R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Severe Understeering....Help Please (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/51323-severe-understeering-help-please.html)

jamiekulhanek 09-27-2004 07:07 AM

Severe Understeering....Help Please

Hey,

While bashing my Kyosho Ultima buggy at the local BMX track i noticed severe understeer, for example, on a large banked turn with say a 10 metre radius, the buggy, even with full lock would just push so bad that it was climbing right up to the rim of the banked turn, i had to back off to half throttle to get the front end to bite at all.

My setup (sorry if this is n00bish)

Rear

Proline Bowtie M3's and inserts that came with tires, 2 degrees toe in, 0 degrees camber, 0 degree castor, 70wt shock oil, stock springs.

Front

Stock HARD 3 rib Kyosho kit tires, no inserts, 0 degree toe, 2 degrees camber, stock 20 degree castor (fixed), 70 wt shock oil, stock springs.

By the way, the track is fairly hard pack with a very thin layer of rubble/gravell/dirt ontop.

Please somebody help me find my bearings, i just want a neutral handling, slightly understeering by default, but neutral to slight oversteer under power.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie Kulhanek

Jack Smash 09-27-2004 07:21 AM

Change front tires! Go with a Losi Wide Body rib in silver compound and stuff 3/4 of a rear tire insert in there. 70wt sounds pretty high for oil but not sure what range your buggy runs. Good luck.

jamiekulhanek 09-27-2004 07:33 AM

Unfortunately i have no access to losi tyres :( is it a dead end after that?

dino.tw 09-27-2004 07:33 AM

Yes,I also think 70wt is too high for buggy. If I'm not wrong,most people use 25~35wt only. Do you use stock shock' pistons or you have modified them?

jamiekulhanek 09-27-2004 07:46 AM

the shock pistons are stock...

I had no idea in the beginning, and neither did my LHS so i got the 70wt.

I'll go and get some 25-30wt tomorrow.

Any other ideas???

jamiekulhanek 09-27-2004 07:53 AM

Oh geez, i just realised i posted this in the wrong damn forum

It should be in the electric and nitro offroad forum. :lol:

Jack Smash 09-27-2004 08:22 AM

Just about any front tire will be better than what you got there. Not sure what you have available but Proline, Schumacher and Yokomo offer other tires as well.

jnims29 09-27-2004 09:47 AM

You want to see if you can adj. your transmitters epa (end point adj) for the steering. Maybe the servo isn't going all the way to each side?

dino.tw 09-27-2004 10:44 AM

Originally posted by jamiekulhanek
Oh geez, i just realised i posted this in the wrong damn forum

It should be in the electric and nitro offroad forum. :lol:

:lol: That is ok. If you need help,many RC addicts will help you no matter where. But if you would like to move this thread to the electric and nitro offroad forum,let me know. I can do it.:lol:

jamiekulhanek 09-27-2004 08:16 PM

nah the steering servo is travelling to full excursion, just crap traction....

jamiekulhanek 09-27-2004 08:35 PM

dino, yes could you please move it to the correct forum, thanks.

Aaron Waldron 09-27-2004 11:22 PM

Lower the front ride height, dial in some drag brake, change front tires, add more negative camber, or soften up your shocks.

Any of those should help.