Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi TEN-SCTE 4WD - best battery, ESC and motor combo? >

Losi TEN-SCTE 4WD - best battery, ESC and motor combo?

Like Tree2Likes

Losi TEN-SCTE 4WD - best battery, ESC and motor combo?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Losi TEN-SCTE 4WD - best battery, ESC and motor combo?

I've got a Losi truck on backorder. It seems very popular!

I'm gonna do a lot of bashing in the street and yard, plus I want to do some racing. Can someone please recommend a good ESC/MOTOR/BATTERY combo that would kick a$$? I'm interested in LOTS of power and speed. Price is not really a concern. I already have a great Spektrum radio system, plus I have lots of servos laying around, and I have good battery chargers.

I've been basically a nitro racer for the past 6 years. Just now giving up nitro and getting fully into electric.

Thanks for any advice!

-
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
I've got a Losi truck on backorder. It seems very popular!

I'm gonna do a lot of bashing in the street and yard, plus I want to do some racing. Can someone please recommend a good ESC/MOTOR/BATTERY combo that would kick a$$? I'm interested in LOTS of power and speed. Price is not really a concern. I already have a great Spektrum radio system, plus I have lots of servos laying around, and I have good battery chargers.

I've been basically a nitro racer for the past 6 years. Just now giving up nitro and getting fully into electric.

Thanks for any advice!

-
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ck-thread.html
Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, yes, yes - I know that thread is there. But it's 500 pages for Gawd's sake. I don't wanna spend hours looking for the answer to my question. I'm just looking for a couple of recommendations.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes, yes, yes - I know that thread is there. But it's 500 pages for Gawd's sake. I don't wanna spend hours looking for the answer to my question. I'm just looking for a couple of recommendations.

Thanks
Read the first post, I did the digging for you...
Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Thanks
Seems to be the common mentality these days .
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Read the first post, I did the digging for you...

There's ~15 motors and ~10 ESC's listed there. They are not broken down into categories, or top speed, or maintenance, or battery life, etc, etc. I'm willing to bet that some are better than others for my purposes. I've described my intentions and now I'm trying to find someone in a similar situation with a successful combo.

Look, I've been a muscle car guy and hot rodder for 40+ years. I am very familiar with the HUGE variations in performance with somewhat similar parts. Setting up a good street machine really depends on the end user's preferences. I could tell him to throw in a GM Performance crate 454, but which one? The high torque version? The high HP version? The race-only version? What tranny? What rear end gears?

You've done a nice job with that thread, SaladFork. Kudos to you for that! But just listing a bunch of motors and ESC's that will fit really doesn't help me choose which one to purchase.

thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Briguy
Seems to be the common mentality these days .

Wow, what is wrong with you guys? Do you want the whole forum to be condensed down into a dozen humongous threads? Can no one ask a specific question?

Mods, please feel free to delete this thread, as it certainly appears that all I've done is pizz people off.
kenmtb likes this.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The tenshock combo is probably one of the best bargains, and a lot of people seem to like the performance as well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/1...120A-2-4S.html

That is the direct website to order from, if you want you can also order from the states.

http://www.ckhobby.com

That is an importer of the motors/esc.

There are a ton of different options for motors/escs though. Its really personal choice. If you have a LHS, or a race club, you can see a lot of different combos while they are being run, and im sure many, if not all of the racers will be more than helpful with their experiences and suggestions on motors/esc.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

well, for the time being, untill the tekin sensored 4pole motor is available, the castle 1410 motor or the tenshock 400kv motor is the top two choices. as far as esc's the rx8 is the top dog. Batteries are debatable, Losi Xcelorin 2S Li-Poly Hard Case Battery Pack 60C (7.4V/6000mAh), or Team Orion 2S "Carbon Pro" 90C Li-Poly Battery Pack w/Tubes (7.4V/6500mAh), I havent tried these batteries, butam very comfortable saying that they are top quality. I am using Promatch 60c 6200mah 2s hardcase batteries, and they have been great so far.
Hope this helps
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Wow, what is wrong with you guys? Do you want the whole forum to be condensed down into a dozen humongous threads? Can no one ask a specific question?

Mods, please feel free to delete this thread, as it certainly appears that all I've done is pizz people off.
Not pizzed at all . These days it is very common for people to ask everyone else to do their research for them . If you skim through the thread Salad posted you would see all the opinions on different setups people have tried and use .

there is already several threads on the topic , no need to start a new one .
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Briguy
Not pizzed at all . These days it is very common for people to ask everyone else to do their research for them . If you skim through the thread Salad posted you would see all the opinions on different setups people have tried and use .

there is already several threads on the topic , no need to start a new one .

If there are other threads on same topic, then that is my bad and I apologize.

But I will not apologize for seeking to avoid 996 pages of reading, when all I want are a few simple suggestions that may OR MAY NOT be answered somewhere in aforementioned 996 pages. Did I mention that there are 996 pages? How long does it take to "skim" though ~15,000 replies??? LOLOL

And please lighten up on the patronizing attitude. I am not asking anyone here to do my research for me. I'm asking for some opinions, which btw is the whole point of the forum - to share information. For someone who says "Not pizzed at all", you certainly seem aggravated. Chill out man. Grab a Xanax or equivalent, LOL. Heck, I'll even buy you a beer.

Peace
Old 07-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Chevy....I would suggest Castle 1410 w/MMP or RX8 esc. I really like the MMP, haven't had a bit of trouble with it. You will find problems with every ESC if you read enough forums, so buy what you like or in stock and be done with it.
Lipo's are personal. I run turnigy, venom, and Orion carbon. All work great, but I really like the power and capacity of the Orion 90c 6500mah's. Overkill...yes, but don't have to worry about power loss or runtime's in mains.

Gear the 1410 14-18t depending on track size. For bashing run a 16-18t and it will be plenty fast....if that's what your looking for.

Another motor that is crazy fun if just bashing is the Castle 2400 on 3s lipo's geared 18-20t. Can be raced also, but on 2s it's not as good as 1410.

Ebay has 1410's for $60 and don't let the price fool ya....it's a cool running, fast motor, with plenty of torque for these trucks.

With your spektrum radio you will more than likely need a spektrum cap unless you install a bec. Especially if you run a savox or other power hungry servo. RX8 will not need one.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Don't worry, the guys that follow the thread on a consistent basis will always get on you for starting a new one about a specific question. I wish they would realize how overwhelming it can be when you buy a new ride and want to get all the specifics and current data but have to read 100's of posts, especially the scte thread which is massive. Yea the 1st page is VERY helpfull but doesn't have everything.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Pro-match racing has an awesome pack, 6200 mah 60C for $64.99!! Out of stock right now unfortunatly. I have 15+ cycles through it in my scte and it has not swollen a bit and puch is incredible. Stay away from the Venom packs, I had to take mine apart 5 times to resolder the connections inside. The Reedy 5500 60c is good as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I agree. If there's one thing I don't like about this forum that would be it. Makes it impossible to find an answer. Search function becomes pointless. And if you ask it in the "Official" thread you get hammered for asking something that's already been answered. If you fall 3 days behind on the SCTE thread you'll have 30 pages of crap to read, haha. But, here we are.
kenmtb likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.