Wiki Posts
Search

Sidewinder SV2 running HOT...Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Sidewinder SV2 running HOT...Please help

Hey everyone,

2wd 1/10 Slash I installed the sidewinder SV2 (new 4 pole 4600Castle motor came with kit) Anyway I had on stock 23/86 gearing and hit temps of around 210 on the motor.... I dropped to the only other pinion i had 19/86 and still was around 200

I switched from 7 cell 5000mah to 6 cell 3200mah and that didnt change much...

Im thinking about dropping down to 12 or 15 but im worries that I will lose all top end...

Any thoughts? What temp should this motor be running at? (180's?)

thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

drop ur pinion to like 84 or 82 and if u can get another pinion get like 21 that should help u want temps from 100 to 150 max maybe 160 cooler the better i see it
Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thats unfortunate.. once a motor is overheated pass a certain temp, in castle's case 200 degrees. they just start heatng up easier... i run 19/86 on my 5700kv 4pole motor and i rarely see temps go above 145-150.. i would contact castle and tell them that your motor keeps running hot (dont tell them that you went above 200) just tell them that no matter what pinion/spur gear you use it runs really hot after 5-10 min runs odds are they will send you a new motor.. this happend to a guy at my local track and that i what the track owner told him.

but ya from my experience with my sv2 5700kv... 19-86 shouldnt get you in the 200s unless your run times are like twice as long as mine... which i would assume not since your using nimh
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rooster626
thats unfortunate.. once a motor is overheated pass a certain temp, in castle's case 200 degrees. they just start heatng up easier... i run 19/86 on my 5700kv 4pole motor and i rarely see temps go above 145-150.. i would contact castle and tell them that your motor keeps running hot (dont tell them that you went above 200) just tell them that no matter what pinion/spur gear you use it runs really hot after 5-10 min runs odds are they will send you a new motor.. this happend to a guy at my local track and that i what the track owner told him.

but ya from my experience with my sv2 5700kv... 19-86 shouldnt get you in the 200s unless your run times are like twice as long as mine... which i would assume not since your using nimh
Well, I just emailed Castle and I will keep everyone posted. It almost sounds to good to be true that they will send me a new motor but would be great if they do.

I'm not sure if it helps but here is a little more info.....

I was running 19/86 on the street out front of my house and on a wide open dirt track with no problems. I went to a small indoor carpet track and this is when i started having heat issues. the lhs told me that i was geared to high causing my heating issues and suggested I go to something like a 12/90

This seems counter productive to me and feel this would make the engine rev higher therefore heating it more??? I never did change to his suggested gearing and havent been back to the carpet since. just thought Id ask here.

I am going back to 23/86 which seemed to help and hope that castle sends me a new motor. if not, Ill run it till it dies and buy a new one...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Initiate

This seems counter productive to me and feel this would make the engine rev higher therefore heating it more???
Motor heat has very little to do with rpm, unless you are pushing it past it's RPM limit, in this case you are not.

Castle is pretty bad about timely email answers, I would call if possible.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by asheck
Motor heat has very little to do with rpm, unless you are pushing it past it's RPM limit, in this case you are not.

Castle is pretty bad about timely email answers, I would call if possible.

thanks for the advice,,,,will do
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Just an update....

Called Castle and was advised to mail the motor in to them and a replacement is on the way. The guy told me that they have run into some motors with brittle magnets and this is what im sure is wrong with mine.

Hopefully it doesnt take to long to see the new one...

Thanks all!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Are you positive it's not the CM36 2-pole motor? I have yet to see the Sv2 packaged with the 1406 4-pole motor. Maybe you got lucky and got a 1406, but it don't sound like it.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by latenight
Are you positive it's not the CM36 2-pole motor? I have yet to see the Sv2 packaged with the 1406 4-pole motor. Maybe you got lucky and got a 1406, but it don't sound like it.
it all depends on the stock the LHS has and when they recieved it. when i called my lhs they said they didnt have the 4pole motors in stock but when i picked it up and opened it, it did in fact have a 1406 4pole... the can itself has a print on it "4pole" so you cant mistake it...

heat is all abot how "hard" the motor is working to move the vehicle.. its kinda hard for me to explain but here goes

the higher the pinion is the more times it has to touch the spur gear to get 1 full rotation out of it.. so if your using 23/86 the pinion's 23 teeth has to touch the spurs 86 teeth. therefore there is more friction or resitance going against the motor as it tries to turn it(the spur gear)... so with a lower gearing like 12-86 the motor is working less because it only has 12 teeth on the pinion to the 86 teeth that the spur has.

also the amount of friction or resistance the spur gear is directly related to the weight of the vehicle the surface its running on and the diameter of the tires being used.

someone please correct me if im wrong or if i am infact right let me know... please
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

^^^ You are correct...
A smaller pinion/larger spur gear requires less effort to move your truck due to greater gear reduction. IMO 23/86 is WAY too high to gear that motor.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Tech Rookie

btw for a 5700kv 4pole motor i would recommend not going anywhere above 19/86 my temps after a 10-15 minute run was around 160 which is where i like to keep my motors but thats offroad where there are lots of jumps and step ups on onroad applications it will be diffrent
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by latenight
I do have the 4 pole 4600. My slash is otherwise completely stock. Ive only got 19, 23, 86, 90 spur/pinions so I was limited to what i could try. Regardless of this, The motor should not have heated up as fast as it did and with what i was running.

