R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Slash 4x4 brushless vs Losi Ten SCTe

I am interested in getting into the 4x4 SCT class. Any recommendations between the two. Positive & negatives. For SCTe what motor would you recommend. Mamba Max Pro SCT? Thx in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/snipervision1
3x Losi Mini Crawler. Pro Roller, Modded 4 linked & one mainly stock, Duratrax SC, Mini LST2 LE , 7lb 2wd Pullin' truck & Blade Heli MCX2.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Old 05-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I owned the slash 4x4 ultimate edition and now I own a Losi SCTE. If you wanna race ever buy the Losi. If you only bash buy the Slash 4x4. If you do both go Losi. Losi is everything I wanted in a SCT when I bought the Slash.I then continued on with my slash dumping in Hundreds of dollars to get it run how I thought it should. Most places that carry Traxxas parts will carry Losi parts too so parts availability isn't really an issue with either. Slash 4x4 just sat too high to race good with. It would roll over all the time making it impossible to get consistent times for me at least. The Losi is AMAZING for Racing right out of the Box. Also you can put the brushless system you want in it. The Traxxas VXL system over heats within 10 mins of racing EVERY time. Even Bashing I would have to wait 20 to 30 mins between packs to let it cool down. Not worth the 500.00 for the Slash 4x4 ult to me. In closing I am MUCH happier with my Losi, it drives looks and races like a REAL rc should. Not all plastic looking like a toy or something it has real metal chassis and shock towers, real good shocks, and is just built like a tank. I read a lot about how the Slash 4x4 was good for racing, well let me tell you ITS NOT!!! It is good for bashing and that's all In My opinion.

Motor recommendations would be the Castle 3800 1410. Every motor out has been tried in the SCTE and everyone I know loves the 3800 more than any of them even the ones that cost 2 times as much. Best ESC would be RX8 by Tekin but any 100 amp or better ESC should work just fine. Lots using the Mamba Max pro, and EZrun with great success.
Axail EXO,BH 80a,H.W. 4000kv
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Thx!!! Anyone else have any comments?

3x Losi Mini Crawler. Pro Roller, Modded 4 linked & one mainly stock, Duratrax SC, Mini LST2 LE , 7lb 2wd Pullin' truck & Blade Heli MCX2.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipervision View Post
Thx!!! Anyone else have any comments?
i have both and do very well with the traxxas, never broke, the losi i ran the same amount of times and broke a few things, not from crashing either. my losi drive shafts have bent after 3 battery runs on flat surface (when i was testing before hitting the track that has jumps.) the shfts are very thin so i wasnt surprised. the bearings are 6 differant sizes and the manual is very plain with no info. the traxxas manuals will tell everything from complete detailed tear down to part # for evrything. the diff. pins will need to be changed quickly. the losi weight is .06 (half a pound) more than the traxxas. now you will get everyone on here to diagree and say traxxas is a brick but just remember i have both and did the testing. the losi and the traxxas have the same 12mm hex so what ever rim you go with will fit both, however i run bar codes on both but on the losi they rub the body and are not legal so i had to trim the body. although i dont race when i have these tires on. i have a differant set for racing the losi. traxxas fits fine and is legal. as far as maintance the traxxas can be taken apart completely with 3 tools 2mm 1.5mm and 1mm the losi you will need both metric and standard and alot of differant sizes to boot. the servo and reciever holder is a pain to work with due to the very tight fit compared to traxxas which is a breeze with everything right in front of you. now dont get me wrong, the traxxas is a higher center of gravity but just remember it is always 80% driver and 20% truck. would go with the traxxas any Qs pm me.
ae sc10
losi xxx kinwald edition and ten-scte

Last edited by traxxasgal; 05-16-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTRacerX View Post
I owned the slash 4x4 ultimate edition and now I own a Losi SCTE. If you wanna race ever buy the Losi. If you only bash buy the Slash 4x4. If you do both go Losi. Losi is everything I wanted in a SCT when I bought the Slash.I then continued on with my slash dumping in Hundreds of dollars to get it run how I thought it should. Most places that carry Traxxas parts will carry Losi parts too so parts availability isn't really an issue with either. Slash 4x4 just sat too high to race good with. It would roll over all the time making it impossible to get consistent times for me at least. The Losi is AMAZING for Racing right out of the Box. Also you can put the brushless system you want in it. The Traxxas VXL system over heats within 10 mins of racing EVERY time. Even Bashing I would have to wait 20 to 30 mins between packs to let it cool down. Not worth the 500.00 for the Slash 4x4 ult to me. In closing I am MUCH happier with my Losi, it drives looks and races like a REAL rc should. Not all plastic looking like a toy or something it has real metal chassis and shock towers, real good shocks, and is just built like a tank. I read a lot about how the Slash 4x4 was good for racing, well let me tell you ITS NOT!!! It is good for bashing and that's all In My opinion.

Motor recommendations would be the Castle 3800 1410. Every motor out has been tried in the SCTE and everyone I know loves the 3800 more than any of them even the ones that cost 2 times as much. Best ESC would be RX8 by Tekin but any 100 amp or better ESC should work just fine. Lots using the Mamba Max pro, and EZrun with great success.

