Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch" >

"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"

Like Tree18Likes

"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"

Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was having all kinds of trouble getting my ball diff right on my 22. I saw your videos and used them to go by now its working great. Just wanted to say thanks to racer53 for taking the time to help everyone out like me that may not have much exp with ball diffs. Great job one of the best set of help vids i have ever seen.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

An FYI on thrust balls, I'm sure B-Fast makes them but I've seen guys use the carbide DIFF balls from the RC18 vehicles as thrust balls in the 1/10th AE stuff.
Interesting...Thanks for sharing this racer1812.

Very nice that you got the videos up, this is what i will do to my diff! Thanks alot!
Thank you.

I was having all kinds of trouble getting my ball diff right on my 22. I saw your videos and used them to go by now its working great. Just wanted to say thanks to racer53 for taking the time to help everyone out like me that may not have much exp with ball diffs. Great job one of the best set of help vids i have ever seen.
Thank you.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Awesome vids, thanks man! When recently building my FT SC10, I never was really happy with the way the diff felt. After watching your vids, I wonder if I flattened the diff balls by meticulously following the AE instructions lol.

Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Awesome vids, thanks man! When recently building my FT SC10, I never was really happy with the way the diff felt. After watching your vids, I wonder if I flattened the diff balls by meticulously following the AE instructions lol. Thanks again!
Thank you...I really don't like the way the Associated instructions tell you how to do it, you are right, if you follow them it will pretty much flatten your diff balls...

Racer53
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good info
Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Good info
Thanks..

Racer53
Old 06-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Trader Rating: 470 (100%+)

I tried to watch all three but the audio is very low for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53
Thank you...I really don't like the way the Associated instructions tell you how to do it, you are right, if you follow them it will pretty much flatten your diff balls...

Racer53
I just don't see the soft diff rings flattening carbide diff balls. I'll agree that the manual doesn't help much but in AE's defense it's hard to put in words the "feel" you need to have for setting and adjusting a ball diff. IMO

I have my own take on the AE method but again it's all about the "feel", which takes some time and sadly some money sometimes to get right..
Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

I just don't see the soft diff rings flattening carbide diff balls. I'll agree that the manual doesn't help much but in AE's defense it's hard to put in words the "feel" you need to have for setting and adjusting a ball diff. IMO

I have my own take on the AE method but again it's all about the "feel", which takes some time and sadly some money sometimes to get right..
True, I was more reffering to the stock diff balls not carbide...But the end result is still the same: If you tighten the diff down all the way something is going to get flattened a little...

And I agree that it is hard to put into words how tight a diff should feel...My point in making this was to get people a little closer to that point than the stock instructions.
I tried to watch all three but the audio is very low for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?
Ahh...yes...I guess now is a good time to apologize for the audio quality...Sorry

I would also like to apologize for the tri-pod knocking into the table every couple of seconds...ugh I didn't notice this till I put them up one youtube...Oh well...Better luck next time.

Racer53
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Trader Rating: 470 (100%+)

Just rebuilt the diff in my 22 with the B-fast pro kit. I never have had a diff feel this smooth! Can't wait to break it in at the track. Your method is really easy and makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Just rebuilt the diff in my 22 with the B-fast pro kit. I never have had a diff feel this smooth! Can't wait to break it in at the track. Your method is really easy and makes sense.

Thanks!
Your welcome...

Racer53
Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

So I just followed this method on my sc10 and I've tightened the slipper all the way down and it is still slipping. I scraped the slipper pads and the diff seemed to feel right when I set it. I have a mamba max an D3 10.5 turn motor.

When I apply any larger amount of throttle it just slips like crazy
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

So I just followed this method on my sc10 and I've tightened the slipper all the way down and it is still slipping. I scraped the slipper pads and the diff seemed to feel right when I set it. I have a mamba max an D3 10.5 turn motor.

When I apply any larger amount of throttle it just slips like crazy
Are you using the Version 1 or Version 2 slipper plates/pads???

Racer53
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

v2 i believe. its a factory team kit purchased about a month ago.

i tighten my diff a little more, thinking maybe my idea of "easy to turn" was different than yours... seemed to help a bit.
could my diff just need to be tighter?

Last edited by dymndheartkilla; 06-14-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: add info to response
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

v2 i believe. its a factory team kit purchased about a month ago.

i tighten my diff a little more, thinking maybe my idea of "easy to turn" was different than yours... seemed to help a bit.
could my diff just need to be tighter?
It could have been your diff slipping...unfortionatly it is very hard to judge or describe these sounds on a forum...Perhaps take it to the local hobby shop and see if they can help???

Racer53

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.