Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to get old T3 running again, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you're looking for a cheap, decent radio setup, I have a 2 channel Traxxas 2.4ghz transmitter and 5 channel receiver I can sell you for $50 shipped. If you're interested send me a PM and we can work it out.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Or I have a JR XR2 for 20......
Old 08-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

already ordered one,lol. says this system is a direct hook up for castle link programmer. anyone used this? tuning my rc from my computer sounds pretty badass! plus im not likin this beep beep question game,lol
Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Adept

finally running,lol. got the futaba receiver and new servo in. so basically everything is new in this 10 year old beast, and it rips! got a few random parts. got some shock oil in it cuz they were all dry. replaced all wheel bearings which made a HUGE difference. but after about 10 minutes i lost control on the road, nailed a curb and lost the front wheel nut. im a pretty decent rc driver, but this thing is impossible to control! once it gets up close to top speed its like its on ice.

got some wheel nuts ordered and a castle programmer, cuz i cant figure out how to tune this thing.

wanting some wheels/tires and a new body. does the t4 body fit pretty easily? ive a couple t3's with the t4 body and it looks like they just drilled new holes.

and do all associated wheels fit the t3? every wheel now says t4 or gt2, im guessin their all the same axle size?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

couple pics

Old 08-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Not sure about the T4 body. You'd definitely ahve to drill different mounting holes. They're in a different spot, and the T3 only has one body post in the rear. Not sure how the shock towers would line up either.

As far as wheels, some of it depends on your truck. If you have CVD's, then you have 3/16" axles. If you have dogbones, you may or may not have 1/4" axles. I believe that the rear wheels from all of the AE trucks (T2, 3, 4, RC10GT, GT2) will work, pretty sure they're all the same offset. Except for the GT2 and T4 wheels that are for the quick release hubs.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

when i put new bearings in the back they were 3/16's. would that mean the axles are 3/16?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FormulaOfSpeed
when i put new bearings in the back they were 3/16's. would that mean the axles are 3/16?
Yep.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Adept

rebuilt the diff, replace original tranny bushing with bearings,got a 2s lipo, got some wheels,tires and mounted a revo wing just to be different.

runs good except for some grinding still somewhere in the gears

Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Here's my T3. Just took 3rd place in expert 17.5 on saturday. Who says they can't throw it down with t4.1s?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation

Hi, Im rebuilding my T3 as well and I have a few doubts...

Wich Size is the Front and Rear Bearings? Cuz I find alot of options on Ebay and im Confused.

Did you Replaced the Spur Gear with the BL Motor or you remained Stock with the 87T?

Wich P Gear are you using? Stock 20T RTR or Team 19T?

Does the Shocks are the same for the RC10GT? Cuz Im planning on buying new ones but its hard to find specifics for the T3. I Want to buy these:
(I Cant post URLs yet so just search on Ebay:
""Shock Suspension Damper Fits Losi XXX NT Rc10 gt xxxt B"" )

Also I bought a 5.5T 6000KV BL System for my T3 but I dont know if the Tranny would hold up (Waiting for my Lipo 2S 40C Battery), Im using a 17T Race Prep Motor with no issues on the Team 19T P Gear Runs a Little Hot but nothing excessive. What do You think? Can I use the Stock 19T P Gear with the BL Motor? Im Aiming for SPEED and Doing On-Road only with very little Off-Road from time to time.

Thanks for Any Input!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Download the manual from the AE website. It will tell you all the part numbers, give you the length of the shock bodies, etc. so you can tell what matches.

Front wheel bearings are 3/16" x 3/8". Rear hub carrier bearings are usually the same size. I think some of the early T3's had 1/4" dogbones. If you have CVD's they're 3/16", and most of the dogbones are also. If it's 1/4", the part of the dogbone that fits through the bearings will look kind of fat, then taper quickly into the axle.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Hi, Im rebuilding my T3 as well and I have a few doubts...

Wich Size is the Front and Rear Bearings? Cuz I find alot of options on Ebay and im Confused.

Did you Replaced the Spur Gear with the BL Motor or you remained Stock with the 87T?

Wich P Gear are you using? Stock 20T RTR or Team 19T?

Does the Shocks are the same for the RC10GT? Cuz Im planning on buying new ones but its hard to find specifics for the T3. I Want to buy these:
(I Cant post URLs yet so just search on Ebay:
""Shock Suspension Damper Fits Losi XXX NT Rc10 gt xxxt B"" )

Also I bought a 5.5T 6000KV BL System for my T3 but I dont know if the Tranny would hold up (Waiting for my Lipo 2S 40C Battery), Im using a 17T Race Prep Motor with no issues on the Team 19T P Gear Runs a Little Hot but nothing excessive. What do You think? Can I use the Stock 19T P Gear with the BL Motor? Im Aiming for SPEED and Doing On-Road only with very little Off-Road from time to time.

Thanks for Any Input!
mine were 3/16x3/8. urs prolly will be too. for gearing ive got the stock 18/87. i wanted to gear it higher so i got a 20t pinion, but the 87 spur is too big to fit the p. so i got a 75 spur, and its too small! lol

the tranny is actually pretty strong is these trucks. if i could get mine to stop being wierd on takeoff, it would be perfect. its just a small grind sound every once in awhile when it takes off. the dogbones outdrives are a little worn, so there is some play from when i hit the throttle, to when it takes off. thought about trying cvd's and see if that helps
Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the Input!

Yes I indeed have the Manual and Parts Catalog but it only says Part Numbers for AE Parts and most of EBAY Bearing are in Aftermarket.

Yes I can see my Driveshafts have a little wear (If I reverse they make a Click, Click, Click and the Hub have alot of Play, Can I upgrade the CVD of the T4 if I upgrade the Rear Wheel Hub? I dont know if they will fit tough.

Thanks Again!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

if the 3/16 bearings fit the rear hub then the axles are 3/16. i was also looking at the t4 cvd kit. on ebay there is cvd kits that actually say t3. but i compared parts, and everything is EXACTLY the same in both kits, so id prolly just buy the t4 kit off tower

ive pretty much just been ordering stuff and hoping it fits,lol. so far so good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.