+1 Traxxas=basher Losi=Race ready
Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxasgal View Post
i have both and do very well with the traxxas, never broke, the losi i ran the same amount of times and broke a few things, not from crashing either. my losi drive shafts have bent after 3 battery runs on flat surface (when i was testing before hitting the track that has jumps.) the shfts are very thin so i wasnt surprised. the bearings are 6 differant sizes and the manual is very plain with no info. the traxxas manuals will tell everything from complete detailed tear down to part # for evrything. the diff. pins will need to be changed quickly. the losi weight is .06 (half a pound) more than the traxxas. now you will get everyone on here to diagree and say traxxas is a brick but just remember i have both and did the testing. the losi and the traxxas have the same 12mm hex so what ever rim you go with will fit both, however i run bar codes on both but on the losi they rub the body and are not legal so i had to trim the body. although i dont race when i have these tires on. i have a differant set for racing the losi. traxxas fits fine and is legal. as far as maintance the traxxas can be taken apart completely with 3 tools 2mm 1.5mm and 1mm the losi you will need both metric and standard and alot of differant sizes to boot. the servo and reciever holder is a pain to work with due to the very tight fit compared to traxxas which is a breeze with everything right in front of you. now dont get me wrong, the traxxas is a higher center of gravity but just remember it is always 80% driver and 20% truck. would go with the traxxas any Qs pm me.
+1 losi to delicate and pain to work on, traxxas is a basher and a racer and easy to work on. i won more with my traxxas than when i run my losi, the drivetrain is always a issue ( at least the last two days) and i dont own it for long either, going on 5 months racing traxxas with no brakage
Old 05-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTRacerX View Post

I totally agree with this. I have other ESC's that I would put ahead of the RX8, but still overall, this is right on.

The other replies: Losi delicate??? Are you serious? Mine is a tank. Haven't broken anything yet and I've tried. I have seen several people come out to the track with slash 4x4's only to leave in frustration. Can they be made to handle decently? Yes, but for a price. There are lots of things you will end up changing to get it to handle and you'll spend way more money and it still won't handle as well as the Losi.

Losi difficult to work on? Are you serious? It is easier than my jammin was, it is WAY easier than the new Associated to work on. It is basically a miniature 1/8 scale. If you can work on one of those, you can work on the Losi. Not to mention that after three race and one practice day, I tore mine down only to find that the diffs and shocks hadn't leaked a drop and were still ready to run. Yes, it has one more diff than the traxxas, but that is an advantage on the track. I think a 4x4 without a center diff is putting you at a serious handling and tuning disadvantage.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just go down to your local track and see what everybody is running. Chances are the really fast guys (and gals) are running Losi or AE. I love the Slash 4x4, but it isn't the best choice for a dedicated racer. If you want a super fun basher that is a competent racer get the Slash 4x4, if you want an all out racer get the Losi or AE.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro972 View Post
I totally agree with this. I have other ESC's that I would put ahead of the RX8, but still overall, this is right on.

The other replies: Losi delicate??? Are you serious? Mine is a tank. Haven't broken anything yet and I've tried. I have seen several people come out to the track with slash 4x4's only to leave in frustration. Can they be made to handle decently? Yes, but for a price. There are lots of things you will end up changing to get it to handle and you'll spend way more money and it still won't handle as well as the Losi.

Losi difficult to work on? Are you serious? It is easier than my jammin was, it is WAY easier than the new Associated to work on. It is basically a miniature 1/8 scale. If you can work on one of those, you can work on the Losi. Not to mention that after three race and one practice day, I tore mine down only to find that the diffs and shocks hadn't leaked a drop and were still ready to run. Yes, it has one more diff than the traxxas, but that is an advantage on the track. I think a 4x4 without a center diff is putting you at a serious handling and tuning disadvantage.
what? we never compared it to a jammin or team ass. so i dont know were you were going with that? and so much you know about traxxas, it does have three diffs. like the losi (comes with a optional center diff.) and i am running my traxxxas on a full year with no diff. leaks, get the story right dude! dont listen to this guy!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm fairly certain the Losi isn't a a mix of standard and metric. You're also the first person I've heard bending these driveshafts so easily, and there's a 600+ page thread on it, which you also posted this in. Are you sure you own one?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Thx to those that have commented so far. I am keeping neutral until I get all info & talk to the guys at the local track.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Quote:
it is always 80% driver and 20% truck. would go with the traxxas any Qs pm me.
If you have two 80% drivers and one truck has been ''Dialed'' and the other isnt, guess whos going to win.... The losi is a much better truck.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #14
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowroad View Post
I'm fairly certain the Losi isn't a a mix of standard and metric. You're also the first person I've heard bending these driveshafts so easily, and there's a 600+ page thread on it, which you also posted this in. Are you sure you own one?
first off i never posted about bending shafts and you definitly never saw a losi cause then you would know it is metric and standard and who are you for me to prove i own a losi. after your poor reply i put you in the 'never read your posts anymore section" in my book
ae sc10
losi xxx kinwald edition and ten-scte
Old 05-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
my losi drive shafts have bent after 3 battery runs on flat surface (when i was testing before hitting the track that has jumps.) the shfts are very thin so i wasnt surprised.
you never said anything about the losi shafts bending huh?

since you're a dude pretending to be a girl, I'm sure you know a thing or two about shafts

the slash is the one that has driveshaft issues, they're plastic, the drivetrain on the losi is steel
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread