Wiki Posts
Search

Do MMM's really need fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Do MMM's really need fans

The castle fans keep failing in my MMM's so i've been running without them as they fail. ESC temps never get high so i'm wondering if I'm better off just going without

I ran a 30 minute final in my erevo a while back and the ESC came in at 45 degrees celsius (115 F) so i figure it should be OK?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Better to be too cool than not cool enough.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
+1. Ya rather be safe then sorry. So ya keep the fan working if you need it its will work when needed.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What I want to know is: If your fan fails on you and you keep running it w/o, will this void the warranty?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
x2

Originally Posted by nadan805
What I want to know is: If your fan fails on you and you keep running it w/o, will this void the warranty?
If you explain to castle what happened, they likely will take care of you, there one of the best for customer service.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freezebyte
x2

If you explain to castle what happened, they likely will take care of you, there one of the best for customer service.
Thanks. I wouldn't know, never had a problem with there stuff.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Look, its like any other electronic. It will wear the components down over time as heat weakens material. The cooler it is, the longer it will last.
Simply put..
Keep it cooler for longer life.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Same thing is happening to me! My MAmba monster fan dies on me I'm tired of always changing the damn fan! I've changed mine more than 4 times.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you temp at 115, then the fan is useless anyways. According to CC, it only turns on at 150 degrees.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by koyota93
If you temp at 115, then the fan is useless anyways. According to CC, it only turns on at 150 degrees.
Exactly why i was asking, my temps are good, why keep replacing stuff that effectively does nothing? The only time i ever remember hearing it running was at start up.

I will be running badlands on the erevo from next meet (trialing a control tyre for monster class) so i figure that might take temps up a bit and i just happened to pick up a brand new flux HP esc (mmm)for $60 to replace my other mmm that i managed to pull the rx cable off of. It partially stripped the copper off the PCB so couldn't resolder it , and the LHS looked after me big time.

So i got fans back on just to be sure. If these clap out as quick, i'll be trying the tekin fans next time.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

the fan only operates for a second at startup to show the user the fan is working. Yes only a 150 deg + will activate fan. as long as you are geared correctly the fan is secondary. You can also pull the case apart carefully and check the fan wires. I have seen a few of the wires become cut due to the circuit board rubbing the wires as they exit the plastic case. A bad design by castle.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Initiate

I replaced mine twice and after that I didnt worry about it. I have been running it for about a year and a half with no problems(speedo mat 2yrs in May). Never had a thermal cut out and speedo is still running fine. Unless you are way off with your gearing you should be fine in a buggy, not sure in a truggy. The new Tekins dont run fans.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If your car is setup properly, you won't need a fan. Fans are insurance, but not a necessity. Needing to use a fan on the motor or ESC is a sign that your car or equipment is struggling to provide the power needed.

I have run my MMM since they first came out with no fan. I run my MMP on 6s in my buggy with no fan. None of my rx8's have fans. I don't recall the last time I had an ESC with heat problems. The battery in my temp gun died two years ago from lack of use.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My Flux engages my fan off and on through my bash sessions but a Flux puts more of load on a MMM then a little buggy does as well. Its just good to know that its there to cool my expensive electronics if it needs it. Like any insurance, its better to have it and not use it then to need it and NOT have it.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
If your car is setup properly, you won't need a fan. Fans are insurance, but not a necessity. Needing to use a fan on the motor or ESC is a sign that your car or equipment is struggling to provide the power needed.

I have run my MMM since they first came out with no fan. I run my MMP on 6s in my buggy with no fan. None of my rx8's have fans. I don't recall the last time I had an ESC with heat problems. The battery in my temp gun died two years ago from lack of use.
+1. Absolutely correct. I haven't used a fan in my RX8 for months and I've never had a heat issue. When the fans go out in my MMM's, I'm not going to replace them again, I'm just going to take them out for good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.