Community
Wiki Posts
Search

brushless questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default brushless questions

I am new to all this r/c stuff. Im goin to be buying a sc truck, not sure which one yet. But my question is, i want to run brushless. So should i buy something rtr with brushless in it or buy a brushed one and upgrade the motor/ecs? If i do buy the rtr brushless, can i run a bigger motor down the road and still use the same esc? or do i need a new esc for bigger or smaller motors? Ive been eyeing up the sc10, so if i get the rtr brushless sc10, can i use the stock ecs and change out motors if i choose? This might be a dumb question, but we all need to start somewhere. thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Rookie

cant anybody here give me at least a little advice
Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I would purchase a good used sc10 FT from a reputable seller, or new if you have the $$. Then add your new electronics to get it going. I prefer new electronics as you start with a fresh warranty etc. You will get much more bang for your buck going this way than the rtr IMO. Everyone seems to be running Tekin nowadays, kinda pricey but everyone seems to like them as they sell like hotcakes when they come up in the used for sale section on here or anywhere else.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spence700
I am new to all this r/c stuff. Im goin to be buying a sc truck, not sure which one yet. But my question is, i want to run brushless. So should i buy something rtr with brushless in it or buy a brushed one and upgrade the motor/ecs? If i do buy the rtr brushless, can i run a bigger motor down the road and still use the same esc? or do i need a new esc for bigger or smaller motors? Ive been eyeing up the sc10, so if i get the rtr brushless sc10, can i use the stock ecs and change out motors if i choose? This might be a dumb question, but we all need to start somewhere. thanks
Brushless is the best way too start IMO, No reason to run brushed motors anymore.

You can upgrade the motor that comes with the RTR kit with a number of diffrent options but IMO that ESC is just average and a pain to program.

That said the RTR sc10 is a very good place to start and give you lots of fun and as you grow you can upgrade the electronics as needed.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Do what your budget allows...

If you only have the budget today for an RTR and not a kit with additional electronics I would go with the Brushless SC10 RTR. It is a great truck and is very quick out of the box. If you get serious about racing you will most likely find yourself upgrading the motor and ESC as the RTR ESC is not sensored which limits your adjustments and motor choices. (Yes you can run almost any motor with a sensorless speedo, but you will not get the most from that investment.)

If you are going to be racing alot, I would encourage you to look at purchasing the SC10FT kit as it is a great truck with the upgrades you will want sooner or later and then purchase the ESC and motor seperate. This way you will not end up buying things twice.

I really like the Tekin RS and D3 esc and motor combo, but the Duratrax DE10 is a great speedo for the money and will drive a D3 hard. If you will be racing where they allow timing advance and turbo funtions to be used in the stock class you will want a bit more esc than the DE10. If you are running in a spec class where you don't use these features... You cannot beat that speedo for the money.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks! actually this helps alot. Like i said, im new to all of this, and im trying to learn as i go,but there are so many different options to go with and i guess it all depends on how deep your wallet is. but this gives me something to start with