R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 02-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #226
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer53 View Post
I would try and run with the diff for now...Most diff's will slip from time to time and I don't think it will be an issue for you...
According to the Associated manual, the screw for the diff should be on the same side as the spur gear...However, it souldn't make a differance if you put it in the other way...Most people just do it so they don't have to take off both rear tires when they want to make adjustments to their slipper and diff...
I raced with it today, and it was great. One of the more experienced guys helped me set it and I was really happy with it. He actually said; "This diff feels good man, who helped you break it in?" I ofcourse gave you your props.

My only question now is, how do I maintain it? I think that's the next video you should do. I have no idea how long this diff will last or where to go from here beyond just rebuilding it. Any advice?

Either way, thanks so much for your video, it helped a lot and I am no longer terrified of ball-diffs.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #227
Tech Adept

HUGE...
I mean
HUGE
THANKS

And that's not a what she said joke too...

I must say, you helped me a ton!
I built my new B4.1 diff today and was amazed at how much easier it was. Instead of wondering if I did things correctly, I just turned the video walked through the post and BAM...I was done and more confident about building it.

Also, you are a huge reason to why my SC10 is now working correctly. I could not figure out why every thing ran great, but then attach the motor plate...
you get the picture.

Thanks again!

Would love to see one on maintenance and upkeep of the differ or just ball-bearings.
Averix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #228
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaplestreetRC View Post

My only question now is, how do I maintain it? I think that's the next video you should do. I have no idea how long this diff will last or where to go from here beyond just rebuilding it. Any advice?
Just run it till it starts to feel gritty. Or if you have time tear it apart after about 4 race days. Clean everything. Sand the grooves out of the rings, get some fresh balls and put everything back together.

If you race once a week and practice sometime in between you should make it a month or more between rebuilds.
kc_nitro_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #229
Tech Rookie

Default great info!

Thanks fo the great article on rebuilding and setting a ball diff! Just ordered a mip diff for my sc10 rs yesterday and this is going to make bulding and adj it a breeze! Thanks again!
tierod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #230
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_nitro_rc View Post
Just run it till it starts to feel gritty. Or if you have time tear it apart after about 4 race days. Clean everything. Sand the grooves out of the rings, get some fresh balls and put everything back together.

If you race once a week and practice sometime in between you should make it a month or more between rebuilds.
Thanks KC.

And to the OP. I just gotta say thanks once again. The first ball diff I tried to build on my own and it burned out after 1 race and I was really discouraged, I'm pretty sure I swore to never run a ball diff again. After watching the videos and building my new diff along with it, I've now run 3 races with no issues and the diff still feels smooth as can be. Great job on the video, that was an awesome thing to do for all of us.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #231
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks KC.

And to the OP. I just gotta say thanks once again. The first ball diff I tried to build on my own and it burned out after 1 race and I was really discouraged, I'm pretty sure I swore to never run a ball diff again. After watching the videos and building my new diff along with it, I've now run 3 races with no issues and the diff still feels smooth as can be. Great job on the video, that was an awesome thing to do for all of us.
I got you covered Bert. Next time you need a rebuild, let me know. I got a couple tricks and tips to show you. I build diffs better than I drive, I promise. You can swing by or I can meet. Sorry if I took you out tonight.
nismomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #232
Tech Initiate

Great guide!

I didn't loosen my slipper enough and couldn't tell the difference between the sound of the slipper slipping and the diff slipping (duh). The front never lifted more than an inch or so, and tightening the slipper down didn't help. I ended up grinding flat spots on the diff balls in my brand-new Losi 22. Maybe a strong word of caution at that step? I am pretty sure I had the diff set properly, couldn't turn the left wheel by hand unless trying REALLY hard, and it felt really smooth before starting the slipper setup step.

Just getting back into this after a 20-year hiatus, and these diffs are no different than they were then. I used to be really good at this, but obviously a little rusty!

Oh well, carbide balls and new rings on order! I will be a diff pro again after a third rebuild and no actual driving.
TenBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #233
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for taking the time to do this racer53! This has got to be the most detailed and best diff building tutorial on the net! I follow it to the "T" everytime I do a rebuild, and my diff is as smooth as it can possibly be

Associated FT SC10 | Mamba Max Pro / Thunder Power Z3R 10.5T / Savox SC-1258TG
Lake Ober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #234
Tech Master

Quote:
I raced with it today, and it was great. One of the more experienced guys helped me set it and I was really happy with it. He actually said; "This diff feels good man, who helped you break it in?" I ofcourse gave you your props.

Either way, thanks so much for your video, it helped a lot and I am no longer terrified of ball-diffs.
Thank you for the kind words...Like someone said further along in the thread, re-build the diff when it feels gritty or after a couple of race days...
Quote:
HUGE...
I mean
HUGE
THANKS

And that's not a what she said joke too...

