Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of 2wd 1/10th Scale Classes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Status of 2wd 1/10th Scale Classes?

What are the most popular 1/10th scale 2wd drive classes these days? I want to get back into racing and found a track local to me and will check them out on race day to see what classes have a healthy car count but wanted some overall industry wide thoughts on what classes will be around for the next couple of years.

I was leaning on getting into SCT with a FT SC10 but then thought about going buggy with a FT RC10B4.1. I have been out of the electric end of the hobby for 10 years or so and also any organized racing for the same amount of time. I started out in buggy before running a lot of pan car oval racing then it was stadium truck and 4wd for a while.

It looks to me like stadium truck is dying and being replaced by SCT? Is that the case? I really enjoyed racing my RC10T back in the day and probably had the most fun with that, but if it is dying I am not going to invest in it.

Is the SC10 FT based off the B4/T4 or the T4.1/B4.1? If it is B4/T4 based will there be something newer coming out soon?

If you were to start out today in a 2wd 1/10th class what class and vehicle would you opt for in this day and age?

Thanks all!

-Joe
Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

well my favorite class is by far 2wd buggy, and will probably always will be..i dont drive short course for some odd reason..but it is a very fun class! I have always been an opened wheeled man just because of the finesse driving it teaches you. If you want the main popularity the 2wd short course. But for more finesse driving and still a very popular crowd, 2wd buggy is great!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Joeman37
What are the most popular 1/10th scale 2wd drive classes these days? I want to get back into racing and found a track local to me and will check them out on race day to see what classes have a healthy car count but wanted some overall industry wide thoughts on what classes will be around for the next couple of years.

I was leaning on getting into SCT with a FT SC10 but then thought about going buggy with a FT RC10B4.1. I have been out of the electric end of the hobby for 10 years or so and also any organized racing for the same amount of time. I started out in buggy before running a lot of pan car oval racing then it was stadium truck and 4wd for a while.

It looks to me like stadium truck is dying and being replaced by SCT? Is that the case? I really enjoyed racing my RC10T back in the day and probably had the most fun with that, but if it is dying I am not going to invest in it.

Is the SC10 FT based off the B4/T4 or the T4.1/B4.1? If it is B4/T4 based will there be something newer coming out soon?

If you were to start out today in a 2wd 1/10th class what class and vehicle would you opt for in this day and age?

Thanks all!

-Joe
The SC10 and B4.1 / T4.1 are all similar.. They all (even the FT cars) use the SC10's transmission with the larger diff and use the newer softer (cheap) plastic vs the higher carbon content of the FT B4 and FT T4

ST is all but dead in most parts of the US.. Replaced by SC..

For me 2wd buggy is where it's at in 1/10th scale electric

If I were just starting out again I would have never bought that FT B4 and and gotten the Kyosho RB5 SP2 right off the bat.. It just works.. The quality is much higher and the shocks are the best you can get.

A good friend and sponsored racer told me "You can hang onto a B4 or battle with an RB5" He was right.. It's an easier car to drive fast
Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Like you I too took a very long break from racing RC. 15 years ago I raced 1/10th scale buggy and loved it. A little over 2 years ago I got back into racing and came back racing SCT and 1/10th scale buggy. I gotta say, I love SCT racing but racing the good ol buggy brings back memories and reminds me how fun they are. I'm racing both a FT SC10 and FT B4.1 since they both share a number of the same parts. Alot of my friends are now racing the Losi 22 and like how easy they are to drive.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

2wd mod and SCT are the 2 most popular 1/10 scale classes. I love my TLR 22 and XXX SCT. Both are great cars.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the responses so far. I am not dead set on going with associated, they are just what I am most familiar with having owned and raced and original RC10, RC10T, and RC10L at some point or another.

My first RC was a Kyosho Turbo Raider and I raced a Kyosho Lazer ZX-R a handfull of times before I broke a shock tower and ended up sticking with stadium truck.

I'll really have to head out to the local track on a race day soon and see what they have going on. From the sounds of it stadium truck will be out and I will have to focus on buggy or SCT.

So much to learn all over again...

-Joe