Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need suggestions on ESC Motors n Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Need suggestions on ESC Motors n Controllers

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. But i have a DF03 RA that im planning to use in my back yard with a replica rally course im gonna try and make.
Im looking for the best waterproof sensored brushless motor, as well as a nice water proof esc to go with it. No clue how im gonna water proof my battery or steering servo.

I also need suggestions on good servos, been using a nice one for my TA05 that i love, i just wish i had a larger turning radius. Im using a servo i got from hobby partz. Id link to it but dont have privileges, its a 60G EXI Digital Coreless Servo D2227F w/ Metal Gear. Theres charts with info about it on hobby partz if you find the servo there.

I also need suggestions on controllers/transmitters.
Ive been using the Fly Sky GT3 B and it seems very buggy. Its a nice starter setup, but the instructions dont tell me everything i need to know. And ive had tons of problems that were instantly solved when i switched to my new one which i purchased for the rally build.

Any tips, guides, suggestions, links are much appreciated.
-Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You could try an all Traxxas setup (ESC, motor and servo). Would be plenty for your buggy and they're waterproof. I know it isn't sensored but in a replica track, you won't get much speed so you could probably make the gearing low enough that it would feel "almost" like a sensored setup.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the late night/early day response :P

The main thing that bothered me about non sensored motors was all that jitter when going from a stand still to reverse or forwards.

Mainly i just care about that for my on road drifter, but i think it would be very essential to have to have for an off roader since im trying to run a multi terrain track... at least in the small amount of space i have to work with.

So u think a low enough ratio would give me a nice feel and i could just go wtih a traxxass water proof setup? Or what exactly are u tryin to make a point of, sry im a super newb when it comes to rc cars, i just know the basics and how to put em together, just like computers. You tell me the parts will work together and ill make it for ya, i just wanna learn more so i can match parts on my own.

I was already kinda thinking about throwing the sensored motor idea out the window for my off road build, are there any other water proof motors than the traxxus setup that are popular?
I love my leopard motor just because its basically encased in a heat sink with durable mesh connectors at looks completely sealed off, but i have no clue whether it would be water proof or not. I can tell ya after i replace my ESC on my TA-05 (drifter) if it is tho lol.

Have you heard about the speed passion 10.5? I saw a video on youtube, i cant post links but just look up "10.5 sensored brushless in water" Looks promising but then again they modded it to be able to run in ther water like that.

Im just looking for a setup where i can bash it around in my back yard on bricks, dirt ramps, close to scaled gravel, grass, and in the wet. Id also be using it when the gutters around my neighborhood get some water in em. Thats how i got screwed on my leopard setup in my ta05... didnt see the gutter cuz of a parked car... next thing i know i was chassis deep in water
Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't believe you can run a truly waterproof censored set up. In terms of waterproof esc's that aren't from traxxas, I only know of venom. They have waterproof motor and esc combo's, though they won't be out until september. The speed passion esc's are just rebranded hobbywing esc's, so I would suggest getting one of those, because they're cheaper (though neither are waterproof)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Tech Initiate

What would be my best bet for water resistance then? If i drop the thing in a pool i know it wont run and i dont plan to ever even think about it going under water. I just wanna feel safe knowing that if i splash thru the gutter, if its drizzling or if i water down my dirt lot of a back yard i wont run into any problems.

It seems like all the connectors are what keeps stuff from being water proof, that and not sealing stuff to be water proof. But I saw someone with a non waterproof sensored brushless motor they were running in a cup of water, but they mentioned if the connections got wet it would probably break.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've seen Novak setups with brushless cans do some puddle hopping without an issue.. I've seen VXL setup completely submerged without issues.. I'm just not a fan of water & mud period anymore I did my fair share of cleaning 1:1 rigs growing up after mudding I'm not interested in doing it with my toys :P