Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your e-truggy setup and weight on the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

What weight shock fluid are you guys running?? Im mainly running 5-6s 6000mah lipos in my 8ight 1.0, they are a bit on the heavy side and im having a slight problem with chassis slap when landing and its causing me to flip upside down or just flip end over end depending on the speed. Im running grey springs all around and i think 35 or 40wt fluid in the shocks. Im not by anymeans a tuning expert, just looking for a little help.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running nearly the same stuff, but by down siding all the jumps, I rarely have that issue. Is there some big jump you have to take without a catch ramp?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Nope, i didnt have this problem running a 4s but my 5 and 6s lipos are twice the weight and now this started.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

I'd try going up 5 wt on each end. An over dampened truck feels too rigid and funky. See if it works. I can't offer much more setup advice, because I bought my truck used and never bothered to mess with it. I asked because I've had an identical setup work just fine for me, but need some "tweaking" to suit other drivers, based solely on throttle input.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the input!!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default WOW 20min main.. tons to spare...

I guess I don't care about weight anymore.. LOL I have some carbon towers coming but that's it I'm done wasting money.

I started today with a slim setup.. used the slipperential with pinion. It was ok.. didn't handle as nice as my 'elektri'clutch tekno setup did so I swapped back. Don't get me wrong it didn't run bad and maybe on a indoor track or some HIGH grip track I will consider running like that.. but then again it would be easier to swap in the traktion drive because w/ the slipperential on the losi tekno conversion I had to do a little dremmel work to get it to free wheel anyway but it also doesn't allow for mechanical brakes (bad).

For the 20min amain (yes running against nitro's) I droped gears, dropped on my cubics and lapped the field. BEST PART! I only used 5297mAH!! (265mAH/min) pretty effecient for a 4s) The castle 1512 1800kv came off the track at 130', and I did go back for the a-main to mechanical brakes. (same motor was 160' with motor brakes) I could actually drop down to a 5500mAH lipo saving even more weight if I really wanted.

So that said.. my current 4s setup could do 25minutes of hard racing in a bind... Man I wonder if I took it a little easy I bet I could drop a 30min amain, maybe dial my throttle epa back a touch. I've run a 1515 1y for the last year, man after how well this 1512 did I can't imagine why anyone would get one of those 1518's anywhere near their truggy. Wasted space.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 05-01-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
I'd try going up 5 wt on each end. An over dampened truck feels too rigid and funky. See if it works. I can't offer much more setup advice, because I bought my truck used and never bothered to mess with it. I asked because I've had an identical setup work just fine for me, but need some "tweaking" to suit other drivers, based solely on throttle input.
Originally Posted by jrherald420
What weight shock fluid are you guys running?? Im mainly running 5-6s 6000mah lipos in my 8ight 1.0, they are a bit on the heavy side and im having a slight problem with chassis slap when landing and its causing me to flip upside down or just flip end over end depending on the speed. Im running grey springs all around and i think 35 or 40wt fluid in the shocks. Im not by anymeans a tuning expert, just looking for a little help.
This is a pretty dialed setup for a losi e-truggy.. at least in my opinion, I'm not a "pro" but I'm always getting better.

Front - 54disc, 45wt ae oil (47.5 losi) with black springs (droop around 95) #3 and middle location, 2.3mm sway, toe out front 3', -1.5 camber

Rear - 56disc, 30wt ae oil (32.5losi) with grey springs (droop around 110) #4, middle location, 2.3mm sway, toe in 3', squat 2', -2' camber

Normally I run 7/15/3, or 7/10/3 in the diffs

Hope it helps.. I like it a lot.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
I guess I don't care about weight anymore.. LOL I have some carbon towers coming but that's it I'm done wasting money.

I started today with a slim setup.. used the slipperential with pinion. It was ok.. didn't handle as nice as my 'elektri'clutch tekno setup did so I swapped back. Don't get me wrong it didn't run bad and maybe on a indoor track or some HIGH grip track I will consider running like that.. but then again it would be easier to swap in the traktion drive because w/ the slipperential on the losi tekno conversion I had to do a little dremmel work to get it to free wheel anyway but it also doesn't allow for mechanical brakes (bad).

For the 20min amain (yes running against nitro's) I droped gears, dropped on my cubics and lapped the field. BEST PART! I only used 5297mAH!! (265mAH/min) pretty effecient for a 4s) The castle 1512 1800kv came off the track at 130', and I did go back for the a-main to mechanical brakes. (same motor was 160' with motor brakes) I could actually drop down to a 5500mAH lipo saving even more weight if I really wanted.

So that said.. my current 4s setup could do 25minutes of hard racing in a bind... Man I wonder if I took it a little easy I bet I could drop a 30min amain, maybe dial my throttle epa back a touch. I've run a 1515 1y for the last year, man after how well this 1512 did I can't imagine why anyone would get one of those 1518's anywhere near their truggy. Wasted space.
Bummer I have to take some of this back.. the main was only 15min (well 15.26 to be exact) with a single practice lap (30sec), so it's not as effecient as I was thinking..

