Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SC Rear window holes. >

SC Rear window holes.

SC Rear window holes.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default SC Rear window holes.

Just wondering?? I have a 79 ford body from JC and Was wondering, Can i cut out a large oval in the back window to let the air out? Was not sure if an oval would cause problems.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You could, but I generally prefer to use a circle cutter (OLFA and Hobbico each make one... I believe I own both...) and cut 2x 1.5" to 2" holes in the rear to allow air out. Should do a decent job of preventing kiting and since it's two holes with material around them, it should be a little stronger. They used to do this all the time on 200mm TCs because the holes in the back did more to remove heat as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by millerman23
Just wondering?? I have a 79 ford body from JC and Was wondering, Can i cut out a large oval in the back window to let the air out? Was not sure if an oval would cause problems.
Are you experiencing a problem with kiting or heat? What I have noticed the pros usually do not cut holes - they lower the body as much as possible.

I have the same body and am pretty happy with it without holes so far.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

parachute effect is my issue. i already cut 5 1/2" holes in the back but have not tried the body yet. testing it today on the only outdoor track i go to (1/8 scale track). have no problems on our tight indoor but just wanted to know if an oval will weaken this body. I had issues with my newer f150 (not raptor) doing it last year and just want to try to prevent this year
Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok, makes sense. No an oval would be structurally fine, just have to be cut by hand. I think people tend to use circles just because they are much easier to cut.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

I have patience and a dremel. I just thought the oval would be cool seeing this is a ford body.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You're gonna need more than your 5 half inch holes to get any real benefit. Having round corners, which your oval will qualify, is the biggest factor in reducing body damage.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Ya i knew the 5, 1/2' holes wouldn't be enough. but once I got them done I had enough room for a nice size oval or keep cutting 1/2" holes. Will have to do it tonight after I practice