Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Sidewinder SV2 1406 NEU 4 pole 4600kv

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yup great vid that is what mine does also.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, it was at room temperature inside with no load. As soon as it makes the noise and vibrates it is noticeably warmer, cables and all. The cables on my car rarely get warm, but are guaranteed too after it has made the noise.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thomas Porfert
Hey fellas,

This is an issue that we are just starting to see. So far I have only seen about a dozen e-mails/phone calls regarding this particular issue. It seems to be related to something in the Sidewinder V2/SCT controllers. Because it seems to be a fairly random, and so far fairly small number of occurrences, we have not been able to consistently reproduce the problem.

Our engineers need to see an example of a problem to be able to fix it and so far we have not been able to get them one. It sounds like the ESC is having problems keeping sync with the motor, but we're not sure what in the ESC is causing the problem. What we really need is one of these controllers to test with and show the engineers. Would someone be willing to send in the unit for testing? We will be happy to replace it with a new unit of course. Right now we don't have a solution because we have been unable to identify the problem.

I'd also like to get a run down of what everyone is running that is having this issue. If you are having this problem, please fill in the blanks on the info below and PM or e-mail it to me (thomas @ castlecreations . com).

ESC: MMM
Motor: castle 1410, 2 different new motors
If a 1406/1410, approximate length of motor wire - 5-6 inches or so
Vehicle: losi scte lightweight
Battery: gens ace 5000 40c
Cells - 2
mAh - 5000
C rating (If applicable) - 40-80c
Connectors - deans and traxxas plugs
Gearing:
Pinion - 12-15
Spur - 40t
Firmware version (If you have the Castle Link): latests
Settings:
Torque limit:
On or off? off
If on, value(s)
Punch Control: off
Motor start power: lowest or default
Timing advance always at 0 since new

This information can help us see if there is a common setup that seems to be causing the issue. We'll get this problem sorted out as quickly as possible and I will be sure to post on this thread when I have an new info. Thanks for the heads up on this issue and for any info you can provide to help us narrow down the problem.

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations

thomas i believe it was you that i was on the phone with sometime last week. since i did the latest firmware updates 2 mmm wend bad, so i think. I told you over the phone that my 1410 all of the sudden on power up it would make like a fast hammering sounds and the motor would just try to spin but nothing. I turned it off about 7 times from the switch and the last few times the beeps started getting quieter and quieter until i could not hear them, then that mmm just died while the motor was tempting 117 at night. i then bought another new 1410 and borrowed my mmm esc off of my 8t 2.0 and that one lasted 1 week also. I started to melt the soldering off of the white cable once again the beeps started to go away and again it started making that fast clunking noise again then it would engage and cut out.

whats weird one of the mmm was completly dead but it would connect to the castle link and update. same thing with the 2nd mmm but that one would still cut out and not move unless i would give the esc a slight little tap and it would engage and cut out again. I sent my 2 mmm's and a 1410 with receipts along with my contact info as well on monday. i dont know what the status is yet but if you find it give me a call or pm here.

my issue could be related to the others here since i updated all my esc's and tuner card or it could be some else making those clunking noise even though my last 1410 was perfectly fine after one day of use
Originally Posted by tails
Here's a video of the noise, with the motor off load...

I just did the video so HD may not be ready yet. But you can hear the noise at two seconds, eight seconds and fifteen seconds. You can also see the cables vibrate from it. All settings are at default except for torque control which is set at 4.0.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

my noise isnt nowhere near as bad as that. the best i can describe it if you hear that big construction hammer for breaking concrete but at a much lower noise. both esc did get warm fast, but now makes me wonder if there was anything wrong with that 1410 i didnt think about getting video either
Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Mr.juarez, please send me your full name (PM or e-mail) so I can look up your account and snag the Monsters and 1410. I am starting to think this may have something to do with the motors, so far it seems to be on all the new 14xx series motors. I think that the rotor may be rubbing, but I'll pull it apart and take a look. Please get back to me as soon as you can, I want to get this sorted out as quickly as possible.

For others having the issue with a 14xx series, try popping the endbell off and pulling out the rotor. Check to see if the back of the rotor has any signs of rubbing. You will probably see the Kevlar wrap over the magnets is frayed or the aluminum endcap has marks on it. Please let me know if anyone sees this.

I did see that mrbubbs tried a hobbywing motor and it did the same thing, so I may be off base here. It could be software related as well. There are some people having issues with firmware versions above 1.24 where they get a weird throttle surge. If they roll back to 1.24 it works just fine. Unfortunately the lowest you can go on the SV2/SCT's is 1.29, so there's no way to test if it's related. We saw these exact issues a few times when the controllers were first released, but it seemed to have disappeared for 4-5 months; but it looks like it is back again, so I need to get an example of it to the engineers. They always tell us "we can't fix what we can't see". So I find it easier to hand them a setup that exhibits the problem and let them tinker until it goes away.

mrbubbs, please check your PM sir. I would love to get your setup in here for the engineers. Thanks!