Temps were all as noted, handling etc.. but run times change a little I figure I was more like 347mah/min. That would max me out at around 19minutes w/ the 6500 lipo with 1 warm up lap. That is only about 1.5 minutes longer run time than the 1515 1y was getting me.

Guess I've got to get her a bit lighter if I want to make 20minutes, that and keep working on my throttle control, and running the race a little smoother.

I already had some carbon towers coming, the only other real effective change would be the titanium kit at least that I can think of.. any other thoughts with a diet on the tekno 8ight-t?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Bummer I have to take some of this back.. the main was only 15min (well 15.26 to be exact) with a single practice lap (30sec), so it's not as effecient as I was thinking..

Temps were all as noted, handling etc.. but run times change a little I figure I was more like 347mah/min. That would max me out at around 19minutes w/ the 6500 lipo with 1 warm up lap. That is only about 1.5 minutes longer run time than the 1515 1y was getting me.

Guess I've got to get her a bit lighter if I want to make 20minutes, that and keep working on my throttle control, and running the race a little smoother.

I already had some carbon towers coming, the only other real effective change would be the titanium kit at least that I can think of.. any other thoughts with a diet on the tekno 8ight-t?
Efficient use of throttle can yield more results than allot of things, even trimming weight. There's really not much left you can shave, short of a lighter drive system. Higher voltage means the pack has to flow fewer amps to do the same work. Have you thought about going 6S?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Efficient use of throttle can yield more results than allot of things, even trimming weight. There's really not much left you can shave, short of a lighter drive system. Higher voltage means the pack has to flow fewer amps to do the same work. Have you thought about going 6S?
Not this year.. maybe when I buy my next batch of lipo's if/when my hyperions start to give out I will consider a switch to 6s again. I've run 6s before, granted a few years have past and lipo quality is higher, but I wasn't doing much better with the same weight lipo (ie grams). While I was able to run a smaller mAH pack, the additional cells increased the weight of the pack to basically the same 'size' as a 4s larger pack to acheive nearly the same amount of run time within a minute or so (say 2 laps). Again, lipo quality has gone up a lot over the last few years so I'm not afraid to try it again.. just not willing to waste the money on it until I need new packs.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I was in pursuit of the 20 min mark with a truggy and gave up. I didn't want to break the bank. Best I ever got was 17 min and that was running 6S with the EPA dialed back to tame the power.

I'm using the 1518 right now in my truggy. I have the 1512 as well that I can easily switch to, but it is in my Ve8.

I'm running a D8Te conversion that I built. I now run the Hyperion 5000mAh 4S packs and love the batteries. I haven't timed a full run on my new setup, but I'm pretty certain I'd be lucky to make 15 min in a race.

ben
Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My Tekno 8ight-T is a fatty and I'm getting just over 20min on 5s 5200 Blue Lipos. I run MMM with cheapo Tacon 2000KV motor. Motor brakes and no clutch. Loving this Tacon motor so far. I get lower temps and longer runtimes with my 5s over 4s 5200 SMC. Also 13/48 gearing.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

I'm running a RC8T Tekno V4 with a Castle mamba monster and 1520 motor (1600kv). I have a ccbec for the receiver, 2 servos (using mech. brakes) and transponder. Have the timing in the esc set to 0 degrees, and 30% punch control. Running Protek 5s 5000mah 45c batteries. My truck weighs 11.016 lbs. Last 15 min main I ran I used 4467mah (I ran about 15min 20sec), giving me 291mah/minute, which would give me about 17min before I hit the lvc. It is possible to make a 20min main, but it has a lot to do with the track layout and how smooth you are on the throttle.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by armourbl
I was in pursuit of the 20 min mark with a truggy and gave up. I didn't want to break the bank. Best I ever got was 17 min and that was running 6S with the EPA dialed back to tame the power.

I'm using the 1518 right now in my truggy. I have the 1512 as well that I can easily switch to, but it is in my Ve8.

I'm running a D8Te conversion that I built. I now run the Hyperion 5000mAh 4S packs and love the batteries. I haven't timed a full run on my new setup, but I'm pretty certain I'd be lucky to make 15 min in a race.

ben
The 1512 1800 was awesome in my truggy last race.. you should give it a go in your truggy

I'm almost thinking when I drop my carbon towers on, I can drop another tooth or two on the clutch bell and maybe look at my tire choice for a few more oz (cubics weigh in at 2lbs) and I maybe able to push this rig to just 20min with no warm ups.. this only matters on the handful of Sunday races I make per season (work/family) anyway as I do most of my racing on Thursday nights and mains are typically only 12 minutes max. Guess time will tell.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

I'm headed to a track this weekend that runs 20 minute A mains. I'm pretty sure I can make it... we shall see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.