HPI Vorza newbie HELP questions.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Vorza newbie HELP questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI Vorza newbie HELP questions.....

Hello,

I've had my vorza for a few weeks and I’m loving it.

I upgraded to the 46 tooth centre gear and the 21 tooth pinion. I replaced the centre diff oil with some 50k silicone oil....

I took it out today for a spin and I've got a few queries. I'm sure it's louder now and I'm sure when I let of the throttle it stops a lot quicker? Did I do something wrong when rebuilding the centre diff???? It definitely sounds like a louder gear whining noise.

I also noticed that one of my two Lipo's (11.v) was puffed out quite a bit today after the run and seemed a lot warmer than normal?

Did I do something wrong with the diff rebuild???? I have to admit I was a little unsure what to do with the screw that screws into the centre diff casing? I just screwed it in a half way and made sure the diff span freely.

One other thing I did notice is that if I rolled the car along the ground a little it didn't actually appear to roll that smoothly?? Can’t remember whether it was like that before though... or whether it's just the torque from the engine?

I'd really appreciate any advice.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by l3bas
Hello,

I've had my vorza for a few weeks and I’m loving it.

I upgraded to the 46 tooth centre gear and the 21 tooth pinion. I replaced the centre diff oil with some 50k silicone oil....

I took it out today for a spin and I've got a few queries. I'm sure it's louder now and I'm sure when I let of the throttle it stops a lot quicker? Did I do something wrong when rebuilding the centre diff???? It definitely sounds like a louder gear whining noise.

I also noticed that one of my two Lipo's (11.v) was puffed out quite a bit today after the run and seemed a lot warmer than normal?

Did I do something wrong with the diff rebuild???? I have to admit I was a little unsure what to do with the screw that screws into the centre diff casing? I just screwed it in a half way and made sure the diff span freely.

One other thing I did notice is that if I rolled the car along the ground a little it didn't actually appear to roll that smoothly?? Can’t remember whether it was like that before though... or whether it's just the torque from the engine?

I'd really appreciate any advice.
50k seems quite high im not expert i generally run around 5-10k
Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

HPI use 100k as stock. I couldn't get hold of any so settled for 50k.

I'd seen a few threads that advise 5-10k.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What are you using this car for?Bashing,onroad racing,or dirt track racing?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Just speeding about on open fields etc. I do very light bashing as well.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Rookie

I was going to post a image of the grub screw on the diff casing I was unsure about, but I can't link to external image hosted sites due to post ratings
Old 05-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Just speeding about on open fields etc. I do very light bashing as well.
Well only drop your center below 100k if your trying to set up for dirt track...Just bashing around 100k is perfect as for tooling around big open fields it will be great also...I have a dirt track Vorza and a onroad drag racing buggy because you can't really do both and the the fastest at it....As for your 11.1s balloning its because it is getting to hot...heat lapping it with that 21 tooth pinion on it.....Im running a 17/46 on my dirt car and a 24/44 on my onroad car...
Old 05-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

As far as the louder noise its def. comin from the mesh of the pinion/spur....Back the pinion off alittle and it will take care of that issue/noise....
Old 05-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DanielD
As far as the louder noise its def. comin from the mesh of the pinion/spur....Back the pinion off alittle and it will take care of that issue/noise....

Great advice mate. Thank you very much. I'll have a look at the mesh. Do I need to worry about the lipos ballooning?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Great advice mate. Thank you very much. I'll have a look at the mesh. Do I need to worry about the lipos ballooning?
U need to moniter ur motor temps.. don't let it get hotter than 200 degrees the motor that is
Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, I think I'll just put the stock gearing back in. I don't want to cook the batteries or motor for the sake of a few extra MPH.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey there is Vorza thread where you can post in and have many of us to help you, But anyways the loud noise is from your gear mesh(pinion too close to the spur) Also can cause your motor you work much harder and overheat. You only want to run high k oil in the center diff, if you have all three diffs at that high(50k) its ONLY good for going straight, and if you try to turn at a higher speed its going to flip your car much easier because the high oil is not allowing the diffs to do their job. Original settings in the Vorza are 5k front and rear and 100k center.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Nice one, I'll head on over to the thread in the morning. Hopefully my over heating issues might be caused by the gear mesh.

Any ideas on how tight the small grub screw on the diff case should be?

HPI Vorza newbie HELP questions.....-vorza.jpg

Cheers again.

Last edited by l3bas; 05-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Nice one, I'll head on over to the thread in the morning. Hopefully my over heating issues might be caused by the gear mesh.

Any ideas on how tight the small grub screw on the diff case should be?

Attachment 755567

Cheers again.
Fush with the outside of the plastic is where I run all mine on the grub screw...also I left the 100k oil in the center and put small screws in it to lock it up and I am running 300k fluid in the front and rear of the street vorza but again that's just for onroad straight runs my dirt car is 5k-7k-3k
Old 05-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Update

I tried to reposition the motor to get a looser gear mesh, but there wasn't any more adjustment, so I just removed it and returned to stock.

Problems solved after the gear mesh was tweaked.

I took it out for a blast and it was going great until I managed to break it by hitting something whilst going rather fast.

Now I need a new Differential Case, front drive shaft and suspension pin

I'm heading to Florida for a holiday mid week, does anybody know of any good hobby shops? I may as well email them to see whether they've got the parts before I get there.