TEKIN RS OR VIPER

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Suspended

thx for replys but i got the tekin rs pro and love it
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

We have a winner, you will love the rs pro, I have a bunch of them, never let me down...
Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What do you think is better now? The new viper black edition or the tekin rs?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

the black edition is appealing but i went with the proven rs pro because i got a good deal on one, i dont think you can go wrong either way
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
I wish I could say the same thing. My first VTX10R failed on me and the replacement I just received did the exact same thing today. I can't even get it to run past 5 feet before breaking.

My 2 RS Pros have been rock solid, other than both switches crapping out which can easily be fixed by cutting them off and soldering both wires together. I just wish they had an ESC that has the small footprint of the RS Pro and can handle 550 motors without thermalling.
I have only witnessed one local guys experience with Viper so far and this is the results. He went through several new esc's and had horrendous luck with "customer service", they wouldn't answer the phone or respond to emails... After 4 or 5 esc's dead outta the box he finally got a good one but I haven't seen him at the track racing in months... I hope his experience with Viper didn't take him outta racing for good? Only time will tell I guess...

Originally Posted by drt_racer5
Wow I would defiantly have someone check your setup. I have been racing rc`s off and on since 85 (when ESC`s where real fragile) and I can honestly say that almost all immediate esc failures that I have ever seen where user or user provided component caused and to have two…… something is amiss with your setup and \or your assembly process. (I.E to small a soldering iron , to much solder) Im not trying to make you mad but something’s not right somewhere.
Our local racer has been racing for years and I know his problem wan't lack of experience or knowledge, he just bough junk equipment!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just re read all 7 pages Geeze.

I'm not sponsored by anyone but Master Card. I read this post just to see if I should try and buy a viper, as the combo is under $150, and I was looking for something to bash with, and didn't want to pop nearly double for another Tekin combo.

I can honestly say randys quote of buy tekin once is true. I have both my original rs pro and t8, thanks to the free updates, I haven't had to buy anything but a $30 hot wire.

I also have several others in other trucks and buggies.

Im sticking up and sharing my vote for the quality and tech support that tekin provides, and Im just an average joe with a good job and a master card. I do not have any sponsorships, and Im not looking for one.

I have read all of the reviews on a main hobbies, just click the hyperlink on the top of the page of the forum. Its enough to keep me away from trying viper products. They seem to be hit or miss, very positive and very negative.

Its this type of inconsistency that makes me shy away from buying a viper product.

Check a mains reviews, they are not biased like some have said through out this very old, and rejuvenated thread.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I love threads like this..........

We both make great products, we both have great service, we both win races. And yes, we both have had failures, customers who weren't happy with their treatment and more.

Viper is another option, a different way of thinking about the process. I am honored to be compared with the likes of Tekin, LRP, and Novak, they have have been in rc business for many, many, many years. We are barely two years old. And have come a long way in two years -- and you ain't seen nothing yet!!!!

No one should ever fear to try a different product, idea or philosophy. As for our products - made from start to finish by our company, top quality products, software, develop, sales and service. We stand behind our product and help anyone, anytime with a question, comment or concern. We wouldn't be in business if we didn't work everyday to improve and satisfy our customers. We are an open book on rctech, Facebook, via our technical email and toll free line. Always available to help -- and learn. See you at the track.

Nick/Viper
Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Nick, I'm glad that your on the thread and glad that you replied. By all means I wasn't bashing you guys (and I don't think you took it that way) I was just sharing my honest opinion as a potential customer of yours, and a current user of another brand.

I know there are both positive and negative reviews of every product, and brand. There are success and failures with in any product. I'm glad your being compared to some of the biggest names in the business, after 2 years in the industry.

I think the reviews on A Main Hobbies are unbiased as long as A Main shows the person leaving the review was an actual customer. The reviews cover things like experiences with the product and customer service.

I just wanted to share that with others who are shopping around, and since A Main Hobbies bought the biggest piece of advertising on RC Tech, It was easy to refer people to the big link on the top of the page.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

No worries - BTW, I looked at 17 reviews on A Main's website - 15 were 5 stars, one was 3 stars and one with one star.

I'll take that!!!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend racing. Mark Smyka won 2wd Open at RC Madness' Fall Classic by a full lap. Hot lapped the field by .8 of a second.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I Love my Viper ESC's. I have 3, (VTX10, VTX1, VTX10R) I have never had an issue, never had a failure... I cannot vouch for their Tech Support because I have never needed them. The Viper page on RCTECH is great. I have never waited longer than a few hours to get a helpful response about setup. The only thing that Tekin does and Viper does not is give a military discount. Nick what do you think about a Military Discount? You can verify military status by our email addresses. They come from a @us.mil...
Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

I don't want this thread to fall to the bottom until someone from Viper answers the Military Discount question... Thanks...
Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Champion

We have given a military discount for a long time. It's been on our Website (in fact its on the homepage) and Facebook pages as well as hear on rc tech. Should even be listed at the new ShopViperRC site as well.

Mad props, prayers, and thanks to those who let us enjoy our freedom and favorite hobbies everyday!!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Tech Addict

Nick I have been on the Viper home page 100 times and never saw the Military link, I saw it tonight. I clicked on it and it opens a blank page. I went to the shop viper rc site and there is nothing about the military discount. If you can please post a link that works that would be fantastic. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

I've got both. One in an Associated 2wd buggy (1/10) and in an Associated SC10 2wd 1/10 short course truck.

I'm giving a slight edge to the Viper due to the higher voltage and amperage of the BEC. Both are buttery smooth with another slight advantage to the Viper.

You cannot go wrong with either unit IMHO. Best of luck.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

njnewc- best thing to do is contact [email protected]. They can give you details and need to verify some information. Thank you for what you have done serving our country.