Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 12-24-2011, 04:20 AM   #196
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLpurplelambo43 View Post
So I just got a B-Fast Pro Drivers kit with the carbide diff balls and the ceramic thrust balls.

I accidentally dropped one of the carbide balls into the carpet, I went over it a bunch with a magnet with no luck.

Now I need to know, could I just use one Team Associated carbide diff ball with the rest being B-Fast carbide diff balls?

I am really pissed off at the moment..

Thanks.
You can use another .093" (3/32") carbide ball but the diff may not last as long. Our balls are made to our specs, every ball in each batch (5000 balls) is within our set tolerance in diameter to each other. There is a difference in size that will most likely happen with a replacement ball of a different brand. If the ball is larger the extra pressure it will endure will cause it and the ring to fail prematurely. If the replacement ball is smaller than it would be like running without a ball in that position. I replied your FB post.

Adawg, if you are asking about B-FAST diff rings, no sanding is needed. That is what you are paying me for. I machine them and two step hand finish each ring on both sides. You can sand the groove from a worn out B-FAST ring.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you all
Fred

ps Place a nylon stocking over the end of a vacuum hose and suck up that diff ball. You may get lucky and find it

Last edited by B-FAST R/C; 12-24-2011 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added a tip
B-FAST R/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #197
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great videos/thread and a great guy ! !

When should the Differential gear in the ball diff be replaced?

I noticed Losi includes one in their rebuild kits but B-Fast only includes Balls, Rings and Washers.

Last edited by squig; 01-03-2012 at 03:48 PM.
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #198
Tech Initiate

Younggwapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #199
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 2 questions

First you reference adding oil to the bearings. I understand that you add clear to the diff balls and black to the Thrust Bearings. What oil do you add to the sealed bearings?

Second, I am 99 percent sure that I have my diff set correctly. I followed the video exactly and I understand how to set the slipper. For some reason (and this is for my 22 as well as my SC10, I can not get the front end to pop up. I have adjusted the slipper every way I can but nothing. It won't pop off the ground. Like I said, I'm 99 percent sure my diff is set correct. It is smooth as glass but still no pop.

Any ideas?

And thank for an outstanding video!!
PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #200
Tech Master

Sorry for the long wait guys I have been extremelly busy as of late...
Quote:
can you massage (sand) the bearings before install???
Not sure I understand the question, if you are reffering to the thrust washers, then I would say yes you can do this, but the diff rings are the most important to sand...
Quote:
So I just got a B-Fast Pro Drivers kit with the carbide diff balls and the ceramic thrust balls.

I accidentally dropped one of the carbide balls into the carpet, I went over it a bunch with a magnet with no luck.

Now I need to know, could I just use one Team Associated carbide diff ball with the rest being B-Fast carbide diff balls?

I am really pissed off at the moment..

Thanks.
Quote:
You can use another .093" (3/32") carbide ball but the diff may not last as long. Our balls are made to our specs, every ball in each batch (5000 balls) is within our set tolerance in diameter to each other. There is a difference in size that will most likely happen with a replacement ball of a different brand. If the ball is larger the extra pressure it will endure will cause it and the ring to fail prematurely. If the replacement ball is smaller than it would be like running without a ball in that position. I replied your FB post.

Adawg, if you are asking about B-FAST diff rings, no sanding is needed. That is what you are paying me for. I machine them and two step hand finish each ring on both sides. You can sand the groove from a worn out B-FAST ring.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you all
Fred

ps Place a nylon stocking over the end of a vacuum hose and suck up that diff ball. You may get lucky and find it
Couldn't have put it better myself...
Quote:
Great videos/thread and a great guy ! !

When should the Differential gear in the ball diff be replaced?

I noticed Losi includes one in their rebuild kits but B-Fast only includes Balls, Rings and Washers.
Squig how are you doing!!! Didn't know you were on this forum...

I would replace the diff gear when the teeth start to form more of a point or when there is noticable wearing...

