Ultima SC
Blitz
XXX-SCT
Slash

Let us know what you think!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Good write-up, but not a fair comparison overall. The Ultima should not have been included, since you used top of the line shocks and a great steering servo. Both will greatly improve handling over stock and inflate the scores over the "out of the box" configuration.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Nice comparison, thanks, but I'll nit pick. If your gonna be racing, I think similar tires, atleast , should be used. Plus there might be a little bias being thrown around, the 2 for the Slash in durability, because the shafts look weak, is a little suspect, when everyone else describes it as a 5 Plus the upgraded shocks and servo, which also implies that truck had been setup, judging that it won for handling and jumping, by someone who knew what they were doing, is very unfair. That truck placed 2nd, if it's stock stuff was that bad, it might have dropped to 3rd or 4th. Put those on the HPI, and it's up in the mix. Other trucks also had setup work . So I guess IMO to be fair, they either all need to be taken straight out of a box and ran, or be modded for best performance, which then becomes a driver personal preference thing, as I do think they all can be setup to be competitive.

But as I said, thanks, info is always good to have.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

...as long as you guys had fun. I'll take the results with a few grains of salt though.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Looks like a well done article though I don't agree with the results as others have posted. The parts that they Kyosho dominated (Handling and Jumpability) was due to the upgraded parts.

Well done though guys, keep it up
Old 06-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Not very accurate test, you could have at least used all stock out of the box trucks, How can you even compare the Kyosho when it has a set of $80+ Velvet shocks fitted?

And you say the Blitz is least Durable because it had radio problems and it was useing a AE radio? what the?

I must say ive seen better reviews.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Sorry the shootout doesn't live up to some of your standards guys. I added some disclaimer text to the intro and summary pages to be more straight forwards about what we were doing..

All the vehicles were previously used but not ABUSED.. We tried to get them back to as close to stock as we could, but in like the case of the Kyosho, it had been upgraded because those parts failed, and there was no way to go back. So i guess, take the Kyosho portion with a grain of salt and take the shocks into consideration. The shootout was just for fun and we thought it would be an entertaining article.

Also, thanks for pointing out the AE radio thing. I fixed my score (from 2 to 3).. but the issue is still likely with the servo. I don't know why else it would have needed a Cap to fix it.

We will be doing a 4wd SCT review later this summer. That one should be a little different because none of those come with electronics/etc.. so I think as long as we are running comparable motors/tires it should be a fair comparison. If anyone wants to weigh in on that, feel free. So far we have the SC104x4, Losi SCTE, Durango, Ofna NEXX, Jammin, Ofna Hyper10sc, Slash 4x4, and one of those SCT44's (b44 conversion from okiejim)
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

I love these shootouts and reviews myself. I won't get into nitpicking because most has already been stated.

The only thing I'd recommend is go with a common set of tires. Yes I'd be interested to see an "out of the box" shoot out but to me a better solution would be to have a common set of tires and to run the exact same electronics in all vehicles (even if it means removing and swapping which wouldn't be bad because then you'd have something to go by with your wrenchability test).
Old 06-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

interesting... that wrenchability point is awesome.. We will keep that in mind for the future! If we decide to do a revisit with similar tires, I will keep this in mind.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

If anyone has ideas for criteria we could use for the 4wd shootout other than what was used for 2wd one, we are open to ideas..
Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Run same electronics and tires and keep aftermarket parts (especially shocks) to a minimum. OR keep the electronics and tires the same but make sure ALL vehicles are "properly modded up".

Most people want to see how one stacks against the other from what they are going to buy out of the box as a roller.

You just want a level playing field except for the base roller itself (not counting tires).
Old 06-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Well, I can tell you the following is our current setup..

SC104x4 - 1410 motor, MMP esc, stock everything.. AKA Enduros.. may or may not have swaybars on it by then.. could remove for shootout

Losi SCTE - 1410 motor, MMP, aftermarket diff pins/shock towers.. AKA Enduros? or stock..

Ofna Hyper10 - 1410 motor, SCT esc, stock afaik.. not sure on tires?

Slash 4x4 - VXL motor/esc.. stock.. not sure on tires.. calibers maybe?

Ofna Nexx - 1410 motor, SCT esc.. stock.. no clue on tires.. prob stock

Jammin - 1410 motor, sct esc.. stock.. no clue on tires.. prob stock

Durango - Ballistic 4.5t 550, Havoc SC esc.. stock.. calibers?

SCT44 - prob be for sale in the next few days.. it's not a production vehicle anyways
Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The 4x4 review sounds pretty good, ill be looking forward to reading that one, The only thing id say is that it would be good as said earlier if you ran the same tyres on all trucks, it will also good to see the differance between the 550can motor and the CC1410 as well...
Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

tires, tires, tires, anybody with 2 working brain cells can tell you that tires are 90% of any set-up. Putting the same tires on every truck will show you the real handling differences between all the trucks. If truck "A" is perfect on a tire and truck "B" pushes while truck "C" is loose it shows how the trucks work and removes the tire factor.....$.02

A++ on your effort but you need to equal out the major factors to give a true "truck" comparison..motors, batteries, and TIRES...
Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

For anyone who enjoyed reading this, we are doing a giveaway for joining us on Facebook. Visit www.rcsoup.com for more info.