Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th scale suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I run a totally stock VE8 and like it a lot better than my Losi 8ight that I had. Also had an RC8T, not an RC8Be, but it was okay....

If you're not really considering mechanical brakes, I'd go for the MBX6 ECO. It doesn't really need any further upgrades and is extremely solid, high quality.

The Ve8 is very easy to drive, and jumps stable. However, it needs a bit of work. The updated chassis is fine but the plastic skids, especially the rear wears pretty fast, so aluminum upgrades are in order. For bigger, rougher tracks with large jumps, 112mm shocks and shocktower upgrades are another popular option.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The VE8 is a sick buggy. I've seen them totally stock with 2200kv castle and they didn't look like they needed anything, looked like they had excellent handling. I'd say the buggy got a bad rap early on over the chassis, I heard they revised it though. The ve8 I saw brake was because the guy was trying to clear a 35ft jump repeatedly crashing at 40mph lol and it finally broke. I think if a guy drove it right it would hold up no problem. They blame the buggy and not their own stupidity. Seems like a bargain buggy that really performs. If your worried about the chassis then just buy a extra one to have on hand just in case.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

First off the HHH chassis is not a must have. The revisied VE8 chassis with the aluminum skids is very durable and not an issue. The only needed upgrades are the aluminum skids and and aluminum servo arm. That is all. That is like 40 dollars total. All the other stuff like the long rear shocks are tuning options. The buggy performs very well in stock form. The upgrades just make it that much better.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay. Right on! Would it be nice to get the one piece motor mount too? How do I know I'm getting the one with the updated chassis? Is there something on the box to signify this??
Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blitz530
Okay. Right on! Would it be nice to get the one piece motor mount too? How do I know I'm getting the one with the updated chassis? Is there something on the box to signify this??
The one piece motor mount is an option part and not included with the kit. It's an important upgrade.

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/67585.html

Grid RC just came out with theirs and it looks very promising.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well my gut tells me VE8, so i'm gunna pick up a ve8 and get some alluminum skids, one piece motor mount, plastic spur, alluminum servo horn, tekin rx with 1900....ill probably get the HHH chassis after a while, but again how do i know i'm getting the kit with the updated chassis!?!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

IMO the RC8Be is not the best any more: not the best quality, quite heavy, not so strong. But it has a good steering and is easy to drive.

I doubt the VE8 will be as strong as the mugen. The mugen quality is quite high. To me the ECO might be the best bet of the moment when you see it globaly.

If I had the money though I'd take a brushless converted 808 2011 specs, with no doubt. The 808E is based on the 2010 version. Xray delivers a high end built quality, light car, smooth, very strong and a pleasure to drive. Or wait till the S811E come out
Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I drive a converted d8 with RC monster kit. Love it! hb ALL THE WAY!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Read the Mugen mbx6 ECO thread. Some guys in the thread switched from the VE8 to the ECO and they like the ECO more. The Mugen buggy is very stable and top notch quality.

When I switched from Losi to Mugen I was impressed by the quality of the parts and the build. I have to say that I've never looked back to other cars since I drive Mugen. The car is very reliable and I love to drive it. You don't need any hopups with the Mugen to be competitive.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Although I would recommend a MBX6 eco, or RC8Be and the 808e and if you have the money, the Kyosho, I would never suggest that you not buy the Losi, or D8, or Hyper 9e.

After racing EScale for 2 years I've noticed that all the $400+ kits offer amazing performance.

I have yet to see any major brand of E-Buggy have major reliability or performance issues.