Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New to RC: Budget 4x4 SC Truck? >

New to RC: Budget 4x4 SC Truck?

New to RC: Budget 4x4 SC Truck?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC: Budget 4x4 SC Truck?

Hey guys, I've been looking over these forums for a few days and let me say I'm very impressed with the size and helpfulness of this community and I look forward to being apart of it.

This may be an impossible request, but I'd like to spend around $350 at most on a 1/10 4x4 truck. I'm new, so I'd like something thats durable so I'm not out of commission when I make an inevitable mistake. At the same time, something quick would be nice, haha.

I'm mechanically inclined and am not afraid to purchase a kit, but at the same time it seems like the RTR's are priced better for what what I'm looking for out of my R/C.

My thoughts are:

OFNA Jammin SCRT-10 4x4 RTR

It's only $240 + Lipo & Charger.

Do you guys think I'd be happy with this, or is there something else you'd recommend.

Again, I really appreciate your help.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

the scrt10 is a great truck, but i wouldn't go with it if you want durability. and the RTR electronics are most likely crappy, so you could easily spend another $150 replacing that stuff when it goes out.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Jammin will require all the electronics, $240 is just for the roller. If you looking for a truck that is rtr with all the electronics the 4x4 Slash is about the only one out there in your price range if your looking to buy new.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys.

I apologize in advance if this is breaking any forum rules. But Tower has the Jammin I was looking at (I don't have enough posts to provide a link), which appears to only need the battery & charger. It says $270, but they have a $30 off code.

Or would I be better off saving up and grabbing a T.A. sc10 4x4 (or anything equivalent) and putting in quality parts?

Thanks again guys.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you are looking to mostly bash and race here and there I would go for the 4x4 Slash. If you plan on doing alot of racing go for a Losi SCTE and put in some quality electronics(Tekin, Novak, Castle,etc). Also look to see what you local hobby shop carriers for parts support.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Also the rtr Jammin has a brushed motor in it which won't give you much power compared to the brushless 4x4's
Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i have the slash 4x4 it is way more durable than the scrt10. i have been racing with the slash 4x4 i havent broken anything, the jammin scrt10 i have broken the knuckles and c-hubs, so i replace them with aluminum. both trucks are great, but the ofna jammin handles way better than the slash. and you dont need expensive electronics, im racing my jammin with a vxl motor, mamba max esc (old version) .look for an used slash 4x4 , it will be cheaper and might have some upgrades.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by giantoffire
i have the slash 4x4 it is way more durable than the scrt10. i have been racing with the slash 4x4 i havent broken anything, the jammin scrt10 i have broken the knuckles and c-hubs, so i replace them with aluminum. both trucks are great, but the ofna jammin handles way better than the slash. and you dont need expensive electronics, im racing my jammin with a vxl motor, mamba max esc (old version) .look for an used slash 4x4 , it will be cheaper and might have some upgrades.
+1
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

being new to the hobby, you need to buy all new stuff. do yourself a favor and stay away from used the first couple times, that way you don't have to deal with someone elses problems and end up getting overwhelmed.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL
being new to the hobby, you need to buy all new stuff. do yourself a favor and stay away from used the first couple times, that way you don't have to deal with someone elses problems and end up getting overwhelmed.
Agreed
The slash 4x4 love it or hate it is a great beginner rig. Very durable and you can start racing it and when your skills overcome the truck you can then move on to more of a race platform.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Qwkrn U
Agreed
The slash 4x4 love it or hate it is a great beginner rig. Very durable and you can start racing it and when your skills overcome the truck you can then move on to more of a race platform.
another good point. you can get a race bred kit if you want, but the slash is a good entry level kit and parts support is great on it.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

check out nitrohouse.com they have the NEXXSC10 on sale for 219.99 and it is an updated scrt10 with pbs front suspension.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by justin962
Hey guys, I've been looking over these forums for a few days and let me say I'm very impressed with the size and helpfulness of this community and I look forward to being apart of it.

This may be an impossible request, but I'd like to spend around $350 at most on a 1/10 4x4 truck. I'm new, so I'd like something thats durable so I'm not out of commission when I make an inevitable mistake. At the same time, something quick would be nice, haha.

I'm mechanically inclined and am not afraid to purchase a kit, but at the same time it seems like the RTR's are priced better for what what I'm looking for out of my R/C.

My thoughts are:

OFNA Jammin SCRT-10 4x4 RTR

It's only $240 + Lipo & Charger.

Do you guys think I'd be happy with this, or is there something else you'd recommend.

Again, I really appreciate your help.
If you want a decent beginner ride, you can't go wrong with the slash 4x4. However, if you really want to race, you'll need to pony up the cash. If you cheap out you won't be happy in a short period of time. So far the SCTE looks to be pretty durable and doesn't need any major mods. Already has the things people are changing on the SCRT10. I would NOT do the RTR SCRT10. Guaranteed you won't be happy with it. You might wait to see the SC10 4x4. It will be lighter and could handle the Castle SCT combo with the 3800 1410 4 pole motor well. I learned a long time ago to bite the bullet and get what I won't have to many upgrades to and is durable. The hop up and parts is what gets you most. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

What you really have to ask yourself is what type of person are you? Are you the type of person that can buy something decent, play with it and not want the best afterwords? If so, buy the slash 4x4. If you will think you will want more; save the cash and wait for the Associated or get another high end 4x4.
I have watched a lot of people come and go in this hobby. But the two main reasons people go are; 1, they get fed up with entry level stuff not working, or 2, it costs too much money.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

I wouldn't recommend the sc10 4x4 being that it is just coming out and it is belt driven to the front wheels. If your looking to race a lot then I would go with the Losi SCTE and if you are going to bash more than race buy a 4x4 Slash.