The losi replacement is fine, I doubt you'll find any other aftermarket brands to replace it with...
Quote:
First you reference adding oil to the bearings. I understand that you add clear to the diff balls and black to the Thrust Bearings. What oil do you add to the sealed bearings?

Second, I am 99 percent sure that I have my diff set correctly. I followed the video exactly and I understand how to set the slipper. For some reason (and this is for my 22 as well as my SC10, I can not get the front end to pop up. I have adjusted the slipper every way I can but nothing. It won't pop off the ground. Like I said, I'm 99 percent sure my diff is set correct. It is smooth as glass but still no pop.

Any ideas?

And thank for an outstanding video!!
To clean my sealed bearings i'll put them in a baggie with some motor cleaner spray or some denautered alcohol, let them set for a while and shake the bag some to make sure the seal gets penatrated...Take them out let 'em air dry and set them on their side...Then get some ball bearing oil and put some around one side of the seal it will soon be absorbed into the bearing do this a couple of time and then they'll be oiled properly...

After saying all of that, it is probably easier just buying new bearings if the old one starts to feal gritty, rubber sealed bearing are ridiculously cheap...

As for your second question...It is extremely hard to answer because I don't have the car in hand...

I would check the slipper pads and make sure there is no excessice glazing on them, maybe even replace them...

Other than that try taking it to your local hobby shop or the local fast guy at the track and see if he can help...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Racer53
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #201
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer53 View Post
Sorry for the long wait guys I have been extremelly busy as of late...

Not sure I understand the question, if you are reffering to the thrust washers, then I would say yes you can do this, but the diff rings are the most important to sand...

Couldn't have put it better myself...
Squig how are you doing!!! Didn't know you were on this forum...

I would replace the diff gear when the teeth start to form more of a point or when there is noticable wearing...

The losi replacement is fine, I doubt you'll find any other aftermarket brands to replace it with...
To clean my sealed bearings i'll put them in a baggie with some motor cleaner spray or some denautered alcohol, let them set for a while and shake the bag some to make sure the seal gets penatrated...Take them out let 'em air dry and set them on their side...Then get some ball bearing oil and put some around one side of the seal it will soon be absorbed into the bearing do this a couple of time and then they'll be oiled properly...

After saying all of that, it is probably easier just buying new bearings if the old one starts to feal gritty, rubber sealed bearing are ridiculously cheap...

As for your second question...It is extremely hard to answer because I don't have the car in hand...

I would check the slipper pads and make sure there is no excessice glazing on them, maybe even replace them...

Other than that try taking it to your local hobby shop or the local fast guy at the track and see if he can help...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Racer53
Thank You. I actually took my cars to my track today and they thought the diffs were fine. My SC10 and 22 ran very well today and I appreciate and hope you will do more videos in the future. The best I have seen yet!!
PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #202
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is it possible to put too much diff lube on the diff balls and rings? I'm putting a ball diff in a xxxsct and it seem like it is way to tight , when I loosen it , it barks ... So I tighten it up and it seems like it's all the way cranked down tight. it feels to tight but when I test it it does not bark. I have no more adjustment left. Is this normal ? Thanks in advance
84RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #203
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RACING View Post
Is it possible to put too much diff lube on the diff balls and rings? I'm putting a ball diff in a xxxsct and it seem like it is way to tight , when I loosen it , it barks ... So I tighten it up and it seems like it's all the way cranked down tight. it feels to tight but when I test it it does not bark. I have no more adjustment left. Is this normal ? Thanks in advance
Sounds to me like the thrust bearing/washers/screw and spring need to be replaced by brand new one. Or maybe just the spring if you just replaced the rest...
Also, make sure to "cycle" the brand new spring several times before installing. They need to be cycled a few times before the first use.
Mike Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #204
Tech Apprentice

How do you cycle it?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #205
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

just fully compress it with pliers a couple of times to "break it in"
Buckland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #206
Tech Apprentice

AHHHH, ok i got it.. i think what im doing wrong is my slipper was too tight.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #207
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Joliet Jake

