Wiki Posts
Search

Can I replace these caps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Can I replace these caps?

I have a Ezrun 60amp esc and by capacitors came off of the double sided tape and drug on the ground resulting in one of them being lost. I didn't realize one had gone until I was done bashing around, so I know there was no ill effect from not having it, but I know there is a purpose. Can I use these caps and just splice them in where the old ones went?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/sucamoforxse.html

Here is a pic of my caps.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...-14_142056.jpg
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Yeah those will work , I had the same thing happen too me and I used the cap from a Novak ESC I had that quit working.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
Yeah those will work , I had the same thing happen too me and I used the cap from a Novak ESC I had that quit working.
Alright sweet. They are only $3 so I'm ok with that. What exactly are they for anyway?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Power caps usually have one of 2 functions. Either to store a small amount of voltage or to suppress power spikes. Your cap is probably there to suppress spikes under braking. I can't get your pic link to work. That HW super cap you showed is good, but it's best if you can match the specs on the cap you had. If you can see the voltage and uf ratings in your pic, try to find one that matches.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Power caps usually have one of 2 functions. Either to store a small amount of voltage or to suppress power spikes. Your cap is probably there to suppress spikes under braking. I can't get your pic link to work. That HW super cap you showed is good, but it's best if you can match the specs on the cap you had. If you can see the voltage and uf ratings in your pic, try to find one that matches.
Ok I'll check that prior to buying new ones. Is it best to just have these caps than just the one cap that is still attached?