new RC 1/10 Short Course truck??????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new RC 1/10 Short Course truck??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Rookie

About two years ago I bought my son a 2wd slash. Since then the slash has been upgraded to brushless motor. He also just started racing his slash. First race he came in 5th second from last place so not bad for his first time racing.

Now, onto the Torment. For Christmas, I bought this truck for my 5 year old son. At the track, I put a 7 cell battery in the car and told him to have fun. The 7 cell was the only battery charged at the time. He really could not control the truck with the larger battery. He broke the hub within about 10 minutes. My other son did the same thing with his slash when he first was on the track with the same battery. Since then I upgraded the hubs with RPM hubs, slash bearings and AE turnbuckles. It worked out great. No problems with the truck so far. The truck is great for beginners who just want to have fun. The servo is very slow which is good for beginners. The motor does not have a lot of torque. It is very easy to control for my 5 year old son with the stock 6 cell battery. The car did not flip over as much as my son's traxxas did when he first got it. The body looks better than the racer's edge body. The only drawbacks are the HCG and screws not allens. Its a great beginner rig for beginners. Easy to work on. I did change the oil and tighten down the slipper clutch. Also, I put liquid tape over the ESC to help waterproof it.

For Christmas, my wife bought me a racer's edge pro2. Out of the box the truck has problems. Most of the hardware screws are stripped. So far, I had to drill out two screws. The servo broke within 5 minutes of driving it around the track. Not sure why since I did not hit anything. The truck kept spinning out during the out of the box test drive. I could not keep it from spinning out until I had adjusted the slipper clutch. The gear mesh was not set correctly making really rough noises. The rear nerf bars snapped off on the first run on the track. So for me the Racers Edge pro 2 has not really held up at all considering the servo and nerf bars broke.

I do not blame my wife for buying me this truck. She really does not know anything about the truck. I kind of wish she would have let me pick out the truck. I would have gone with the HPI blitz. Now, I have to see if this truck will work or not. I do not want to spend any more money on it than I have to if it does not hold up to racing. I will take out my son's Torment if I want to bash.

I think some of you are being too critical for a truck priced under 175.00. It is a nice beginner truck which does not require much work to keep it solid for the bashers. Heck, my 5 year old is alot harder on a truck than I am. He hits everything and trys goes top speed all of the time. Whereas, I am more cautious. I would rather have his controller over mine. I would say the only upgrade down the road for his truck is a higher torque motor once he is able to control it better.

For my truck, it needs a better servo; better transmitter and receiver; better tires; better hardware; List goes on. The racers edge body is painted horribly. Heck, I can paint better than what was out of the box. At it is I think I am going to tear the truck down and replace all of the hardware. Not even sure it is worth it to upgrade.

Last edited by JimH1962; 12-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ECX Torment

This thread started out with a lot of criticism and negativity....(a lot, from "first impressions")
I'd like to change that, at least, add my input:
I work at a local hobby shop, part time....and sold a bunch of these during this last Christmas season...and being a new item, the store stocked a wall of spare parts.
The only spare parts that we have sold so far, are:
A drive shaft set (Someone tore up an outdrive)
and a Diff gear set (From a 5700KV brushless motor swap, and really hard bashing) ..... The driveshaft set might have even gone to the same person..LOL, but, so far, no complaints or replacement parts sold to anyone else yet!
For an entry level truck, I think there is a lot of Bang for the Buck here!
There is also 2 good reviews on bigsquidrc....one as a basher/racer, and a follow up review, on improving performance for track use, with mods under $5.00
Here is one link: http://www.bigsquidrc.com/ecx-tormen...hz-rtr-review/
Based on what I've read, and experienced with the number of units sold, and no complaints from customers (in stock configuration), I thought I'd take one home and give it a try myself.
I removed the Spektrum unit, as I use all Futaba radio gear. As far as I can tell, The ESC needed some throttle trim to find neutral, and there doesn't seem to be any "Setup programing" available. ??? The ESC also, (at least on mine) does not have any "Brake". It just goes from FWD to REV.
I will have to investigate more, with tech support, and see if it's something I am overlooking.
Drove the truck stock today....and, for the money, great starter RC truck. I'm sure it will delight any RC newcomer!
My original intended post, was to say, that being primarily an On-Road racer, I thought this vehicle would suit the needs of a low cost basher, and during today's test run, I tied my German Shepard's toy ball, to a string mounted to the rear bumper, and he loved chasing the ball around the backyard!
Only problem with that, when he catches the ball....the rear of the truck gets lifted off the ground.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Rookie

We have a huge off-road track in our RV park-lanes are 20 ft wide-triple jumps-also high speed oval option.
Mostly brushless trucks and I keep up very nicely-Easy to drive flat out
Don't matter how fast you are if you can't keep it on the track!
Durable too! Have not broke anything-only changed the rear wheels & tires for better grip
I used to have brushless setups, but with the high speeds was always replacing parts

Yeah, I keep coming in second to the new Losi 4x4, but I don't have $600 invested!

Craig
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just got one of these over the weekend and for the money it's a sweet ride! It may need some minor upgrades over time (shocks, ESC/motor, turnbuckles), it's still a good truck. My 2yr old can drive it and he loves too chase it too, so I'm sold!

The trouble right now is finding the metal gear for the tranny!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I bought my 8 yr a ecx ruckus a year ago almost. Sense then I added a fuse brushless system under $100 added the metal trans, upgraded the shocks. I like driving his truck more then my $1000 vehicles. So easy to work on parts are cheep. For a $150 platform one can add $200 more and have a blast. For less then $400 this is a fun machine and I'm still using stock servo. No real problems only shock eyes brake now and then and that's my fault. Ecx ruckus worth the Money