Wiki Posts
Search

how to set up a sc truck using scales

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default how to set up a sc truck using scales

never used scales before looking for some insight on how to tune with the scales
Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think the general process is to use the scales to balance the chassis first. Balance left/right is more important that front/back. left/right should be 50/50 and front/back, could be 35/65 or 30/70 for a 2WD, but closer to 50/50 for 4WD.

Once that is done, you can then choose the correct springs, oil, pistons, etc.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Info

I was wondering what the ratio was supposed to be.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdhyams
I was wondering what the ratio was supposed to be.
That is a long, debateable topic. In general, the numbers suggested in the previous post are good general starting points.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've got a few questions?

I'm having problems getting repeatable results. I could take the truck off the scales, then put the track back on an get different results.

Do you set the truck on the scales then push it down to get it to ride height?

Cross weights? I've got the chassis balanced, w/ a string and a level, side to side. The truck flew great and was much better than before. I then bought some scales, found out the string method got me within a few grams.

BUT, the cross weights were off, the heaviest wheels were on the opposite side from each other. So I used the shock collars to even them out, the truck then flew like it did before, not flat.

I tried using weights to adjust the cross weight but could never get it close enough, and w/ the different results everytime I weigh the thing, I'm losing faith somewhat.

Could one of you gurus chime in?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

I recommend reading this entire thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ber-links.html

I forget exactly where the scales sub-discussion starts, but there is a lot of good tuning information throughout the whole thread.

Here is a good summary of how to go about tuning:

http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23083

If you can't see that for some reason, I'll put it here. It references the thread I put above, too.

Originally Posted by nytryder
#1 Balance the chassis. If you don't have scales, use a string tied to the centers of your bumpers and hang it from the middle(for left/right balance). Find and mark the center point of the chassis by measuring from front axle to rear axle. Place chassis on a piece of round pipe and balance it front to rear. It should balance as close to the centerpoint as possible, with it having a very slight rear weight bias. Mine balanced about 1/8" behind center.
It is important to balance the chassis both front to rear and left to right with battery and all electronics installed. Try to mount your receiver next to your esc to add weight to the right front of chassis.

#2 Balance your shock springs to your chassis WITHOUT OIL (without pistons preferred) at ride height. Make sure there is zero binding anywhere in the suspension or you'll be spinning your wheels here.
All other suspension adjustments hinge around this! DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

#3 adjust your shock oil/pistons to the type of terrain you're running on.
Once you get your suspension to handle the bumps properly, then you can move on to how it handles in the turns.

#4 Choose the right tires for your track

#5 Adjust your camberlinks and camber/toe. I suggest starting with the Traxxas "slayden" setup as a baseline setup. you will be tuning with these instead of moving shock locations around.

#6 Adjust swaybars as necessary.

#7 adjust your diff fluids as necessary.

Refer to this link for details on each step. [url
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/519561-tune-camber-links.html[/url]
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stalnakerracing
never used scales before looking for some insight on how to tune with the scales

First, you need an adjustable leveling board and four scales.

I suggested you buy this for the price:

http://www.lefthander-rc.com/catalog...oducts_id=1638

1) Mark each scale Front Left, Right Rear, etc
2) Level the board and set scales on each corner.
3) Aline each scale so that the tire is in the center of the scale and remove vehicle.
4) Turn on the scales
5) Set vehicle on the scales.
6) Press down on center of vehicle to set corner weights after rebound
7) Read and write wheel weights.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
I think the general process is to use the scales to balance the chassis first. Balance left/right is more important that front/back. left/right should be 50/50 and front/back, could be 35/65 or 30/70 for a 2WD, but closer to 50/50 for 4WD.

Once that is done, you can then choose the correct springs, oil, pistons, etc.
100% correct!

Left to Right chassis weight should be 50/50 for off-road
Front to rear start-out at 35/65 2WD
Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
Left to Right chassis weight should be 50/50 for off-road.
IMO this is wrong. Having bias to the left or the right isn't the worst thing ever, contrary to popular belief. However, you must get the cross weight correct, which may or may not mean wedging the chassis depending on the track. Indy cars have been using asymmetrical setups on road courses for more than two decades for good reason - there are more turns one way than another.

If you aren't leveling (or at least checking to make sure it's level) your scale board every time you use it, you are wasting your time.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
I recommend reading this entire thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ber-links.html

I forget exactly where the scales sub-discussion starts, but there is a lot of good tuning information throughout the whole thread.

Here is a good summary of how to go about tuning:

http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23083

If you can't see that for some reason, I'll put it here. It references the thread I put above, too.
This setup process is for the ssclcg 4x4 slash chassis. Some of these steps do not apply to other vehicles.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

This setup process is for the ssclcg 4x4 slash chassis. Some of these steps do not apply to other vehicles.

Every race car I've ever scaled I've done the same way, RC or real.

You level the scales.
You put the chassis on the scales.
You bounce the chassis slightly on the scales to settle things out.
You note the weights.
You bounce the chassis again.
You compare the weights to the first reading, and if they are different, you try to identify why.
You make adjustments, and start over again until you are happy.

Some of us do an extra step and do some math after the first reading....this is not that hard! If us oval donkeys who only turn left can figure it out, anybody can.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Please see Heavy Duty's post (post #6) I was referring to. steps 2 & 5 have steps that apply specifically to the ssclcg slash 4x4, and not all rc's.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Please see Heavy Duty's post (post #6) I was referring to. steps 2 & 5 have steps that apply specifically to the ssclcg slash 4x4, and not all rc's.
I read them. They apply (or don't apply) to every car, not just Slash. I don't agree with step #2 (don't feel it changes the outcome meaningfully) but it's not bad tech.

Checking alignment, setting ride height, checking corner weights, and then REPEATING that process after you make an adjustment is pretty standard.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vegatron75
Could one of you gurus chime in?
Post your wheel weights (LR, LF, RR, RF) and ride heights with it adjusted the way you had it jumping correctly, please.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Post your wheel weights (LR, LF, RR, RF) and ride heights with it adjusted the way you had it jumping correctly, please.
Will do Craig, my shocks are apart at the moment, waiting on the 2-stages pistons. They should be here tonite. I'll get it on the scales then.

I read some of the "tune w/ " thread. Seen the carnage left after the scaling discussion....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.