Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tire baking

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've tried all three methods and for me baking works best (and it's the cheapest). AFTER you've cooked supper at about 350*f, switch off the oven, put in the tires and leave for about 45 minutes. They should just snap off.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

And how is that any better then boiling for an hour?
Old 09-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

If you do it after cooking a meal it doesn't cost anything, and I've had better results that way. It might not work for everyone.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

The nice thing about boiling them is nearly all of the dirt comes off them. The water gets pretty nasty looking.

And if you do it after you cook a meal, it still cost you something. You cooked the meal didnt you? I mean, if you werent going to cook the tires, you wouldve just stuck a tv dinner in the microwave...
Old 09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

use aceton, just put the tires in a sealed container filled with some aceton for a day or 1 or 2. Then just get them out and normally they just pop of the rim.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Well, I don't do tv dinners, but to each their own!!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

I might try baking my tires next,but the Only time i take my tires off is when my tires are bald.So it really doesnt matter how the tire compound changes.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

By the way, if you cut slits in the tires when you boil them, they come off faster. You're not throwing the bald tires away are you? I use those to make slicks, as long as they dont have holes in them. I just dremel the rest of the tread off. That's the kind of tire they run at my local clay track. Maybe you could sell me some old tires sometime?
Old 10-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Ill try to when they go bad.I do not have any to spare right now.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Boil tires for about 1 hour let them cool and try to push them off the wheel. If one side lets go but the other sticks just repeat with the stuck side on top since the steam is hotter and works better. If both sides or one side still sticks just reboil. Be patient they will come off. (Don't use a good pan you will ruin it)

Now just throw the tires and or wheels into acetone (enough to cover the items) and let sit overnight. Take them out and let them dry them wash the tires with Greased Lightening cleaner. Wipe the bead of the tire with Isopropanol before reglueing.

This does not work well with some tires, Losi pink and HT rubber tires do not like acetone. They shrink and get hard.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

well, i finally got around to it.

i baked them in my toaster oven on foil at 275 degrees for about 15 minutes. they popped right off. on 4 of the rims i used rubberized black CA instead of regular thin CA, and i had to scrape it all off with a screwdriver and hobby knife, but the tires came out fine.

the trick is to let them sit for a while after you turn the toaster oven off, and then when you take them out, let em sit for a few so you dont damage the tire.

both tires and rims were fine after the process. the dried rubberized CA on the tires prevented a perfect refit, but then again, that will teach me to use black rubberized CA. the rims with regular CA popped off like nothin.

PLEASE NOTE if you are thinking about trying it, 350 is a bit high. i melted a set of tires the first time i tried it!! well, not melted melted, but started to melt, and ruined the tires. maybe in a regular oven its fine, but in a toaster oven being so close to the heating elements was NOT a good thing lol

now getting the smell out of the toaster oven is a whole different matter lol
Old 10-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Baking off tires works great. I have been doing it for years. I bake them off in a regular oven. I put foil on the middle rack, preheat oven to 325. I put the tires on the foil and bake them for about 15 minutes, I then turn the tires over and turn off the oven. I let them sit in the oven for another 10 minutes. Take them out (use an oven mit as they might be slightly hot). Let them cool for a few minutes. I then put them on the table and with a rag I push on the bead and it pops right off the rim, turn over and do the other side. The rims, and tires will be fine. I have baked off tires to replace bad foam, reuse rims, etc. I have even reused foam that was still in good shape. You will have to clean up the rims a little. The glue will be brittle on the rims and comes right off with a knife or blade after the rims cool.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My favorite method is acetone. It doesn't take much. I pour about a 1/2 inch in a sealable container, put 20 oz pop bottle lids in it to keep tire/rim out of liquid, then put tire in and put top on. It's the fumes in the container that breaks down the super glue. The actual liquid will eat some rims, so just keep it out of the liquid. Leave for a day, and the tires should peel right off.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

ive tried acetone, but i forgot to top off the container, and not wantign to get high off the fumes i put it outside in the sun for an hour i go back outside and the acetone is totaly dried up but, it did get the tire off
Old 10-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Baking tires/rims

I've done this now on a set of Proline 40 series Bow Ties and a several sets of Proline Crimefighters for 1/8 scale and it works perfectly. Bake them at 250 for one hour. The tires will come right off the rims and the rims, tires and foams will be reusable. I've tried boiling but it didn't work for me. Boiling only gets the to 212. Oven baking works better. One suggestion: get yourself an oven thermometer. The kind that hangs on the rack. Most ovens that are not digital are not very accurate. 350 is too hot and i would not recommend it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.