As odd as this might sound, I purchased my FTSC10 slightly used... 2 times actually. Being that I was not the one who put it together and having just come across this video, I had to try this meself as my diff seemed arefully noisy and not really smooth. I followed the parts of setting the diff and the slipper clutch (only to factory specs as I do not have running gear yet and will final adjust when I do). My diff was about 3 full turns too tight IMO and the slipper clutch appeared to be tightened about 6 to 7 full turns which to me is pretty tight. So I loosened up the diff and set the slipper at the recommended 3 and 1/2 turns and I tell you what... its quiet and smooth!!! I cannot wait to get running gear in it this weekend and test it out! I am still proably going to tear the diff out the truck and open it up to go through it but this thread makes it a very clear process.

Awesome write up and great videos. Thanks a million for doing this!
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #208
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Maintenance

I am new to running a ball diff. What normal maintenance is required to keep a ball diff running smooth?
Kalgard / Epic Cameras / SMX Optics / Heavenly Hobbies

Last edited by RShockley; 01-21-2012 at 05:18 PM.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #209
Tech Rookie

Thanks Racer53, this has been one of the best tutorials I've read regarding RC cars. I'm a born again rc'r and I only wished I had this kind of info back when I first started. I was never able to dial in my t3/b3's trannys back then, I'm going to rebuild my t4 tomorrow and see what I can do with a decent diff/tranny rebuild.

To those that aren't sure how to set up a diff or tranny and you haven't read the entire thread then all I can say is you're not interested in learning how to set yours up. This thread rocks, read it all the way.
LarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #210
Tech Master

Quote:
Thank You. I actually took my cars to my track today and they thought the diffs were fine. My SC10 and 22 ran very well today and I appreciate and hope you will do more videos in the future. The best I have seen yet!!
Thank you...
Quote:
Based on my experience excess diff lube is forced out the sides of the diff when it is tightened down...However I have had experience with only older losi and associated diffs...

I would suggest making sure you're not tightening too much or too little, sometimes the sweet spot is only and 1/8th of a turn difference...

As Mike Champ suggested make sure all the components are new and you compress the thrust spring with pliers a couple of times before installation...
Quote:
As odd as this might sound, I purchased my FTSC10 slightly used... 2 times actually. Being that I was not the one who put it together and having just come across this video, I had to try this meself as my diff seemed arefully noisy and not really smooth. I followed the parts of setting the diff and the slipper clutch (only to factory specs as I do not have running gear yet and will final adjust when I do). My diff was about 3 full turns too tight IMO and the slipper clutch appeared to be tightened about 6 to 7 full turns which to me is pretty tight. So I loosened up the diff and set the slipper at the recommended 3 and 1/2 turns and I tell you what... its quiet and smooth!!! I cannot wait to get running gear in it this weekend and test it out! I am still proably going to tear the diff out the truck and open it up to go through it but this thread makes it a very clear process.

Awesome write up and great videos. Thanks a million for doing this!
Great job, and thanks for the feedback...
Quote:
I am new to running a ball diff. What normal maintenance is required to keep a ball diff running smooth?
After you run a freshly built diff a couple of laps you will want to make sure it hasn't loosened any, it is normal for me to occasionaly tighten my diff down a little after the race day is over...

Other than that the diff should last a while depending on how often you race...I usually replace mine after a month or so of practice and racing...But that's just me, and the best time to replace the diff is when it starts to feel rough or "gritty"
Quote:
Thanks Racer53, this has been one of the best tutorials I've read regarding RC cars. I'm a born again rc'r and I only wished I had this kind of info back when I first started. I was never able to dial in my t3/b3's trannys back then, I'm going to rebuild my t4 tomorrow and see what I can do with a decent diff/tranny rebuild.

To those that aren't sure how to set up a diff or tranny and you haven't read the entire thread then all I can say is you're not interested in learning how to set yours up. This thread rocks, read it all the way.
Thanks, it's always encouraging to get good feedback...

Racer53
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote