Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
coming back to the hobby to race short course >

coming back to the hobby to race short course

coming back to the hobby to race short course

Old 05-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default coming back to the hobby to race short course

Well it's been a while but i knew i would come back to it. I am wanting to jump back into club racing and when i bowed out the sc10 and slash was the mainstream for sc and the losi strike had just came out. I have been looking at alot of the threads related and am trying to get a idea of what trucks and setups are being run now. Is the 4x4 class gonna be the new big thing and is it being welcomed? I am not sure what to invest in at this point. I raced nitro truggy and a few sc races with the sc10 and really just want to have fun this summer and have made my mind up that sc is going to be the most affordable route to start up again. So i was wondering if you guy's might share your advise and opinions on what trucks are most popular and have the best options and resources to dial in or setup now days. 2 wheel or 4x4? I will be starting out in the spec class and do not want to jump to mod right away. i live in Kentucky and would be racing in Ohio, If any racers are on here from Ohio please drop some knowledge on what the scene is like currently. Thanks for any help guys!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Losi, or kyosho sc-r.... You will be very pleased. Welcome back.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I love 4x4, but I keep trying 2wd because it keeps kicking my arse. I used to be a halfway decent 2wd driver for many, many, many years (god I'm old) but I got a Blitz and it sucked. Unless there is great traction, it just wouldn't hook up. I now have a Losi sct and it seems to be much better. 4x4 is obviously more forgiving of low traction situations.

In my area, 4x4 SCT is a much bigger class usually, but everywhere is different. 4x4 takes much more maintenance, but you've done nitro buggies, so you shouldn't have any problems there. I am loving my Losi Ten SCTE, so I would recommend either Losi. If someone offers you a good deal on a Strike, run the other direction as fast as you can.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah i never did warm up to the strike myself. But so the 4x4 is popular and big at most tracks huh? I know when the sc came along it brought alot of new folks to the hobby and alot of guys and girls from other classes that ran and stuck with those classes for years started racind 2 or 3 classes to participate in the sc also. Is that the way it is with 4x4 sc? I am thinking i will buy sc10 new and my lipo's, charger, tools etc... new and then look for a used deal on 4x4 to try out and see how the popularity of the class is. I also wonder how far behind the times i am on the current methods and tricks of truck setup i am lol. Things advance so fast in this hobby it's crazy. I can hear it now, that's so old school, why do you not have this or that, you know what i'm sayin
Old 05-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Either the losi xxx sct or losi scte! Both trucks are about as good as it gets!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Super Coupe
Either the losi xxx sct or losi scte! Both trucks are about as good as it gets!
+1
Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't think there is a spec class in 4wd SCT. They sure are fast.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hard to go wrong with the SC10. If I had it to do over again, though, I would have bought the Factory Team SC10 because I'm at the point where I've upgraded the radio and will soon be replacing the ESC/motor with a Tekin RS/Redline 10.5 setup and would love the V2 shocks (I have them on my buggy and they are awesome). If I were you (I'm not, but if I were...) I would pick up a used FT SC10 ($150), RPM arms front and rear ($30), Futaba 3PM-X ($150-$170 new), and the ESC/Motor of choice since you will have to replace the motor anyway to run spec (and maybe the ESC, too if your spec class runs sensored). Just an opinion from a guy that just got back in a couple of months ago from a 6+ year hiatus.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Nothing wrong with old school either. Its kind of fun showing up at the track and running a brushed motor and a speed controller that is older than the guy on the driver's stand next to you. Then again, that makes it even funner to upgrade....
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

So what are the majority of trucks that you see at the track? The top 3?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

keep an eye out in the for sale section, alot of sc10's for sale right now since people are upgrading to sc10 4x4's, no doubt you can get a really good deal right now
Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ibmenace
So what are the majority of trucks that you see at the track? The top 3?
Jammin scrt10 n hyper 10sc 3rd one I dunno lol
Old 05-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The top 3 trucks in order are SC10, XXX-SCT, and Slash down here in San Diego. You will never be broken terminally with an SC10 down here - I've yet to be at a shop that didn't stock AE parts plentifully, although I've not see much in the way of Losi parts. I don't dislike Losi - as a matter of fact the vast majority of my R/C vehicles have been Losi in the past, but parts availability at the local track is extremely important. When I used to run Losi I knew what tracks did or did not carry parts, so I planned accordingly and had a full backup truck along with enough spare parts to probably build a third, just because it sucks to be terminally broken at any point, let alone to be terminally broken in Q1!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get what you can get parts for and feel comfortable with. FT sc10 would be good then again they all have good points, just the ft sc10 has most everything out of the box. Not saying others aren't good just if you get them and need to upgrade to ball diff, shocks and other parts you will be dumping some loot into it. 4wd the losi or either ofna can win hell the slash 4x4 won our series last year LOL against conversions and ofnas. More up keep with the slash 4x4 though.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Good to see you getting back into it. Where are you planning on racing this year?

For 2wd.. I would look at the AE sc10 ft or the Losi xxx-sct. Kyosho looks nice too but good luck getting parts around here. Hpi Blitz and the slash are still capable but not as much as others without dumping some money in them.

4wd seems to be growing quite well around here too. Mine should be coming in the mail here early next week and quite a few others have them already. If you're gonna jump into 4wd.. check out either the sc10 4x4 or the Losi scte. That's what most in the area have seem to have done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.