R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Default help me choose a car i have one in mind

hiya all new to this, but i want to get into the fun of remote control cars, i have about 100 to spend on a off road buggy ive found one on sussex-model centre, here is the link to the car

first question is this a good car to start off with, well for the money i have to spend, bearing in mind that i need a ready to run car as im no good at building things like this. if you can find one better for the same price let me know....

second question when i was younger i had a off road buggy that had a stick radio reciver, so im only used to that, but the one i was looking at has a pistol grip reciver, which is better to have, ive allways thought the pistol ones look harder to control than the stick reciver, please do tell cheers

Last edited by topcat; 10-01-2004 at 11:28 AM.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Tech Addict

That car is closer to the toy end of the rc market, but it is a tamiya so you will be able to get replacement parts and some hop-ups. Since you have a very limited budget I dont think you could get anything better than that unless its a mirco car. I do suggest that you get a kit, though. Anybody can build an rc car it takes pretty much no skill to follow the instructions, I built a TL01 when I wa 9 years old. If you want to get a car with in your budget it will probably have to be one of the cheaper tamiyas, and you can get a cheap radio system to go along with it, they usually come with a motor and an MSC, you can upragde to an ESC eventually. If you want to get a higher quality car you will either have to get a micro or a used car. Look on ebay for a used car, the Losi XXX (bk2) and AE b4 are the two top buggies. You could probably pick up a XXX ke for really cheap because people are trying to get rid of them now that the bk2 is out. As for your stick vs. pistol radio, people in the US use pistol grip radios and people from europe generally use stick radios.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
Tech Addict

The duratrax Evader BX is a better car, it's still not great but its the best that you can get in your price range. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXXJ48**&P=7 They ship world wide so getting it to you shouldnt be a problem. Its going to end up being over your budget because it is alreadly a little over and you still need to buy batteries and a charger. I think you would have to do the same with that kit that you posted, though.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to Phroziac Send a message via Yahoo to Phroziac

By the way i've used 2stick and pistol grip rados. I don't think either is easier to use, but the pistol grip is more comfortable to use. Of course the 2stick was on a tyco, but it still feels pretty much the same..

I'd go to a hobby shop and hold the radios in your hands and see which type you think is more comfortable.

Ther'es also a single stick type that's kinda like a joystick, I've never used one and it seems liek it would be slightly harder to control, but it might be neat.
Phroziac is offline   Reply With Quote