Wiki Posts
Search

Any new rc's worth collecting ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Any new rc's worth collecting ?

With the vintage rc market going strong it makes me wonder if any of the current or recent releases are worth buying and holding for a while. New in the box more so than used. I'm not sure if any are but whats your opinion?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Maybe like the sc10 4x4 since it has a belt drive or the tlr 22 since it has a steering rack as opposed to bell cranks and it brought back the aluminum chassis. Anything that has a feature that was never done before
Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

idk about the SC10 4x4 being that special. i belive they use the same thing in the sc18. belt drive in offroad isnt that rare. Losi uses it in their 4wd buggy line, and there use to be a 4wd mod for the Rc10 by MIP for Legends kit.
i think 22 would could be part of the collection cause of the new rack and chassis being different. along with the kit option of mid or rear motor configuration.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The vintage RC's are cool because they are what started the whole thing. Those of us that were racing back in the 80's love them because thats what we raced so its cool to see what it was like.
I dont think todays cars will be worth much in the future. I bet a $200 car from today will be worth $200 or less in 20 years. You are better off investing your money in an IRA, 401k, or even a plain old savings account!
A mint 65' mustang is kick ass.......a mint 85' mustang.....not so much!!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would say of all the new cars that have came out the Durango dex410 for release from Durango and JQ products THE CAR LE if you can still find a unbuilt one these might have a chance of being worth something
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

the low production ones will be the ones to have. The original xfactory x5, 3 gear x6, jconcepts first bj4, some of the slash conversions and hop ups ThunderTech, rce and other conversions like crc losi ect. anything cool but not common

but mellen_mpz is right you will not get rich off rc that is for sure
Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I agree with the comment that the reasons why alot of the vintage rc's from back in the day are collectors items because they are what got rc's started etc....... With the amount of rc companies today and the competition level I really don't think there are any that are worth buying as collectors items....... I seriously disagree on the losi 22 to be one, yes it has the mid motor option, but how many racers do you see using that option in the US........ The sc10 4x4 is the same, yes they are the first to use a belt drive on a 1/10th 4x4 sct (could be wrong, but I don't know of any others), and the steering assembly to me is the best out there, which makes it a great racer with its turning capabilities....... But will it be a collectors item down the road, I doubt it, maybe just to a few diehard AE fans, just like the 22..........
Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I realize that a fully built brand new shelf queen would probably be really cool to have as kind of RC Art, but I don't suggest EVER buying RC cars as an investment. Sure they have the possibility of going up in price, but it'd be at a snails pace and even so, there's no promise that it would. If you're looking for an investment, there's a ton of better places to sink your money that are not speculative, just slow growers. There's very few vehicles that are really worth anything as a collectors car and they usually are either seen as innovative, rare or just such a huge winning design that it's iconic.

But, if you really are bent on doing it, the only one that I can think of that fits 2 of the 3 criteria of a collectors car of the current crop of vehicles is the original 2wd Slash. Stay with me on this one...The overall design and use of the type of drive train wasn't anything innovative, but it revamped the entire RC Car industry and was responsible for a plethora of new racing classes from Spec Slash (very few tracks ever run this class anymore, however a few years ago was all the rage), Stock SC, Mod SC, Pro 2 to Pro 4, these were all derivatives that would cease to exist without the Slash's introduction. It also has a winning history. Sure, now nobody thinks of the Slash as a race truck as other manufacturers have introduced trucks that leave it in the water (get it, they're also waterproof...ok, I'll keep my day job lol) but when they came out, they were a legitimate race truck that invented it's own class. No, they're not rare one bit, but in 30 years, people will probably be pulling them out of the closet to rebuild due to the nostalgia factor of the truck that got them into RC in the first place, much like people my age are doing with the Gold Pan RC10's. Speaking of RC10's, I think I paid about $300 brand new for my kit back in 1985 or '86. for $300 bux, you can usually find a pretty nice one in great condition for that price. So even the iconic RC10 Gold Pan hasn't appreciated too much in that time, just food for thought. Yes I know people have paid up to about $1200 for a NIB RC10, but that's rare and I'd be interested in the last time they've changed hands and for how much as the vintage market has been hit pretty hard by the down economy.

Then, there's the case that even if you find one that's "collectible" then 30 years later the manufacturer decides to cash in on nostalgic musings of people, so they come out with a "re-issue" Next thing you know, the prices of the originals may take a huge hit. Look at the Tamiya Stadium Blitzer as an example. I have a friend that has one that's never even been built. He put together the front end, then lost interest. He asked me if I wanted to buy it or knew anyone that would. I thought it might be worth like $300 since it's a new never fully built car, even has unpainted body with all the stickers. I posed the question of what it's worth in a Stadium Blitzer thread on another forum, the answer I got back was that it was probably worth the same or even less than the re-issue!

Because you want to keep it new in box, that takes out the fun of having it displayed like a piece of art, so basically it'd just be this vehicle that you would love to run but wont and it'll be a big box that takes up a bunch of space in an attic or something. I don't suggest it.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only one I would suggest would be the HPI Baja SC, being the first real 1/5 SC truck it will have its place in history 10 years down the line when every company and there mother is making 1/5 SC trucks.

Just my personal opinion.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
With the vintage rc market going strong it makes me wonder if any of the current or recent releases are worth buying and holding for a while. New in the box more so than used. I'm not sure if any are but whats your opinion?

anything good but overpriced when compared in performance to cheaper more readily available product. JQ the car?? yokomo? Schooy??? Dex's perhaps.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

There has been great points made on this.

The Baja, the Slash etc. all fit the collector's mentality. You could actually say any of the first run SCT's (blitz, sc10) etc.

The issue you have is NIB is never an increase in value really. There are only a couple models that are worth more now NIB than when they were bought. Blazing Blazer for instance. You're not going to find that and if you "miss" then you're stuck with a 20 year old RC car worth less then when you paid for it.

For every person who pays $300 for a NIB RC10 gold pan, there are 100 people paying $100-$125 for a great condition RC10 gold pan. The same will happen in the future.