traffic and people.

The talon tires will fit. The front and rear a-arms are the same from Rutlser to Stampede. Look at these expoded view from the traxxas website. Look at part number 1654 in both pages. These are the "Hex drive" nuts that roatate the rims. They are the same so the rims and tires are a direct fit. Just order the 2.8" tallon tires part number 3668A rear set and 3669A front set.
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...r_100118_0.pdf
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...r_091214_0.pdf
The traxxas websit as all the parts list and exploded views for their products so just go there and clisk on support and click on the proper tabs to get the info you want

The radio. Changing freaquancy is as easy as replacing crystals in the Radio "TX" and the Reciever "RX". But you cant exchage a channel 5 for a channel 22. The radios are set for a certain freaquency band (i.e 27mhz 75mhz) IMO don't waste your money buying some that will work for now when you should just wait another week or 2 and get what you want or what will work best....2.4ghz

Running wires. Starting from back to front. I have my braided motor wires running though that square hole located in the rear shock tower to the ESC located above the battery in front of the shock tower. The siganal wire or "Servo Wire" runs along the left side of the truck( viewing from top with front pointing towards you). Stering servo wire also exiting the servo mounting area on the left. I don't know what you have as far as reciever but mine originally was stock traxxas, i used doubble sided servo tape and moved it as far forward as possable. If you have a long wire fold the wire to take up the slack and use a small zip tie or tape.

What is you lipo sotage box? can you PM a pic or post it? Here is what I found for disposal. http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/DISPOS...-BATTERIES.pdf If you are sure you pack is reading less than 1v total than you can tossit or take it in to one of thoes hazrdous waste disposal favilities an give it to them, it is a free service where i live anyway. If you have a pack in the future that you need to dispose of and need to discharge you can be creative about it. I took a pack and hooked it into one of thoes desktop toys that takes 9V... it ran for weeks lol be creative... or not.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

well thank you for that info. Ill look into those tires just interested in the rear though. its not 4wd so my stock fronts will do for now. I am sure its illegal to run on the main roads. I live in a private road made of stone sadly so I need to take it up to the main road thats paved. All I know is if i ever see a cop come by I am going to ask him to clock it LOL Knowin my luck he will it will do over 55 and get me for speeding. Ill take pics of my lipo box tomorrow and post it on here or something.....I keep them in my steel box which then sits inside a steel craftsman toolbox 2 Dont judge my work on this box its made out of a chunk of steel off the back of a fridge and part of a dell computer tower LOL I moved some of my wires around, tomorrow if its not raining ill do another range test. So I dont need a new controller or esc just would need to get new chips? Can you link me to some good chips to use?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Each freaquency like 27mhz and 75 MHZ have "sub freaquencies" ( example 27.255, 26.995 75.650 and 75.590 and they are numbered. http://rcsource.hobbypeople.net/faqs/freqlist.htm Unless you have some one else running the same freaquency as you in the same area you don't need other crstals.
It used to be the typical polite thing to do was to ask the other people who were running near by you to check what freaquency they were running so you didn't interfear and take controll of someone elses truck or vice versa. But most people have moved on to 2.4GHZ. These radios automatically pick up and use an vailable channel so you don't need to ask or change crystals.

You can't take a 75 mhz crystal and have it work in a 27mhz radio set, you need a freaquency specific radio. If you have the original Taxxas radio set you can use there "Power Up Program" where you trade you old traxxas equipment for newer there newer stuff. Does this clarify the whole radio thing?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Yes thank you. I did not know if the controller also had a crystal in it that u can just swap out. So I need to buy a new controller and a crystal that matches to stick it in my receiver? or does it come with a crystal? what type of range can I expect from that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.