Thanks!!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Nice Video!!!
Thanks!!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What do I do

My diff was purrrfect at the beginning of indoor season (very very high traction turf) I had it set perfect and everything, now I'm going into outdoor season (lower traction) and it feels pretty gritty, is there anything I can do to extend its life and not have to rebuild it right now, for example can i tighten/lossen it so I can delay me needing to take it apart until half the season when I need to rebuild bearings etc
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not really.
It will just get worse. It may get so bad that it may "lock up" and you will lose your handling. Zero cost option: flip the rings after you clean out the diff and re-lube.
If you simply loosen the slipper,it may not be fun to drive.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by camman64
My diff was purrrfect at the beginning of indoor season (very very high traction turf) I had it set perfect and everything, now I'm going into outdoor season (lower traction) and it feels pretty gritty, is there anything I can do to extend its life and not have to rebuild it right now, for example can i tighten/lossen it so I can delay me needing to take it apart until half the season when I need to rebuild bearings etc
try cleaning the diff really good and flipping or replacing the rings. the carbide balls are much hard than the rings and can last several rebuilds. get all the gunk outta the thrust washer. Since its is exposed to outside elements the grease turns into dirt batter.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks I'll try that tonight
Old 07-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I know the way he checks his slipper in the video is great for rear motor, but how is everyone checking the slipper clutch with Mid motor cars? Since there is alot more weight in front of the rear tires, thats a lot more strain on the motor and drive system to try to lift the front tires a couple inches.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was wondering, if using a one pice diff thrust and washers with the grooves like from schelle, should you apply black grease like with the stock thrust balls? Or maybe diff lube? Or should I just leave it dry.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

The black grease is good. If you leave them dry,it will wear out really fast.
However,that does attract dirt.
So the bottom line is maintenance.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by joshualeeduncan
I know the way he checks his slipper in the video is great for rear motor, but how is everyone checking the slipper clutch with Mid motor cars? Since there is alot more weight in front of the rear tires, thats a lot more strain on the motor and drive system to try to lift the front tires a couple inches.
This is a good question, from my understanding, the slipper clutch should be set softer in mid motor cars....but I am not sure about.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Questions?? Slipper adjustments.

You slipper should be adjusted on the surface that it will be running on.
You don't want it too loose or too tight.
The drive tires should slightly "slip" during acceleration. If you are doing "POSI"
burnouts,it's too tight.
If you are doing mass wheelies,it's too tight.
It's helpful to clean the spur and pinion gears,or replace them so you can hear the slipper working. I like Tamiya grease for the gears. Keeps them quiet.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcbuggies
I was wondering, if using a one pice diff thrust and washers with the grooves like from schelle, should you apply black grease like with the stock thrust balls? Or maybe diff lube? Or should I just leave it dry.
I always use black grease (AE or TLR works great) on the thrust. With our caged thrust, I put the small ID thrust washer onto the screw first, then 2 dots grease on the thrust washer. Install the open end of the cage over the grease to pack it in between the balls. Then another dot on the back side and the final thrust washer. Keeping the thrust well greased will make the diff last longer. The grease also acts as a barrier to keep dust off the ball/washer.
Mudster likes this.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Very useful info wish I would have known when I first got my buggy haha
Old 11-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Extremely good info in this thread, thanks to all who has posted
Old 03-19-2017, 01:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Really helpful info here. I'm new to offroad and had no idea how to service, set and break in a ball diff. Or a slipper clutch.
Thanks very much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.