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations

Last edited by Thomas Porfert; 07-15-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

thanks thomas. i pm'd you my number as i wont be near the computer to check pm's any more. so just give me a call if you find anything about it.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

THIS IS THE PM I SENT TO THOMAS

ESC: Sidewinder SV2
Motor: 1406 - 12mm/4.5"
If a 1406/1410, approximate length of motor wire -
Vehicle: RC10B3 (2.4 ratio tranny)
Battery: Blue
Cells - 2
mAh - 4000mah
C rating (If applicable) - 30c
Connectors - Deans Ultra
Gearing:
Pinion - 17
Spur - 84
Firmware version (If you have the Castle Link): 1.32
Settings:
Torque limit:
On or off? currently Off(tried with it on with no difference in cogging)
If on, value(s)
Punch Control: currently Off (this is one of the settings i first changed to "on" using my radio right before it started cogging)
Motor start power: Low
Timing advance 0* (this is the other setting i changed from default to "0*" right before it started cogging)

i've tried systematically changing one setting at a time using castle field link and a PC to no avail. i purchased a castle field link in hopes that all the ESC needed was an update.

it ran perfectly for a few packs. then all of a sudden mid run it just came to a hault and starting cogging. the LED's on the esc were flashing in what seemed to be totally random patterns. they would even still flash when the switch was in the off position. this problem eventually when away on it's own. now it just cogs at low power/RPM and doesn't seem to have the same amount of power it once had. it doesn't pull wheelies anymore.

i've also taken a look inside the motor and pulled the rotor out. nothing seemed out of place.

as i remember, it started cogging during the first run after i tried fiddling with the ESC's settings using my radio. i wanted to tame the power a bit so i enabled punch control and lowered the timing. during that run right after changing those settings is when it started cogging. it was also the first time i ran the car in very dusty conditions rather than in the street.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

i have a ? that has to do with upgrading esc's.. of i want to send my esc into castle, and get the mmp instead do u think they will do the swap and upgrade it for a lil more? i am running the sv2 and would like to look into geting me the mmp instead, but will it give me more power? whats the big difference in the mmp and the sv2?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hmm this motor seems good for my car I want to get one but I'm a bit scared I don't want this to happen.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Initiate

I have just submitted an email to Thomas as requested. My motor will not even turn, it just makes the "noise" and heats up the motor wires. I bought the package about 1 month ago and I had heat issues from day 1. I had also contacted Castle twice and each time they gave me different things to try. One option was to return it to my LHS, the store wouldn't exchange it because he "couldn't afford to be out for the few weeks it would take" Needless to say, that ended my dealings with him.

Anyway, I'm hoping Thomas can swap it for me, I loved the speed i got when i upgraded from my Titan 12.

Anyway....
Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tails
Here's a video of the noise, with the motor off load...

I just did the video so HD may not be ready yet. But you can hear the noise at two seconds, eight seconds and fifteen seconds. You can also see the cables vibrate from it. All settings are at default except for torque control which is set at 4.0.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Totally different situation...

But. I have a Trinity Duo 2 17.5 motor. Whenever it is run without the sensor, on a MMP, any hard throttle makes it do exactly what is described here.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ThunderbirdJunkie had this problem with an outrunner and a Sidewinder in his SCX10.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thomas Porfert
Mr.juarez, please send me your full name (PM or e-mail) so I can look up your account and snag the Monsters and 1410. I am starting to think this may have something to do with the motors, so far it seems to be on all the new 14xx series motors. I think that the rotor may be rubbing, but I'll pull it apart and take a look. Please get back to me as soon as you can, I want to get this sorted out as quickly as possible.

For others having the issue with a 14xx series, try popping the endbell off and pulling out the rotor. Check to see if the back of the rotor has any signs of rubbing. You will probably see the Kevlar wrap over the magnets is frayed or the aluminum endcap has marks on it. Please let me know if anyone sees this.

I did see that mrbubbs tried a hobbywing motor and it did the same thing, so I may be off base here. It could be software related as well. There are some people having issues with firmware versions above 1.24 where they get a weird throttle surge. If they roll back to 1.24 it works just fine. Unfortunately the lowest you can go on the SV2/SCT's is 1.29, so there's no way to test if it's related. We saw these exact issues a few times when the controllers were first released, but it seemed to have disappeared for 4-5 months; but it looks like it is back again, so I need to get an example of it to the engineers. They always tell us "we can't fix what we can't see". So I find it easier to hand them a setup that exhibits the problem and let them tinker until it goes away.

mrbubbs, please check your PM sir. I would love to get your setup in here for the engineers. Thanks!

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations
Hello I can confirm that mrbubbs and I both tried our Hobbywing 5.5 6000 motors with the SV2 esc. The results were the same if not worse with the 540 Hobbywing motors "which is a damn good motor if you ask me". This grinding noise and heat is without a doubt caused by the ESC and not the motors.

I have a Emax ESC for one of my airplanes and I have heard it make a similar sound when I was messing with the motor timing programming. I think it is most def a software problem. But what do I know?

Last edited by Dannyrevs; 07-16-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dannyrevs
Hello I can confirm that mrbubbs and I both tried our Hobbywing 5.5 6000 motors with the SV2 esc. The results were the same if not worse with the 540 Hobbywing motors "which is a damn good motor if you ask me". This grinding noise and heat is without a doubt caused by the ESC and not the motors.

I have a Emax ESC for one of my airplanes and I have heard it make a similar sound when I was messing with the motor timing programming. I think it is most def a software problem. But what do I know?
I would agree with this. when it first happened, i tried plugging in my stock titan brushed motor to the sidewinder esc and it did the same thing. Yesterday after reading this thread, i popped the end cap off the motor and there were no signs of anything rubbing or anything out of place inside.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you buy the combo from amainhobbies.com what do you have to solder?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OMG23RC
If you buy the combo from amainhobbies.com what do you have to solder?
I bought mine from Amain hobbies but it does not matter where you buy it from you will still need to solder up a connector for your battery. It has all wires soldered on and all the bullet connectors are soldered on. So just a battery plug like I said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.