Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Economical Buggy Big Bores...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Most Economical Buggy Big Bores...

Morning.

I'm looking for a set of big bores for a 2WD buggy. I plan to use the 22's springs and whichever shocks are the cheapest. Right now TQ's are on sale for $100 at Amain. Kyosho's are around $140, and I'm not sure about the Losi's as they don't come as a complete set (I'm sure they'll be more than the TQs).

Is there anywhere else that I can look to beat these prices?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most of the big bore shocks are 13mm. If you plan to use losi springs, they are 12mm so you would have to use their shocks. You may want to look for a complete set of losi shocks on ebay as it will be cheaper. Most new brands are all very nice.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It's not a change worth making. There's nothing to gain because the cars have gotten lighter since Lipo came out.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just bought Schumacher big bores to retrofit onto my RC10. I chose them because of the wide spring and piston selection. The tq's didn't have as many choices in this area and the Losi big bore were more expensive.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
Morning.

Kyosho's are around $140

Is there anywhere else that I can look to beat these prices?
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...d=562&id=10451 Your price is close if you include the springs..
Originally Posted by Davidka
It's not a change worth making. There's nothing to gain because the cars have gotten lighter since Lipo came out.
Well, it really depends on your local track, yes the cars have gotten lighter, but a lot of tracks run 1/8 electric on the same track. Which usually attributes to bigger jumps and rougher track conditions, where the BB's help noticeably "IMO"..
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by flame56mx
Well, it really depends on your local track, yes the cars have gotten lighter, but a lot of tracks run 1/8 electric on the same track. Which usually attributes to bigger jumps and rougher track conditions, where the BB's help noticeably "IMO"..

It really doesn't help in the rough. The ruts and bumps that occur on a 1/8th track are well outside any 1/10th buggy's suspension throw. If you want your car to handle big jumps and landings better, you might see some improvement with BB's but it'll be to the detriment of it's performance on other areas of the track. I think you're better off with the standard stuff that's well tested by the best racers.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've seen sets of slightly used, or even unused, big bores for decent deals recently. It seems the kyoshos are the most sought after of the big bores right now if that makes any difference.

I still don't understand the advantage of them though. If anyone has info on how they actually help a car (besides looking really cool), I'd be very interested to know.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

It really doesn't help in the rough. The ruts and bumps that occur on a 1/8th track are well outside any 1/10th buggy's suspension throw. If you want your car to handle big jumps and landings better, you might see some improvement with BB's but it'll be to the detriment of it's performance on other areas of the track. I think you're better off with the standard stuff that's well tested by the best racers.
I run on a 1/10 scale indoor track. Track offers medium to high grip depending on how "mature" the layout is. As it drys out, traction comes up, but it starts to get really blown out (think surface of the moon).

My Cougar with the stock big bores ate this stuff up. The Losi 22s soak it right up. Even the RB5s with big bores soak it right up. My B4.1, not so much. I can't go any softer on the springs, and I'd like to see how they work on this platform.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

So, by the way you are responding, I am assuming you have already tried them? What car did you try them on?

Before I tried them I (we) thought they wont matter also, and a good driver can probably make up the difference, but here is what I (we)noticed. When we-two different drivers-two different cars-one has two RB5's, one with BB's and one W/O BB's (he didnt think they were better either), ran laps on the same day-same track under lap timing. Not a noticeable difference in individual lap times-but the car felt more locked in, and didnt get upset landing off of jumps as easy-meaning if you landed from a jump and were a little out of shape, with the std shocks it would lose traction, sometimes would spin out. This is where the big difference really was, as the BB car would drive away almost every time..So, as stated earlier the individual lap times were almost even +/- but it's the times where the BB's saved those little spin outs and off camber landing where the total race time and # of laps can make a difference. I am not trying to sell these to anyone, just letting OP know my opinion-that's all..

Last edited by flame56mx; 06-29-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
My Cougar with the stock big bores ate this stuff up. The Losi 22s soak it right up. Even the RB5s with big bores soak it right up. My B4.1, not so much. I can't go any softer on the springs, and I'd like to see how they work on this platform.

I hope it works well. Let us know how it works out.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I would look into the TQ Big Bores... I love mine...almost identical to my Kyosho big bores at half the cost!

PM ME
Old 06-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The losi springs as well as the pistons work on the TQ Racing shocks. I've done many tests with standard bores vs. big bores on my 2wd. On the rough tracks the big bores for me made the car easier to drive, soaked up the bumps. The standard bore shocks work better for me on smoother tracks. The big bores on the smoother tracks made my car feel lazy.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dlewis4
I would look into the TQ Big Bores... I love mine...almost identical to my Kyosho big bores at half the cost!

PM ME
will they fit kyosho springs?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Maybe something here will work..

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ower-49-a.html
Old 06-30-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Man, $10 big bores would be awesome, but aren't most 1/8 scale shocks longeR?