Wiki Posts
Search

Slash 2wd or 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (57%+)
Default Slash 2wd or 4wd

I'm thinking about getting a slash, but I'm not sure if I should get a 4wd or 2wd. Any input?

Also, kind of relevant, do they come with a battery/charger?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

dont know about the charger, if they did it would be a dc one and youd want to upgrade it anyway to a smart charger where you can select your voltage and one that can balance lipo cells.

as for 2WD or 4Wd my advice would be to get both. I currently have a slash 2WD and its awesome for bashing, but when i take it to the track or jump it it becomes useless. cant get the nose to dip where a 4WD that wont be a prblem and you cant get close to a 4wd around a track.

so put it this way if your going to bash get a 2WD if you going to race get a 4WD if you going to do a little bit of both get both
Old 05-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

4WD
Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You have to decide how much you want to put into it. Both come with a battery charger, but its garbage. It takes 8 hours to charge one battery. You will want to get a charger no matter what truck you buy so you might as well add that to the price. The 4wd slash is quite a bit more expensive than the 2wd also. What type of surfaces are you running on? Do you plan on racing?

The 2wd doesnt do so well in grass or real rough terrain. It jumps great if you know what your doing. Most tracks now have a class specifically for the stock 2wd Slash if you are just getting into racing. The 2wd you will break a lot less parts because it isnt as fast.

The 4wd is quite a bit faster. It will handle more terrain because of the 4wd. The 4x4 comes brushless, very little maintenance motor wise, but because its brushless and 4wd its harder on other parts. If you plan on racing I would go to the track and get a lot of practice because you are jumping right into a mod class with fast drivers.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by KainK
You have to decide how much you want to put into it. Both come with a battery charger, but its garbage. It takes 8 hours to charge one battery. You will want to get a charger no matter what truck you buy so you might as well add that to the price. The 4wd slash is quite a bit more expensive than the 2wd also. What type of surfaces are you running on? Do you plan on racing?

The 2wd doesnt do so well in grass or real rough terrain. It jumps great if you know what your doing. Most tracks now have a class specifically for the stock 2wd Slash if you are just getting into racing. The 2wd you will break a lot less parts because it isnt as fast.

The 4wd is quite a bit faster. It will handle more terrain because of the 4wd. The 4x4 comes brushless, very little maintenance motor wise, but because its brushless and 4wd its harder on other parts. If you plan on racing I would go to the track and get a lot of practice because you are jumping right into a mod class with fast drivers.
with the right setup a 2wd can be faster then 4wd but with the 4wd you can drive in more place
Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default start with 2wd

I have a slash 2wd as well as a slash 4x4. I bought the 2wd last year on a whim at the Crandon TORC race. I bummed charges of batteries from a guy in the pits and decided to enter the rc race as I was literally opening the box of my new Slash. I hadn't raced in 15 years (and then I only did it a few times) and I won the first heat of Stock Slash, finished 2nd in the next heat and 4th in A-main. Not bad for just buying the truck an hour or two before. I fell in love with RC all over again because of the 2wd. I built a track in my yard and probably have 200 runs on my 2wd and I honestly don't think I've broken a single part on it and my buddies and I race pretty hard. The 2wd is about at bullet proof as I could hope for. I don't "bash" more play-race on the short course track so I can't comment on the 2wd for bashing. Even though the steering is now pretty sloppy on the 2wd. I went back to Crandon this past weekend and won the stock Slash class with the "well broken in" 2wd. Other than keeping it pretty clean, the only thing I've done mainteance-wise was put on aluminum shock caps and this spring I freshened the shocks, put a new spur gear on (I run with no cover which seems to actually make the gears last longer). I am on my 3rd 12T motor but more becuase they get tired and slow down a bit than burn out.

I remember my first run on the Crandon track. My new truck went through an area of mud on the track from a leak in the watering hose and covered the chassis and electronics with clay. I spent 3 hours the next day tearing it down and hand cleaning everything because I just wasn't used to "water proof" RC cars (used to race aluminum tub RC10s). Within a week I just started running the entire truck under the outside faucet, soaking with Simple Green, rinsing again (not being very careful even with the motor), blasting with compressed air and then WD40ing pivot points and putting a drop of oil on each motor bushing. In 10 minutes the truck is completely clean and ready to roll.

My buddy has 3 Slash 2wd, a Blitz, a Gambler and a Losi XXX-SCT. By far the Losi is the best handling, then the Blitz but he always seems to have issues with his "race trucks" and ends up running an old reliable Slash 2wd. Slash-to-Slash racing is a blast. I can even hang with his Losi when I'm on with we Slash 2wd but its tough.

I bought the 4x4 slash about a month ago. Compared to the 2wd it is dramatically faster mostly because of the brushless motor. The 4x4 is 4x more to maintain than the 2wd and you'll have to spend some money on mods to get it competitive, fix a mid bearing issue, etc. If you don't mind wrenching, cleaning, tweaking, modding the 4x4 rewards with solid and fast performance. While I can't run with the fastest guys with the Losi 4x4s, I did win a heat of SCT 4x4 at Crandon last weekend with sway bars and bowtie tires.

If you are just starting out, I'd recommend the 2wd. Down the road you could put a brushless system in the 2wd (or buy the VXL 2wd right away) and have similar speed to 4x4 but still with a lot less maintenance. Also 4x4 is $150+ more than 2wd w/ 12T.

I've never used the supplied 8 hour chargers that Traxxas sells. I've got a old charger back from my NiCD days that I'm using the with stock Traxxas NiMH batteries - I need to leap to LIPO for sure.

Hope this helps.

BW
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Prophet

"4wd slash" man hands down i drove a 2wd slash for a while and tested out a racers 4wd slash and man i love it

allthough you have to check to see if you have a turnout for them and enough to have a class at my track this year they actually have picked up .
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 on previous posts. I'd recommend going to your local track and seeing what most guys are running/racing. Possibly some may let you take either for a few laps to help in your decision. Whether Racing or Bashing both are good platforms and have great parts support nation wide.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

I've found 2wd is faster down the straight but 4wd handles better.