Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch" >

"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"

Like Tree18Likes

"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"

Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the thread, I just got a brand new SCT SC10 I built as per your instructions but now have a clicking noise coming from the transmission.

Have I not tightened it enough ? what is the possible cause ?

Sorry if you guys have heard it before I tried search thread and came up with not much
Could be the spur gear...

Check out the video I made that focuses on sounds from the transmission
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just a quick question Racer53... Why do you have your ESC and Rx on opposite sides from normal? My B4 is setup with the ESC on the left side and Rx on right side... was just curious why yours was different...

Thanks!

Ron
Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Just a quick question Racer53... Why do you have your ESC and Rx on opposite sides from normal? My B4 is setup with the ESC on the left side and Rx on right side... was just curious why yours was different...

Thanks!

Ron
Ahh yes...You're only about the third person to notice...

They provide almost perfect side to side balance when they are placed like this...I still have to add about a 1/4th an ounce of weight to balance it out, but that's much less weight than was originally needed to balance it out...

I don't know if this will work for all, but it works for me probably because of the heavy heatsink on the ESC...

Racer53
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by racer53
Could be the spur gear...

Check out the video I made that focuses on sounds from the transmission
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Love this video. Linking it to all my tone-deaf buddies who race. Maybe they'll finally "hear" the differences!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Love this video. Linking it to all my tone-deaf buddies who race. Maybe they'll finally "hear" the differences!
Thanks for the feedback..

Racer53
Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

when building with new diff rings does one need to sand them?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

when building with new diff rings does one need to sand them?
Personally, I always sand my diff rings, even if the're brand new...The reason for this being that from the factory the usually are not perfectly flat, and they are usually too polished...

Some places like B-Fast have better rings than others, but I still sand them anyway...Better safe than sorry...

Racer53
Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Personally, I always sand my diff rings, even if the're brand new...The reason for this being that from the factory the usually are not perfectly flat, and they are usually too polished...

Some places like B-Fast have better rings than others, but I still sand them anyway...Better safe than sorry...

Racer53
Those were my thoughts exactly. Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Those were my thoughts exactly. Thanks
Anytime...Glad I could help...

Racer53
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

i look at the vids and set my diff up as in the vids. the diff is out in five feet at frist pull. its like rocks in it. i pull it out and the rings look fine. the ball may be bad. was ti set to lose. i did thigh it up some no luck. so i got some new balls on the way. what did i not do right?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (99%+)

I know this may have been said but what effects does a bad ball diff have on performance?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Sorry for the long wait guys, been really busy with school...
i look at the vids and set my diff up as in the vids. the diff is out in five feet at frist pull. its like rocks in it. i pull it out and the rings look fine. the ball may be bad. was ti set to lose. i did thigh it up some no luck. so i got some new balls on the way. what did i not do right?
My thoughts to your problem...

First thing I would do is check the diff rings and thrust washers, make sure their is no wear on the rings at all...If there is flip them over or sand them down...

Second thing would be like you said and replace the balls, I prefer carbide in the diff assembly and ceramic balls in the thrust assembly...

Next make sure you build the diff correctly, and take your time with the break in process...

Sadly it's hard to diagnose these problems without having the actuall diff in hand...If you're still having problems try taking it the your local hobby shop or the local fast guy...

Hoped this helped,
Racer53
Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

I know this may have been said but what effects does a bad ball diff have on performance?
Actually that's a new question...

A bad diff will make the car corner poorly and it will have a hard time accelerating correctly...It won't be as smooth and usually make whining or screeching noises...

Now keep in mind a "bad" diff is a pretty general term...Some of these conditions might exist if the diff is too loose or too tight, if the balls are flat, or if the diff is not lubed correctly...

Hoped this helped,
Racer53
Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry for the long wait guys, been really busy with school...
My thoughts to your problem...

First thing I would do is check the diff rings and thrust washers, make sure their is no wear on the rings at all...If there is flip them over or sand them down...

Second thing would be like you said and replace the balls, I prefer carbide in the diff assembly and ceramic balls in the thrust assembly...

Next make sure you build the diff correctly, and take your time with the break in process...

Sadly it's hard to diagnose these problems without having the actuall diff in hand...If you're still having problems try taking it the your local hobby shop or the local fast guy...

Hoped this helped,
Racer53
thank racer 53 but there no track or lhs hrere. i found out way it was bad i set it to loose . i fliped the rings and new ball did it. and i set it at 1/8 out and it is a lot better. thank you
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (99%+)

Actually that's a new question...

A bad diff will make the car corner poorly and it will have a hard time accelerating correctly...It won't be as smooth and usually make whining or screeching noises...

Now keep in mind a "bad" diff is a pretty general term...Some of these conditions might exist if the diff is too loose or too tight, if the balls are flat, or if the diff is not lubed correctly...

Hoped this helped,
Racer53
You've helped alot, i opened the diff to find broken diff balls and badly worn rings, anyhow know i know why i didnt have the acceleration i know i should have

thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.