I must say, you helped me a ton!
I built my new B4.1 diff today and was amazed at how much easier it was. Instead of wondering if I did things correctly, I just turned the video walked through the post and BAM...I was done and more confident about building it.

Also, you are a huge reason to why my SC10 is now working correctly. I could not figure out why every thing ran great, but then attach the motor plate...
you get the picture.

Thanks again!

Would love to see one on maintenance and upkeep of the differ or just ball-bearings.
Thanks for the feedback...I am taking a hiatus from RC to finish highschool and get my A&P, but I might get back into it after that, and start making more videos...
Quote:
Thanks fo the great article on rebuilding and setting a ball diff! Just ordered a mip diff for my sc10 rs yesterday and this is going to make bulding and adj it a breeze! Thanks again!
Thanks for the feedback...Good Luck!
Quote:
Great guide!

I didn't loosen my slipper enough and couldn't tell the difference between the sound of the slipper slipping and the diff slipping (duh). The front never lifted more than an inch or so, and tightening the slipper down didn't help. I ended up grinding flat spots on the diff balls in my brand-new Losi 22. Maybe a strong word of caution at that step? I am pretty sure I had the diff set properly, couldn't turn the left wheel by hand unless trying REALLY hard, and it felt really smooth before starting the slipper setup step.

Just getting back into this after a 20-year hiatus, and these diffs are no different than they were then. I used to be really good at this, but obviously a little rusty!

Oh well, carbide balls and new rings on order! I will be a diff pro again after a third rebuild and no actual driving.
I will look into possibly adding more warning at that section...Thank you for your feedback sir...
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to do this racer53! This has got to be the most detailed and best diff building tutorial on the net! I follow it to the "T" everytime I do a rebuild, and my diff is as smooth as it can possibly be
Thank you for the kind words...Good Luck
Racer53
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #235
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismomike View Post
I got you covered Bert. Next time you need a rebuild, let me know. I got a couple tricks and tips to show you. I build diffs better than I drive, I promise. You can swing by or I can meet. Sorry if I took you out tonight.
Thanks Mike. If you're there on Tuesday maybe you can just stop by and see how this diff feels. It doesn't feel "gritty" to me yet, but then again, I've never felt a gritty diff so how would I know! lol, maybe you can just tell me how close I am to needing a rebuild. (or if I'm already there) I think I've run 4 race nights with this diff.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #236
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks Mike. If you're there on Tuesday maybe you can just stop by and see how this diff feels. It doesn't feel "gritty" to me yet, but then again, I've never felt a gritty diff so how would I know! lol, maybe you can just tell me how close I am to needing a rebuild. (or if I'm already there) I think I've run 4 race nights with this diff.
No problem at all. I will be there Tuesday for sure. See you there!
nismomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #237
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Joliet Jake
Default Help!!! LOL

Okay… so I was trying to get my clutch setup last night on my FT SC10 and no matter what I do, I cannot get the front end to come up at all. The only thing I get is a “squealing” type of noise and the front end lifts but never the tires off the ground. Back the nut all the way off and tighten it all the way down… same result. Not to mention the whole thing sounds like a cordless drill and it seems like everything back there is a bit noisy. It has almost an unsmooth action to it meaning that it I can almost feel every time the pinion and spur gear click a tooth.

Is it possible that I have my diff adjusted incorrectly or might this be something clutch related???
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #238
Tech Adept

Jake, definitely set your diff first. I believe this article says to tighten the slipper nut all the way down in order to do so. If you leave it there and mash the throttle it will sound nasty. Back it off about one or two turns and try again. But DO adjust your diff first.
kc_nitro_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #239
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Joliet Jake

I had adjusted my diff but did it with no pinion on it. I'm wondering if that makes a difference. I am going to grab new slipper pads today (one has a slight glaze to it) and then set the diff and clutch. Hopefully this cures it... we race tomorrow night damn it! LOL

Can anyone tell me how to identify the version of slipper I have (V1 or V2)? I have white slipper discs but have seen some with a yellowish disc. Trying to figure out which ones I should be using.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #240
Tech Initiate

I got my new diff balls and rings, and I used both this guide and Matt Castellano's guide the third time around. I am now set! I like Matt's advice on "creeping up" on the diff settings while breaking it in. Once broken in, LOOSEN THAT SLIPPER! (my idiotic mistake the first time around) and creep up on that setting as well. My diff is now tight but really smooth.

Always start loose, and your last adjustment should be tightening -- if you loosened, loosen a leetle bit more and tighten again!
TenBeers is offline   Reply With Quote