Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
new to lipo need helphelp >

new to lipo need helphelp

new to lipo need helphelp

Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Yes I have lots of posts....no I'm not messing with u... lol
..I deside to try out lipo this year in my summit ....its nice of u to think I'm 1 of the smart people on here....but the truth I'm new to lipo ....I tryed lots of r/c I can say that ...
Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There are basically 2 settings that are very important when charging your Lipo's.

Voltage or V - You want this to match the voltage of the pack. If it's a 2S pack the charger should be set at 2S or 7.4V, for 3S it should be set at 3S or 11.1V, 4S it should be set at 4S or 14.8V, etc...

Amps or A - This is your charge current and this is determined by the mAh and CHARGE C rating (disregard the discharge C rating 20C, 30C, 40C, etc.. of your pack it doesn't factor into charging) of your pack.

To charge a 2S 5000mAh pack at 1C you should set your charger at 2S or 7.4V and then the charge current should be set to 5A (Amps).

To charge a 3S 2000mAh pack at 1C you should set your charger at 3S or 11.1V and then the charge current should be set at 2A (Amps).

Some batteries can be charged at a higher C rating. For example I have 2 Turnigy packs that don't recommend charging higher than 2C, but my Gens Ace packs are good for up to 5C charging.

I was new to Lipo's a few months ago so I know it's confusing, but those are the 2 things you need to worry about. If say you try to charge a 2S pack at 11.1V that's when you run into problems.

I have a Thunder AC680 and when I go to charge a pack it auto detects the number of cells (2S, 3S, 4S, etc...) I then have to click OK to verify that it's correct and then I select the charge current (Amps) and click OK and then it starts charging.

As a far as balancing goes I'm not an expert, but I balance charge my packs every time I charge them.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MADMAN23
So 25 is for standard. Size battery. Pack? I just want to be clear...
NO, not 25. God you'll trash the thing. He said 2 "S" meaning that there are two cells in the pack. Each at 3.7 volts, giving you the 7.4 volts of the whole pack.

Oh and I hope you're an immigrant and English is not your primary language. If it is, you need to put down the RC stuff and go back to school. Your posts are almost impossible to decipher.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Ok I never ask how my post.........so it look like someone else needs to go back to school ....ok I have another. Question. Do you have to buy a balancer??and is that the thong that go on the small plug on the battery pack?thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Ok I never ask how my post.........so it look like someone else needs to go back to school ....ok I have another. Question. Do you have to buy a balancer??and is that the thong that go on the small plug on the battery pack?thanks for the help.
Yes, if your charger doesn't have a balancer built in you'll need to get one.

Here are a couple options.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Cell-Balancer
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Poly-Balancer
Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Rookie

ok I have another. Question. Do you have to buy a balancer??and is that the thong that go on the small plug on the battery pack?thanks for the help.
I think your particular charger has a balancer built in, all you need to do is plug your lipo into the charger, plug the battery balance plug into the balance port, select "balance charge" or "LIPO balance",select the right voltage (2S=7.4V,3S=11.1V,4S=14.8V,5S=18.5V,6S=22.2V) Then set the amperage.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

If it built in nothing plugs in the small plug on the battery pack?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Well I just went to speedmart.com on my charger Triton 2 they sell a balancer. Under the pic of my charger.. so I guess it don't have a built in one...
Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

If it built in nothing plugs in the small plug on the battery pack?
No, the 3rd small plug on the battery pack will ALWAYS need to be plugged in if you're balancing, it's the balance plug.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wasn't really trying to insult, but your posts are almost indecipherable. It is really hard to understand what you are actually asking with all the misspellings, improperly used punctuation marks and run on sentences.