Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why does it appear offroad and onroad suspension changes are opposite one another? >

Why does it appear offroad and onroad suspension changes are opposite one another?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does it appear offroad and onroad suspension changes are opposite one another?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default Why does it appear offroad and onroad suspension changes are opposite one another?

An example is camber link length and roll center. In the SC10 manual it states a SHORTER camber link or lowering the ball end (raise the roll center) is best for low traction surfaces and a LONGER link or raised ball end (lower roll center) is better for a high traction surface. In on road it appears to be opposite and this just doesn't make sense to me.

My thought process on this (correct me if i'm wrong). On a low traction surface you need more weight transfer to allow tire to gain more traction and by doing this you have a lower roll center. If you have a high roll high roll center on a high traction surface you'd be more likely to traction roll This is how it seems to apply to my on road car at least. Am I looking at this all wrong?

The sc10 manual also states a bit of positive camber in back will help straight light traction. I've never heard of this before. Usually people add negative camber to aid in traction.
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Are you confusing roll center with center of gravity, or am I in over my head?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
An example is camber link length and roll center. In the SC10 manual it states a SHORTER camber link or lowering the ball end (raise the roll center) is best for low traction surfaces and a LONGER link or raised ball end (lower roll center) is better for a high traction surface. In on road it appears to be opposite and this just doesn't make sense to me.
They aren't opposite...roll center and traction curves work the same way in onroad and offroad. What is described here, is wrong.

My thought process on this (correct me if i'm wrong). On a low traction surface you need more weight transfer to allow tire to gain more traction and by doing this you have a lower roll center.
Correct

If you have a high roll high roll center on a high traction surface you'd be more likely to traction roll
Nope.. if you run a higher roll center, you would be less likely to traction roll.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

no, center of gravity doesn't change. roll center changes and the relationship to the two of them dictates how the vehicle will roll. You calculate your roll center by drawing a line from your upper link pivot points, lower arm pivot points and then a line from where those two points meet (instant center) to the center of the tire of the vehicle. That is your roll center. The higher the roll center (closer to the CG) the less it'll roll. And vice versa. Well, in theory lol..
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

sorry, typo on the roll center and traction roll.

This is what the sc10 manual states:

What am I missing here??
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Lord

They are describing the roll center change correctly, but the recommendation on what track surfaces they work best on is incorrect IMO.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
They are describing the roll center change correctly, but the recommendation on what track surfaces they work best on is incorrect IMO.
Ok, im not going insane. Is there something they may know we don't? What about their suggestion of positive camber in back?

Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Lord

Ok, im not going insane. Is there something they may know we don't? What about their suggestion of positive camber in back?

Dave
The maximum amount of "straight line traction" in the REAR of a car, will be 0 camber AT FULL SQUAT (however low the car squats under acceleration)... so that would mean either a) 0 static camber with 0 camber gain under suspension compression, or b) positive rear camber with camber gain taking you to 0 under suspension compression, which is the only of the two possible on the car.

It's a farse though, because the traction you gain in a straight line, you may lose in the corners. Will it be faster in a drag race? yes... faster around a race track? probably not.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
The maximum amount of "straight line traction" in the REAR of a car, will be 0 camber AT FULL SQUAT (however low the car squats under acceleration)... so that would mean either a) 0 static camber with 0 camber gain under suspension compression, or b) positive rear camber with camber gain taking you to 0 under suspension compression, which is the only of the two possible on the car.

It's a farse though, because the traction you gain in a straight line, you may lose in the corners. Will it be faster in a drag race? yes... faster around a race track? probably not.
Kind of what I figured. Not sure why they'd put that in the manual..
Dave