R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Brushless allowed..??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/55625-brushless-allowed.html)

Mdoc 11-21-2004 07:16 PM

Brushless allowed..???

Do your local tracks allow brushless stock motors in the stock classes?

This is a controversey at a local track we run at....

thanks for your replys Gary

Davidka 11-21-2004 09:12 PM

Mine I don't know if mine does or doesn't but my friend funs the 4300 in a XXX4 and while a 10 turn is faster, the 4300 is WAY more motor then any stock motor I have seen.

Team Duratrax 11-22-2004 03:44 AM

Did you mean the 4300 is way more better than any other stock motor? My club lets us race brushless motors heck you could probably get away with running 7 cells! knowone screwtinizes (spelling) your car

Rich Panganiban 11-22-2004 07:55 AM

At SoCal Raceway in H.B., they allow brushless to run in regular brushed classes. Most of the time, a brushless driver in stock mode is at a slight disadvantage than a brushed driver because of lack of built-in drag brake in the motor. I think the only real race advantage the brushless system woukd have is if the races were 7 min. long!!!

Davidka 11-22-2004 12:30 PM

That's a good point about stock mode. I've never tried it on my 5800. I run mod and I have comparable power to a 12 turn depending on the batteries. To use drag brake, you dial it in with your throttle trim. You don't notice the gap at center at all. Couldn't get steering on my BK2 until I did that. It also helps to turn down the throttle expo to 70% or so, it makes the throttle curve more like a brushed setup.

Mdoc 11-24-2004 03:11 PM

how do you ck to see if they are in stock mode ?

Davidka 11-24-2004 03:21 PM

It's really obvious if they're not speed wise. Brushless motors are not tweakable at this point (that I knowof) but I'm sure some electronics saavy R/Cer will figure out how to get more out of them. I think the Novak's limitation is the speed control currently. It gets very hot but if the new model that people are rumbling about is improved, it should handle more current.

Rich Panganiban 11-25-2004 08:43 AM

I ran the Novak 5800 for the first time in a BJ4 buggy, and you're right the ESC heatsink does get pretty warm. I know for a fact the car was geared properly so it wasn't that. It wasn't so hot that it wasn't touchable, but if my regular esc was that warm it probably would go into thermal shutdown.

IBARACER 11-25-2004 06:47 PM

I don't know for sure but I know at the big races they have there own class whereever they go so there has got to be an advantage or a disadvantage I don't know which

22 Dasher 11-27-2004 04:24 PM

whats this about a new Brushless system Novak is coming out with?
Where do i find details before i sink money in the 5800 system.

James

Davidka 11-27-2004 08:47 PM

Watch for a New Novak. They have the new Reedy/LRP system to answer to. (which just got a great write up in RCCA).
Novak has been sponsoring a BL race at the big races to help the new technology get noticed. Brushed motors still have an advantage at the pro level. The best stuff is faster (10turns etc...) and WAY lighter. The efficiency of BL is a wash because 3300's have more than enough run time for current racing formats.
If you can get a deal on a 5800, go for it. You won't be disappointed in the power and there is no maintainance to worry about. The only people at the track that don't think mine is fast have VERY hot 10 to 12 turn mods in their cars.

Phroziac 11-29-2004 08:11 AM

overheating

My dad runs a Novak Super Sport in his XXX-T. It would overheat no matter what, as long as the body was on. I suggested holes in the body like a nitro...nope, that doesn't work!

But...I shoe-gooed a small fan that was from a dead motherboard onto the chssis so it blows over the speed control...soldered it into the connectors (so if the battery is connected, its on..so you can let it cool off after you shut it off). This does not draw much juice at all and made no noticable effect on runtime, speed, or acceleration. It also weighs hardly anything...probably less then an AMBRC transponder.
It NEVER overheated again like this. And of course it is running the correct gearing.

Oh and just a hint...if you don't solder the motor wires good (dry joint), it'll intermittently cut-out with a locked rotor detection error...

edseb 12-02-2004 09:27 AM

Brushless at SoCal is misleading. They will allow in Novice and Intermediate if no one complains. The idea is that in those classses, its more about getting around the track without crashing. The torque is much higher with the BL sysytem and even in stock mode the 4300 is faster. I know, I used to run it in the stock class until Slim started to handicap me 5 seconds a lap if I chose to run it. In Sportsman Stock Class they will not let you run it. The drivers are too good and the advatage the BL has is too noticeable. They will let you run it in mod. But, brushed motors have the advantage here, the BL isn't as fast as a good brushed motor. When 4wd is run, some guys have been successful with the BL system, since the torque the BL system creates is great for 4wd, but that might not mke up for the other advantages brushed motors have in mod.

Sgt_Morrow 01-03-2005 01:46 AM

Here is everything you want to know about them http://www.teamnovak.com/Download/ac...port_Instr.pdf