Wiki Posts
Search

Tired Steering Servo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 05:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tired Steering Servo?

Hey all,

Since you guys were so helpful on my last question (NMT losing dogbones), I thought I would throw out another.

I am trying hard to remember what sort of steering response I used to get when the truck was new, but it seems to me that the steering is very tired. It wont turn when sitting still on pavement at all. It seems to respond pretty well when driving though. I put fresh batteries in it last night and it seems the same.

So here's my question. Do servos wear out? Do they just get tired? Perhaps I am imagining the problem and most trucks wont turn when sitting still on pavement.

Again, all help appreciated...

Kram
Old 09-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Servos do wear out over time, but it's hard to say whether that is the problem that you are experiencing. You will want to check your steering linkages to make sure that they are not binding or sloppy. If they are sloppy, you will likely see that the truck will not turn at a standstill, but turn at speed.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

645 MG made by Hitec.
I put one of them in my NMT after destroying the stock servo.

also, get a nice servo saver for it.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

inspect the wires between the BEC and the reciever, and also between the reciever and the servo. ive seen crimped wires where the wire itself on the inside was frayed, causing low voltage. keep in mind they dont use alot of power so the wire will have to be almost broken. and its usually an intermittant problem. id be betting on a worn out servo.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Servo's do wear out, but it takes a long time. Check the servo saver spring, all the servo saver stuff. Also, you may want to send your servo in to get serviced. Check your steering rack bushings/bearings.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check for binding in the linkages & joints. Any aftermarket servo would be highly recomended over the stock servos. Hitec ( www.hitecrcd.com ) has an excellent line of servos for all trucks & buggies.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by DerekL
Servo's do wear out, but it takes a long time. Check the servo saver spring, all the servo saver stuff. Also, you may want to send your servo in to get serviced. Check your steering rack bushings/bearings.
HPI's RTR servos suck, to put it simply. They don't the duriability to be the steering servo for an off road truck.

Yes please do check your linkage also.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tired steering servos

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies! I built the NMT from a kit so if the RTR servos are bad that might not be my problem. As for servo savers. I put on on the throttle servo (as per the instructions) but not on the steering servo.

I'm not sure how to 'check the steering linkage.' I did make sure that everything swung freely and that the steering pilot shafts weren't too tight.

Kram