Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbywing vs SpeedPassion vs Orion

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default Hobbywing vs SpeedPassion vs Orion

I didn't post this up in any of their individual threads because it has to deal with all three of them as well as I figured I'd get a lot of biased opinions or answers. My question is what is the exact difference between these three brands? Aren't they basically under the same company (well built by the same company) or am I wrong on that? Is one actually better then the other? I am just curious as to why if they all are basically the same one costs 3-4 times then the other etc etc. If I read their threads correctly you can even use the same lcd programming card on any one of them just as long as you load it with the correct software/firmware...........

Please no flaming or bashing just curious and thought I'd ask..........
Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
I didn't post this up in any of their individual threads because it has to deal with all three of them as well as I figured I'd get a lot of biased opinions or answers. My question is what is the exact difference between these three brands? Aren't they basically under the same company (well built by the same company) or am I wrong on that? Is one actually better then the other? I am just curious as to why if they all are basically the same one costs 3-4 times then the other etc etc. If I read their threads correctly you can even use the same lcd programming card on any one of them just as long as you load it with the correct software/firmware...........

Please no flaming or bashing just curious and thought I'd ask..........
I think the difference is firmware architecture. It all runs off the same box, but the firmware from ESC to ESC might be slightly different along with the look. I really don't think you will ever get a strait answer from either company. When I was a dealer for Speed Passion I asked if they are made by Hobbywing, they said no.

Trinity/Orion/Team Checkpoint, Reedy, Thunder Power to name a few all have clones or are clones of one another with different looks.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well I have run both the 150amp hobbywing 1/8 offering and the 180amp Orion R 8 Pro and will tell you the Orion is much smoother and has a lower resisitance output, as stated on the two boxes. The Hobbywing programmer DOES work on the Orion however doesn't work on the Orion R10, and will not take the firmware as is does not recognise it...