Wiki Posts
Search

Help With TLR Tuning Kit???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Help With TLR Tuning Kit???

Okay, first things first. Hope somebody has installed one of these. I think I am missing something on the rear hubs. The new aluminum hubs are skinnier than the plastic ones that were taking off. They are quite a bit skinnier than the opening on the a-arm where they are installed on the new a-arm. There is at least 1/4" of play and the hub will slide back and forth on the hinge pin of the a-arm. Is there a spacer or something that needs to be installed to keep the hub from moving back and forth on the hinge pin on the a-arm? If there is, I do not think my kit has anything in it?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Don't have one but you might have the VLA hubs. These have 2 holes in the lower portion of the hub. They are designed to change the pivot point and not the overall length of the a arm hub length. The lower 2 holes of the hubs should match up to the 2 lower holes on the hubs. Hope this helps.
Darren
Old 06-21-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dpcardoza
Don't have one but you might have the VLA hubs. These have 2 holes in the lower portion of the hub. They are designed to change the pivot point and not the overall length of the a arm hub length. The lower 2 holes of the hubs should match up to the 2 lower holes on the hubs. Hope this helps.
Darren
Hey Darren, I am not quite following you, yes there are two holes on the bottom of the hub, but what screws in there again? They are on the bottm, and I do not see anything that they would attatch to to keep tem from moving around?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

That room is in there to adjust wheelbase. You should have had spacers with the hubs you took off. I just used metal washers in place of them.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KainK
That room is in there to adjust wheelbase. You should have had spacers with the hubs you took off. I just used metal washers in place of them.
Okay, it looked tike the plastic spacers were part of the plastic hub I took off, but I bet they come out! That makes sense and I must have overlooked it. I bet that is the problem.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

There's little plastic spacers that go between the hub and the inside of the arm that ride on the hinge pin. Probably around 2mm thick for each spacer, with 2 on each side.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Okay, when I get home I will take the plastic spacer off of the other hubs and put them in and see how they work.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Another question, I am pretty sure my kit is missing the thrust bearing kit for the diff. Could somebody explain what it looks like or post a picture of what it looks like. I look up LOSA3018 online and I do not have anything that looks like that in my kit.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Per suggestions on the Forum, I downloaded the XXX-T CR manual which has helped tremendously with this Kit as it is my First Losi.

I also read somewhere on the forum that 4 .030 washers can be used for spacers in the rear hubs to adjust the wheelbase.

As for as the thrust bearing, my kit contained a cup washer which Casper on here was a big help:

Originally Posted by Casper
Yes you still use the two thrust washers and add the cone washer to the head of the bolt and cone open inboard away from the head of the bolt.
Great to see a thread on the Tuning Kit ! ! !
Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjealey
Okay, when I get home I will take the plastic spacer off of the other hubs and put them in and see how they work.
No, they don't come off or out on the rtr hubs. The TLR kit is missing the hub spacers. You need them for anything but the rtr hubs. They are a losi part, which clearly should have been included, but aren't. You can go to the hardware store for some nylon spacers or order the hub spacers from Losi.

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...SA2216&click=2
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lowroad
No, they don't come off or out on the rtr hubs. The TLR kit is missing the hub spacers. You need them for anything but the rtr hubs. They are a losi part, which clearly should have been included, but aren't. You can go to the hardware store for some nylon spacers or order the hub spacers from Losi.

All right, well I will try Ace Hardware and see what they have. I thought those spacers were molded into the hubs, but thought well maybe I did not pull hard enough on them. If Ace doesn't have anything I guess I will have to order the spacers and wait til next week to get this done. Why in the world would you not include those in the kit?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowroad

What is the difference with theses spacers? I was referred to these instead....

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA2127
Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squig
What is the difference with theses spacers? I was referred to these instead....

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA2127
oh, man, I may ahve given the wrong part number. Sorry. I didn't know there was two. I went the ace hardware route
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

you can use just about anything that fits for spacers, if you go to Losi.com you can look up the manuals and parts breakdowns for each kit and the so on but any brand or kit spacers you can find will work. you space the hubs depending on your setup, the middle is a no brainer.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

I would still like to see what the HD thrust bearing set looks like in this kit. I am about 100% sure it is missing. As long as the picture for LOSA3018 is not a generic picture, my kit did not have anything like that in it. Local hobby shoip does not have that part in stock, so I will call Horizon and hopefully they will overnight the thrust bearing so I can install and race Thurs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.