Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30000 RPM Brushless Sweet spot

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 30000 RPM Brushless Sweet spot

I have read several times that 30000 rpm is the preferred rpm for brushless motors. I have 2 questions:
1. why is 30000 preferred?

2. Is 30000 the preferred max rpm due to voltage selected or the average rpm a motor reaches at a given track due to gearing, vehicle weight, track layout, etc..........
Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by n2racenfast
I have read several times that 30000 rpm is the preferred rpm for brushless motors. I have 2 questions:
1. why is 30000 preferred?

2. Is 30000 the preferred max rpm due to voltage selected or the average rpm a motor reaches at a given track due to gearing, vehicle weight, track layout, etc..........

It comes from several years of real world testing. Truthfully, the motors themselves can turn up to 60k rpm with no problems. However, in racing 1/8th scale we have found that 30k is the sweet spot for best efficiency, heat (or lack thereof), and gearing.

When we first started converting cars five or six years ago, we used mostly Neu Motors and the most popular choice was the 1512 1.5d which was a 3300kv motor. ON 4s we were pushing 47k rpms. The lower pinions and high rpm seemed to help with cogging since we were using modded 1/10 escs mostly. As the speed controls, gearing, and batteries were refined we found matching the rpm to nitros actually worked well with electric especially as we were on a quest for run time since we typically still raced with nitros.

3s to 6s, it really doesn't matter all that much. Just keep the voltage x kv between 27-34k rpms generally for best results.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 30000

So this is referencing voltage only max rpm, regarding motor kv and volts.

Thanks for clearing that up. My background is automotive where average rpm is very important, regarding gearing and stuff!