Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kinetic showing locked rotor and cogging

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Kinetic showing locked rotor and cogging

I have a two week old Kinetic running a 17.5 Ballistic in a Blitz. All was fine until......I was testing some new stuff, and decided to slowly add timing in the esc. After careful testing and timing progression, I ened up trying full boost on the speed control. I set the blitz on the ground. It ran two feet then stopped completely.
The esc led's indicated a locked rotor condition. I quickly removed all timing and set the timing back to factory specs.
When I placed the truck on the ground it went another two feet and again showed locked rotor. I gave it a little push start, it went, but cogged badly. I need some ideas...
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tooltime
I have a two week old Kinetic running a 17.5 Ballistic in a Blitz. All was fine until......I was testing some new stuff, and decided to slowly add timing in the esc. After careful testing and timing progression, I ened up trying full boost on the speed control. I set the blitz on the ground. It ran two feet then stopped completely.
The esc led's indicated a locked rotor condition. I quickly removed all timing and set the timing back to factory specs.
When I placed the truck on the ground it went another two feet and again showed locked rotor. I gave it a little push start, it went, but cogged badly. I need some ideas...
Thanks in advance.
Always try simple things first, if you have another sensor wire try using that one and see if it solves the issue. If it doesn't, then move on, change to a different but known good motor, if that solves the issue, then you know that there is something wrong with the motor(most likely in this case a bad sensor board). If it doesn't solve the issue, then you may have a bad speed control. If you have another known good speed control, try running your new motor on that one. If it works, then you know there is something wrong with the speed control.

If you do all that and still have the same problem, call Novak's tech support.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I tried a couple sensor wires. My gut feeling is a killed the sensor board. Im going to tear own the motor today. My gut is telling me, its the sensor board. I have a spare to try. I wish I knew why going to max timing killed the sensor board.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

I took an old Novak SS brushless speed control and hooked it up to the 17.5 Ballistic fron the Kinetic kit. I ran two packs thru the old SS esc and the new 17.5. At least I know its not the motor or sensor board or sensor wire in the motor. Called Novak. They are looking into it.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

You know, I am guessing that you have the Nova Link software on a laptop or computer somewhere near you...are you running the latest firmware?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Im gonna call and order it right now,