When I called castle, the guy told me that they are finding a lot of these motors with problems either loose winding or degraded magnet. The motor drag i am finding is with the car on my desk, when i push the slash, you can feel the motor binding, almost as if your gear mesh is bad. The castle repair rep. said that a bad magnet is prob binding and to ship it back. After I put my stock titan back in, there was absolutely no rolling resistance so I know the motor was beat.

I'm glad that Castle is stepping up to the plate I would for sure buy their products in the future.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Originally Posted by College Geezer
I do have the 4 pole 4600. My slash is otherwise completely stock. Ive only got 19, 23, 86, 90 spur/pinions so I was limited to what i could try. Regardless of this, The motor should not have heated up as fast as it did and with what i was running.

When I called castle, the guy told me that they are finding a lot of these motors with problems either loose winding or degraded magnet. The motor drag i am finding is with the car on my desk, when i push the slash, you can feel the motor binding, almost as if your gear mesh is bad. The castle repair rep. said that a bad magnet is prob binding and to ship it back. After I put my stock titan back in, there was absolutely no rolling resistance so I know the motor was beat.

I'm glad that Castle is stepping up to the plate I would for sure buy their products in the future.

I personally feel you had the motor way over geared while you were at the carpet track. The track owner was correct and you should have been geared 12-15 Pinion on a 90 tooth spur gear for a small indoor carpet track. The larger the pinion the greater the top speed but also the more heat you can generate. I would suggest gearing at the 19/90 with the new motor and start from there and keep a close eye on the temps.

Keep in mind there is no correct or incorrect gearing for all situations. Gearing often needs to change from track to track or surface to surface. You may be able to run a larger pinion for more top speed and keep temps down if you are out running on a road or parking lot, but that same setup may overheat if you are out running through the grass and dirt. Same as if you were on a really large outdoor dirt track and then you move to a small high traction indoor carpet track....

I would suggest picking up a few more pinion gears so you have a wider range of gearing to select from. I would suggest a 12/13 and a 15/16 to have on hand.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JFuel11
I personally feel you had the motor way over geared while you were at the carpet track. The track owner was correct and you should have been geared 12-15 Pinion on a 90 tooth spur gear for a small indoor carpet track. The larger the pinion the greater the top speed but also the more heat you can generate. I would suggest gearing at the 19/90 with the new motor and start from there and keep a close eye on the temps.

Keep in mind there is no correct or incorrect gearing for all situations. Gearing often needs to change from track to track or surface to surface. You may be able to run a larger pinion for more top speed and keep temps down if you are out running on a road or parking lot, but that same setup may overheat if you are out running through the grass and dirt. Same as if you were on a really large outdoor dirt track and then you move to a small high traction indoor carpet track....

I would suggest picking up a few more pinion gears so you have a wider range of gearing to select from. I would suggest a 12/13 and a 15/16 to have on hand.

Good luck!
I will pick up some others before the new motor arrives. I feel i should mention that while my gearing may have been incorrect for the carpet track, I only drove on it for a very short time after noticing the heat. I then ran on the road in front of my home and still found the motor to heat up just as bad. I'm sure one could argue that once a motor heats up, it is more likely to continue to do so, however, i find it hard to believe that damage would occur in such a short time. If that were the case, more of these motors would be ruined by people who dont get their gearing 100% on the first try. Even more so that the guy at castle told me that there were exchanging a lot of motors that were defective as a result of manufacturing.

Nevertheless, I still completely agree with you and will have a wider selection when the new motor arrives. I just couldn't stand the idea of people thinking i was a hack and burned up my motor.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Rookie

thats castle for you, they have great customer service(beside the fact that they take a long time to ship due to large quantities of problems)

believe it or not though it doesnt take much to overheat a motor that is geared wrong for the wrong terain. the fact that castle's rep is saying the magnet was degraded and came loose could also mean that the heat debound it from the rotor and being degraded it would do it much faster

as far as drag im sure you already know but if you didnt, you might have set your drag break higher than default but given i dont know what you did im just speculating