Wiki Posts
Search

Does equipment matter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Does equipment matter

When I started racing, I did like many, I got in as cheap as possible and I stayed that way for a long time. In fact, until two weeks ago I was still racing my 6 year old B4. I had replaced almost every part on it at some time or another, but it was an oldie. Over the years I slowly purchased better electronics, radios, motors, tires, etc, and my driving has improved along the way. However, I was beginning to get frustrated that despite doing everything I knew how to do to my B4 (and slash which is gone now) I could not keep up with the faster guys at the track. I knew my car was not doing what I wanted it to, but I just couldn't tune its problems out. Long story short, I ditched my B4 for a new Losi 22 and I purchased a FT SC10. Both vehicles improved my lap times and I was able to win both classes for the first time on the first try! The 22 made a huge difference as I was running 35 second lap times in my B4 and I ran 33 with the 22. I had my fastest lap ever with a 31.25.

Long story short, for the longest time I listened to all those folks who said success is 90% driver and 10% equipment. I think this philosophy needs to also include something about driving a car that suits your driving. Having the right equipment does matter. Having a radio with adjustments does matter. Having good servos does matter (a lot IMHO), having a good and smooth esc matters. If you are lacking in any one of these areas, you will have a hard time reaching your potential.

So while I'm sure Tebo, either Ryan, or any other pro could get a box stock slash around the track very well, I surely can't. Get the best stuff you can afford, and get it set up right! Equipment does matter!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

To me it takes practice to be a good driver but having the right equipment matters just as much. Having the right equipment will give you the durability, the adjustments and the edge you need. Being a good driver will allow you exploit those qualities the equipment provides you. You can be a Ryan Cavalieri level of driver, but if your equipment is holding you back or does not have the durability, then it becomes a hindrance. There is the other side of the coin... If you have the best equipment, but have not practiced enough or smart enough, then you will not see the full benefit. Both ways will not give you the win.

Different cars will suit a particular driving style. i like the B4.1 because of the edginess it gives, but have not driven the 22.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Champion

Everything matters in racing. It is always the best combination (including a little luck sometimes).