Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Pinions aren't staying on motor pole >

Pinions aren't staying on motor pole

Pinions aren't staying on motor pole

Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Pinions aren't staying on motor pole

Hey all, So im having an issue that has recently occurred and I do not understand why its happening. My pinions will not stay on the motor pole. Is it possible for the pole have this happen? I have tried numerous pinions with numerous screws and once i start driving they just untighten and come off. I tighten the screw as much as can go so i just do not understand. It's a castle sct motor if that matters but I wasnt having any of these issues until recently. Any ideas?
thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is this 5mm shaft? Is it metal to metal contact? on my 1/8E I have to loctite the set screw.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merx9
Hey all, So im having an issue that has recently occurred and I do not understand why its happening. My pinions will not stay on the motor pole. Is it possible for the pole have this happen? I have tried numerous pinions with numerous screws and once i start driving they just untighten and come off. I tighten the screw as much as can go so i just do not understand. It's a castle sct motor if that matters but I wasnt having any of these issues until recently. Any ideas?
thanks!
What brand of pinion gear? Try using a NEW (never been installed) grub screw with a dab of blue loctite. Also when you tighten the grub screw down for the first time, tighten it down then back it out just a tad (not much at all) then retighten as normal.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)

also your probably already doing this but make sure the grub screw is lining up with the flat part of the shaft.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Well I've been using robinson racing pinions which were working fine, also at one point I put on a traxxas one that also worked. Maybe I just need new grub screws could they be worn? Ive never used loctite before maybe that'll slove my issue.. is it just some kind of adhesive?

choppinwood, yea its metal to metal once the grub screw touches.

p.s Thanks for teaching me a new part. Didnt know grub screw had a special name like that.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Qwkrn U
also your probably already doing this but make sure the grub screw is lining up with the flat part of the shaft.
ya im doing that good thing ahah
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I've been using robinson racing pinions which were working fine, also as one point I put on a traxxas one that also worked. Maybe I just need new pinion screws could they be worn? Ive never used loctite before maybe that'll slove my issue.. is it just some kind of adhesive?
A fresh grub screw and BLUE loctite, is the key! Loctite is a brand of threadlocker. It is also used in automotive machine shops when building real motors to help "lock" threaded bolts so that they do not back out under stress or vibrations.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PorTX
A fresh grub screw and BLUE loctite, is the key! Loctite is a brand of threadlocker. It is also used in automotive machine shops when building real motors to help "lock" threaded bolts so that they do not back out under stress or vibrations.
Well than this must be the issue, guess a trip to the LHS will be made tomorrow. Not with the loctite to you just put a dab in the hole where the grub screw goes into or do you screw it in and then dab a little on top?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well than this must be the issue, guess a trip to the LHS will be made tomorrow. Not with the loctite to you just put a dab in the hole where the grub screw goes into or do you screw it in and then dab a little on top?
do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy loctite at the hobby shop. check your local auto parts store, you'll be able to get twice as much for half the cost.

as far as application goes, prior to putting the screw in, just put a small drop on the tip of the screw itself and then screw it in. let it sit for at least 24 hours to cure fully before you go run it!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

thanks!
thread locker is a must..

BUT I also take the time to figure out where the grub sits on the motor shaft with the best mesh, then take the pinion back off and make a small groove with my dremel. Once you make this groove the grub will never slide anywhere.. a touch of thread locker and it's not moving anywhere. You don't need a big divit, just a small hit w/ the dremel and your good.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL
do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy loctite at the hobby shop. check your local auto parts store, you'll be able to get twice as much for half the cost.

as far as application goes, prior to putting the screw in, just put a small drop on the tip of the screw itself and then screw it in. let it sit for at least 24 hours to cure fully before you go run it!
Good to know thanks for that! always looking to save a little money.

Thank you all in this thread for the help I really appreciate it!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
thread locker is a must..

BUT I also take the time to figure out where the grub sits on the motor shaft with the best mesh, then take the pinion back off and make a small groove with my dremel. Once you make this groove the grub will never slide anywhere.. a touch of thread locker and it's not moving anywhere.
that's actually a pretty good idea, although if you ever put it in another car you might have some issues if the pinion needs to be slid one way or the other.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This is me and only me, I've never in 20 years needed or wanted to use Loctite on a pinion set screw. Are you using a QUALITY wrench to tighted it?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL
that's actually a pretty good idea, although if you ever put it in another car you might have some issues if the pinion needs to be slid one way or the other.
Break out the dremel again and give it another nudge.. by no means do you take off much material... just the slightest hit does the job.

Originally Posted by racer1812
This is me and only me, I've never in 20 years needed or wanted to use Loctite on a pinion set screw. Are you using a QUALITY wrench to tighted it?
Brushless and lipo even if you were on the cutting edge is less than 10yrs into this market.. for most only about 6. I never put anything on my brushed motors either ;P never had a single pinion issue until the two forces met (lipo/brushless) and all of a sudden electric was faster than nitro. For me the first time I was in a race and had a DNF was the last time I didn't use thread locker
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I needed loctite until I got a decent set of hex drivers, yeah, there is a difference. I thought the first guy that mentioned it to me back then was nuts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.