Wiki Posts
Search

FT SC10 2wd Tranmsion Binding

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default FT SC10 2wd Tranmsion Binding

Just Finished Building my new FT SC10 and i have problem with the transmison binding, after looking into it i found that my spur gear has a wobble that i have tried very hard to get rid of. I tried losening the transmission case screw to see if i over tightened them i tried to add a thin spacer behind the slipper palte as they were a few things i found after reading, im begining to think i have a tweaked layshaft out of the box but i just wanted to see if anybody else has had this problem thanks for any advice in advanced
Old 05-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Do you have other spurs? Maybe you can try that to see if it fixed that way.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The screw that goes through the wing mount is too long and can press into the back slipper plate. usually you can dremel off about 1/16 or slightly more to alleviate this.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

I know you probably already know this, but make sure when building the tranny not to tighten the motor plate screws down all the way. This is often the cause for binding in the tranny.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

To me, you have 2 questions rolled into one. First does the tranny bind without the slipper installed? If so I would look at the screws, normaly like muck said it's the one that runs through the body mount. Normaly only one screw causes the bind, put them all in loose and snug them down one at a time till you find the one that causes the problem, simply leave that one a little looser than the rest. Using Lostite on all of them of course.

One the spur wobble, most will have some wobble to them, if it's really bad try a diferent spur and see if it's just as bad. I have no spurs that run perfectly true but some are worse than others..a bent top shaft is very very uncommon.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Other items to look at. The topshaft spacer can be too long. I used an extra rear hub spacer with shims to free up mine tremendously. Also look at all bearings are fully seated in the case. This can cause binding if not fully seated.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Other items to look at. The topshaft spacer can be too long. I used an extra rear hub spacer with shims to free up mine tremendously. Also look at all bearings are fully seated in the case. This can cause binding if not fully seated.
thanks muck I haven't looked at that, got mine running free but I would like to be able to tighten the screws like hey should be... I'll file the spacer down on mine if I decide to worry about it.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Like Ron Burgundy said, I'd check to see if the bearings are fully seated. I rebuilt my B4.1 tranny last week and the top shaft needed a little help to fully seat the bearing on the motor plate side. Heard a click and she spun as free as ever.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Alright that will give me some things to try this morning. Thanks for all the feedback guys, Very much apreciated