R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #46
Tech Apprentice
 
jvroffroadrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 59
Default

I was having all kinds of trouble getting my ball diff right on my 22. I saw your videos and used them to go by now its working great. Just wanted to say thanks to racer53 for taking the time to help everyone out like me that may not have much exp with ball diffs. Great job one of the best set of help vids i have ever seen.
jvroffroadrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #47
Tech Master
 
racer53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TEXAS[best state around]
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
An FYI on thrust balls, I'm sure B-Fast makes them but I've seen guys use the carbide DIFF balls from the RC18 vehicles as thrust balls in the 1/10th AE stuff.
Interesting...Thanks for sharing this racer1812.

Quote:
Very nice that you got the videos up, this is what i will do to my diff! Thanks alot!
Thank you.

Quote:
I was having all kinds of trouble getting my ball diff right on my 22. I saw your videos and used them to go by now its working great. Just wanted to say thanks to racer53 for taking the time to help everyone out like me that may not have much exp with ball diffs. Great job one of the best set of help vids i have ever seen.
Thank you.
__________________
"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"...Murphy's Law...Murphy was an optimist.
/ FT RC10B4 / FT RC10T4 / Driven just about everything else /
/ Mike's Hobby Shop...Carrolton Texas /
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #48
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Default

Awesome vids, thanks man! When recently building my FT SC10, I never was really happy with the way the diff felt. After watching your vids, I wonder if I flattened the diff balls by meticulously following the AE instructions lol.

Thanks again!
MikeB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #49
Tech Master
 
racer53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TEXAS[best state around]
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Awesome vids, thanks man! When recently building my FT SC10, I never was really happy with the way the diff felt. After watching your vids, I wonder if I flattened the diff balls by meticulously following the AE instructions lol. Thanks again!
Thank you...I really don't like the way the Associated instructions tell you how to do it, you are right, if you follow them it will pretty much flatten your diff balls...

Racer53
__________________
"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"...Murphy's Law...Murphy was an optimist.
/ FT RC10B4 / FT RC10T4 / Driven just about everything else /
/ Mike's Hobby Shop...Carrolton Texas /
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #50
Tech Apprentice
 
GD&T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 63
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Good info
GD&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #51
Tech Master
 
racer53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TEXAS[best state around]
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Good info
Thanks..

Racer53
__________________
"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"...Murphy's Law...Murphy was an optimist.
/ FT RC10B4 / FT RC10T4 / Driven just about everything else /
/ Mike's Hobby Shop...Carrolton Texas /
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #52
Moderator
 
Posvar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina by way of SoCal!
Posts: 4,596
Trader Rating: 462 (100%+)
Default

I tried to watch all three but the audio is very low for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?
Posvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #53
Super Moderator
 
racer1812's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 14,701
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer53 View Post
Thank you...I really don't like the way the Associated instructions tell you how to do it, you are right, if you follow them it will pretty much flatten your diff balls...

Racer53
I just don't see the soft diff rings flattening carbide diff balls. I'll agree that the manual doesn't help much but in AE's defense it's hard to put in words the "feel" you need to have for setting and adjusting a ball diff. IMO

I have my own take on the AE method but again it's all about the "feel", which takes some time and sadly some money sometimes to get right..
__________________
Stand for the flag, kneel for the fallen.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #54
Tech Master
 
racer53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TEXAS[best state around]
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
I just don't see the soft diff rings flattening carbide diff balls. I'll agree that the manual doesn't help much but in AE's defense it's hard to put in words the "feel" you need to have for setting and adjusting a ball diff. IMO

I have my own take on the AE method but again it's all about the "feel", which takes some time and sadly some money sometimes to get right..
True, I was more reffering to the stock diff balls not carbide...But the end result is still the same: If you tighten the diff down all the way something is going to get flattened a little...

And I agree that it is hard to put into words how tight a diff should feel...My point in making this was to get people a little closer to that point than the stock instructions.
Quote:
I tried to watch all three but the audio is very low for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?
Ahh...yes...I guess now is a good time to apologize for the audio quality...Sorry

I would also like to apologize for the tri-pod knocking into the table every couple of seconds...ugh I didn't notice this till I put them up one youtube...Oh well...Better luck next time.

Racer53
__________________
"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"...Murphy's Law...Murphy was an optimist.
/ FT RC10B4 / FT RC10T4 / Driven just about everything else /
/ Mike's Hobby Shop...Carrolton Texas /
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #55
Moderator
 
Posvar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina by way of SoCal!
Posts: 4,596
Trader Rating: 462 (100%+)
Default

Just rebuilt the diff in my 22 with the B-fast pro kit. I never have had a diff feel this smooth! Can't wait to break it in at the track. Your method is really easy and makes sense.

Thanks!
Posvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #56
Tech Master
 
racer53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TEXAS[best state around]
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Just rebuilt the diff in my 22 with the B-fast pro kit. I never have had a diff feel this smooth! Can't wait to break it in at the track. Your method is really easy and makes sense.

Thanks!
Your welcome...

Racer53
__________________
"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"...Murphy's Law...Murphy was an optimist.
/ FT RC10B4 / FT RC10T4 / Driven just about everything else /
/ Mike's Hobby Shop...Carrolton Texas /
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #57
Tech Apprentice
 
dymndheartkilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 53
Default

So I just followed this method on my sc10 and I've tightened the slipper all the way down and it is still slipping. I scraped the slipper pads and the diff seemed to feel right when I set it. I have a mamba max an D3 10.5 turn motor.

When I apply any larger amount of throttle it just slips like crazy
dymndheartkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #58
Tech Master
 
racer53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TEXAS[best state around]
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
So I just followed this method on my sc10 and I've tightened the slipper all the way down and it is still slipping. I scraped the slipper pads and the diff seemed to feel right when I set it. I have a mamba max an D3 10.5 turn motor.

When I apply any larger amount of throttle it just slips like crazy
Are you using the Version 1 or Version 2 slipper plates/pads???

Racer53
__________________
"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"...Murphy's Law...Murphy was an optimist.
/ FT RC10B4 / FT RC10T4 / Driven just about everything else /
/ Mike's Hobby Shop...Carrolton Texas /
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #59
Tech Apprentice
 
dymndheartkilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 53
Default

v2 i believe. its a factory team kit purchased about a month ago.

i tighten my diff a little more, thinking maybe my idea of "easy to turn" was different than yours... seemed to help a bit.
could my diff just need to be tighter?

Last edited by dymndheartkilla; 06-14-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: add info to response
dymndheartkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #60
Tech Master
 
racer53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TEXAS[best state around]
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
v2 i believe. its a factory team kit purchased about a month ago.

i tighten my diff a little more, thinking maybe my idea of "easy to turn" was different than yours... seemed to help a bit.
could my diff just need to be tighter?
It could have been your diff slipping...unfortionatly it is very hard to judge or describe these sounds on a forum...Perhaps take it to the local hobby shop and see if they can help???

Racer53
__________________
"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"...Murphy's Law...Murphy was an optimist.
/ FT RC10B4 / FT RC10T4 / Driven just about everything else /
/ Mike's Hobby Shop...Carrolton Texas /
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:19 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net