I dont know what to buy...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I dont know what to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah im gonna go with the losi its a great car and everyone else seems to think so...thanks for the replies -mat-
Old 10-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Initiate

When i get better at racing and stuff what would be a good race engine to put in it? i was looking at some o.s.'s
Old 10-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

i love the .12 CVR, NOT the CV. (or CVRX vs the CVX). the sirio drake is also a great engine
Old 10-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyother ideas? thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

there are a wide wide variety of engines out there. you want to race, which limits us to a .12 engine. and since you want somthing better than stock, not a crappy one.

from there it all depends on your budget. if you have 150 bucks to spend on a mill then theres a mill for you. if you wanna spend 100, theres amill there too. if you dont care how expensive it is, there are some extremely high end mills out there.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah i dont need a new engine now or anyhting becuase im not gonna be racing for awile i still have to get my car and get good with it before anything but i jsut want ideas becuase my parents are looking for something to get me for christmas and i wouldnt mind gettin a better engine...
Old 10-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

run it for a while before you decide that. most competition engines are actually smaller than the one that comes in the XXXNT RTR

sometimes i wish i had the AE .15 that came with my truck, just for kicks. it was certainly a quick little bugger, if not the fasted thing on the track.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:26 AM
Tech Rookie

I too just got an os cvr and absolutly love it. Ran it today at Coyote Hobbies,in Lexington KY. It was almost broke in when I got to the track, so I had to run a couple tanks through it before the race. BUT, it had power even running rich!!! I ran it a bit rich for the day as it is new and I wasnt sure about the break in.
I am not the best driver but 2nd in the B main made me happy...When I lean it out watch out!!!
Old 10-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah im gonna get used to driving and when i start actually racing and doing good im gonna go with an o.s. seems like alot of people run them and i hear they are good engines...
Old 10-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

you will get a flurry of engine snobs saying that if its anything less than a sirio its junk. frankly, i love my CVR and it will be a cold day in hell before i part with it willingly. its got balls, and theres a ton of parts available from special backplates, to cooling heads, to alternative starting methods, to aftermarket pistons......

what fuel do you run Smac3n4? i started running mine with blue thunder, and a couple others i tried from one of the LHS' here and when i tried out odonnel 20% it was like i unlocked 50% of the engines potential. it opened WAY up.

same with the white lightening i tried too. its stalling at low speed right now, i havnt taken the time to really tune it up today because its so cold out, but so far the white lightening is great stuff too. its a little more finicky to tune with (that could be the cold too) but it runs as quick and cool as the odonnel, if not a smidge better. it doesnt smell as nice though
Old 10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You can do well with either truck. I really think people like one or the other b/c each one fits a different driving style better. I know for a fact a gt is VERY easy to work on. Everything is out in the open and accessible. You can basically take any one part off the truck without dismantling anything else.

I've always heard the losis tend to break more. But I've never ran one so it's hearsay to me. I've also been told they are kind of a pain to work on.

My gt has cartwheeled what must be world record lenght, totally nose landed big jumps, been landed on, blah blah blah, all the racing stories. And this year I broke not one part. Did bend a hinge pin in the rear a-arm. That actually counts as breakage, but I did finish the race day with it like that. And I fried two diff gears this summer also. But thats my own fault.

The losi may be more adjustable, but unless you take the time to learn what and how, so what. All you need to do with a GT is learn what and how also.

As for the GT being outdated? I love the fact that when they change something, it'll go right on my truck. That's great. And the old saying of why change it if it isn't broken? It still wins big races.

AE stock radio, throw it out and get a good one if you want to race. Although until you learn to race it'll do the job. Don't use airplane fuel in your cars. My advice if you are new to racing, or nitro in general, don't get a big motor. OS motors in my opinion are the best. SO easy to tune. Big motors are hard to control.

My little cv is what I learned to race with. After I learned, I ported it. Thing is fast. I go to big tracks, and it does great. I've got a novarossi mt.12 but haven't ran it b/c I love the cv. Plus you can rebuild it for 20 bux with a duratrax p/s from Tower. And if anyone questions those parts, I run em. They work great. Ran the whole second half of the season with em. Starts/idles/runs perfect.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Associated is working on a new truck..it's no secret.

The days of Losi trucks breaking are long over. Most of those rumors came from Associated diehards anyway..

(It's just like when a Losi diehard like me talks bad about Associated trucks..most of it has no foundation )
Old 10-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Tech Regular

in all fairness, i break alot more on my GT than i see most other people breaking on losis. and if they broke somthing, they probably deserved it.

oh and aaron, its Assciated diehard...not diehards. i think im the last one on the planet!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

oh and aaron, its Assciated diehard...not diehards. i think im the last one on the planet!
Not by far. I'm also associated guy. And theres a forum for nothing but GT's to. So there's still plenty.