Community
Wiki Posts
Search

filling shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Default filling shocks

so i tried my hand at filling shocks tonight, changing out the shock oil for fresh 35 front and 30 rear, along with some new springs. they seem to be pretty even but i have to wonder if i did it right.

is there a set procedure for filling shocks? or do i just..... fill them?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Fill and bleed them. With AE shocks..that can be kinda tough.

You can use Losi's shock dyno to make sure they're close to the same.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

You don't say what kind of car/shocks you've got. Normally the instruction manual gives a proceedure.

Aaron's right -- the Losi shock dyno has become an indispensible tool.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

im currently running the stock RC10GT rtr shocks up front, and some unidentifiable junk on the rear. both pretty basic stuff though.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

I just clean the old ones out completely, and clean the rubber diaphragm cap, then fill the shocks and pump them up and down for a while till theres no air bubbles left, then i top them right up till they're about to overflow, then put the diaphragm on (oil will spill over) then screw the cap on, clean and reassemble the shock..
Old 10-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I prefer filling AE shocks over the losis. Easiest way is to remove all old fluid and clean shock body. Put new fluid in and move the shaft up and down slowly to get air bubbles out. Now push the shock shaft up until the piston is around 1/4 of an inch from the top of the shock body. I actually use my front wheel nutdriver, pinch the driver between the shock body and the shock end. Then drip a little more fluid in so it is just convex over the top. Screw the top on and should be good to go.

When bled properly, the shocks should extend back out roughly 1/4 inch or so by themselves (rebound) when you push them in.
You want all four shocks to be pretty much the same. With the method above, you should get pretty good at doing them right on the first time. The nutdriver trick ensures they are all the same, you just have to be good at getting the fluid to the same bubble above the shock body.

When you push the shock in, there should be no resistance as you get to the top. If there is, you need to unscrew the top a little at a time, push the shock in till some oil comes out, then hold it there and screw the top back tight.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

wow u like making ae shocks then losi
losi is 10 times less work then ae
losi u fill it up with oil till it goes up to the threads u put the cartridge on bleed it wen its almost fully threaded in (about 1/4-1/2 before fully threaded on)then tighten it
DONE!
Old 10-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yeah I like doing the ae shocks better. But then again I've only done losi ones a few times. The way you describe it though, sounds like the way I feel about filling ae shocks, quick and easy. Everybody likes what they like I guess. Once ya get good enough with the way I do it, you don't have to rebleed very often.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Wild Hobbies have a great tutorial on thier site. Its for TC shocks but it applies.

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...&articleid=836