Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree31Likes

Traxxas 2wd Slash Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Default Traxxas 2wd Slash Thread

Not sure if there ever was one, but this will now be the place to ask questions, discuss new parts, set-up, problems, etc..
elrey77 likes this.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Guess I'm first in this thread. A buddy I work with is selling me a RTR 2WD slash with battery and 2.4G controller for $75. Its got a lot of upgrades like motor, shocks, and some other stuff I dont remember. I think its a good deal, but as a noob I know absolutely nothing about the slash. I just ordered a lunchbox re-re kit which is my first kit ever for $100, so I am thinking this is a killer deal on the slash.

Anybody have some basic info on the slash there care to share? Is this a good deal? Any advice on upgrades?

Thanks, love this site. I have days and days of reading to do.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Chadly
Anybody have some basic info on the slash there care to share? Is this a good deal? Any advice on upgrades?

Thanks, love this site. I have days and days of reading to do.
Yes $75 is a great price. The most bare bones RTR setup is over $200. Big bore shocks are $50, etc.

My son has this truck and, he has a lot of fun with it. He bashes and races with his. He started with the RTR, brushed kit. We've since added the Velineon ESC and motor, as well as Traxxas big bore shocks. The truck has some impressive power since the upgrade.

The two repairs we've had to make were on the tranny (stripped metal gears!) and the plastic housing that holds the front axle.

Last edited by Bdub; 07-16-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

you might think about upgrading bearing carriers,A-arms and changing tires also; Go with RPM parts since they are way stronger and as cheap as the stockers plus offer lifetime quarantee.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A few of the best upgrades to a slash that can be done to make it even more bullet proof are:

-STRC hardened hinge pins
-Traxxas hardened shock shafts
-RPM rear carriers
-RPM front carriers (optional)
-RPM Arms (lighter than stock)
-Jato "mod 0.8" spur gears (56 & 58 tooth) & 32pitch or mod 0.8 pinions
-3mm hardware for converting the shock top screws to just studs
(3x30mm & 3x25mm & 3mm nuts)
-Traxxas aluminum shock caps
-Proline steering rack & aluminum servo arm

Other notes:
The stock Traxxas 2075 servo will not last forever.

With the Jato spur gears you can't run a gear cover, but you won't need it.
The gearing for the Jato spurs would be 56t spur & 13t pinion roughly for stock.
For hot modified motors the 58/10 will be the furthest down in gearing you can go.
oplithium likes this.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

can't believe there are only 4 posts in the "official" slash thread.

so here's my deal. I have a 2wd Slash sitting around. I'm going to do a LCG conversion on it so my son can get into SCT racing.

Which ones are good, which ones are bad, etc?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by godofcable
can't believe there are only 4 posts in the "official" slash thread.

so here's my deal. I have a 2wd Slash sitting around. I'm going to do a LCG conversion on it so my son can get into SCT racing.

Which ones are good, which ones are bad, etc?
I have the STRC LCG kit and love it. it is also probably the cheapest LCG kit.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)
Default 12 Turn vrs 21 Turn

The brushed Slash has a 12 turn motor. I bought a new Traxxas 21 turn motor that I was told was for a Slash. Maybe a few years back.

What difference am I going to see in performance? Torque? Speed, assuming geared the same.

Info would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Blueribbon
The brushed Slash has a 12 turn motor. I bought a new Traxxas 21 turn motor that I was told was for a Slash. Maybe a few years back.

What difference am I going to see in performance? Torque? Speed, assuming geared the same.

Info would be appreciated.
That 21 turn motor is for an E-maxx and was intended to be run on 14.4 volts...this motor will work in your Slash, but it is going to be slow.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BuckMan
That 21 turn motor is for an E-maxx and was intended to be run on 14.4 volts...this motor will work in your Slash, but it is going to be slow.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I started a thread a few days ago... not the OFFICIAL thread but has some good info that we can use here!.... http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-my-slash.html

I have a question... will the xl5 handle a 2s LIPO just fine as long as i run an externalLVC...???
Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TIZAO
I started a thread a few days ago... not the OFFICIAL thread but has some good info that we can use here!.... http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-my-slash.html

I have a question... will the xl5 handle a 2s LIPO just fine as long as i run an externalLVC...???
depends...the newer XL-5 has a built in LVC. If you have an older one, look into what external LVC you want. There is one from Novak that specifically says it doesnt work with the XL-5.

Of course, you could also get a low voltage alarm. It is a small chip that you plug the balance lead from your lipo into. it will make a loud beep when your battery gets to a predetermined voltage. Most are 6.4 volts (3.2 volts per cell). They sell them on ebay for less than $5.

other than watching for the low voltage, the XL-5 will have no issues handling a 2S Lipo.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Tech Addict

^thx
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've gone got me a slash to race with. If I go into a modified class what sort of motor/esc combo is the most popular and fastest?

The truck has velineon at the moment with 2S Lipo. I also just bought an ebay special that has Havoc 3s and Ballistic 8.5t installed. How much faster is this than the velineon, if at all?

Thanks for any advice. I'm going to enter my first race this weekend after being a track basher and nitro user for all my life but never racing so i'm keen to not get left behind!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Punter69
I've gone got me a slash to race with. If I go into a modified class what sort of motor/esc combo is the most popular and fastest?

The truck has velineon at the moment with 2S Lipo. I also just bought an ebay special that has Havoc 3s and Ballistic 8.5t installed. How much faster is this than the velineon, if at all?

Thanks for any advice. I'm going to enter my first race this weekend after being a track basher and nitro user for all my life but never racing so i'm keen to not get left behind!
I would reccomend that you contact your LOCAL track the place you want to race at.... different tracks have different classes and rules.... I went to my LHS where i want to race and told them my situation (much similar to you) and they told me best class to race.... I believe the motor you ordered will be quite faster than your velineon but I am not postitive....

GL with your first race... I am ordering my motor next week then once I get some lipos I will be doing my first off road race!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.