Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rims stripping

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Unhappy rims stripping

so, i finally get my car running right where i want it. all thats missing is a few bearings to replace bushings, but so far so good.

i had her out yesterday, ran through about 2 tanks of nitro, and the car was fast as all hell. then half way through the 3rd tank of nitro it started acting like the diff was WAY loose, so i assumed i put the diff in backwards. upon closer inspection, the CVD was turning but the rim wasnt. sure enough, the pin stripped the back of the rim clean. so i tightened it down enough to get it to grab and kept going, seemed to be fine. then about 5 mins later the other rim stripped

i have the wheel nuts as tight as i can go without binding the CVD, what am i doing wrong?

will bearings inplace of the bushings in the carriers allow me to get the nuts tighter without binding?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Is the pin in your axle?If it is is it in the slot inside your wheel.I had the same thing happen to me an had to replace my wheel.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

yeah it was in there. i double checked everytime because i was paranoid of this lol
i think maybe the CVDs n bushings (i know i know, the LHS is out of bearings) needed breaking in so i could wrench the lugs down further. maybe im missing somthing

is it possible that friction heat between the CVD and bushings are melting them?
Old 10-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Im new at rc and would hate to mislead you,but that probaly isn't it.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Could you have the wrong size bearings.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Tightening the bolt down to much can cause this due to not enough roll in the pin ( hence the term roll pin) when the pin doesnt roll friction is applied and at full throttle when the nut is tight the rim flexes and causes the pin to strip it out, a dremel and a xacto knife can correct this but not for long.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Your rollpin could be broken. Sometimes those rollpins break if you put them on too tight. Look at it very closely, I think that may be the problem.

Or, check your rims. I had a problem like this once, & it turned out the rim in the back was all bent up with weird edges & such.

Tight as they can go!? That's the other theory. As soon as they feel tight next time you put your tires on, stop. See if that helps.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

no no, the rims were loose. tight enough so that they wouldnt pull away from the roll pin, but still loose enough not to bind the CVDs. they werent that tight at all.

im currently using bushings in the carriers, which is why the CVDs were binding. im sure with shims and bearings that wont be the case. maybe i need to move some shims around. either way, the tip of the axle threads werent even past the end of the lock nut. but i still dont think there was enough play in the rim to strip out.