Wiki Posts
Search

opening up a track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You cant win when renting real estate:

You should expecct your rent to increase substantially as the economy improves.

The only way to avoid high rent is to sign a long term lease (years) but you risk losing thousands if the track doesnt make it.

Start small with something like an outside parking lot track. And get feedback from the guys who actually show up (not us!).

You can reconsider your options once you have won over a bunch of racers.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can't offer much as far as info & advice but I will say that I wish you the best of luck!!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rapscallion
BrodieMan: Sounds like a good way to experiment with the business without having to risk too much up front - and if it does turn profitable, everything you've invested in (ie: carpet, lap timers, jumps, etc) can be re-used in a more permanent facility if/when you get to that point.

Please start a separate thread about your track and treat us to some vids and pics from the Tuesday opening.

Good Luck to both of you!

Here's a link to the new forum
http://extremercforum.com/viewforum.php?f=58

and the original thread here on RCTECH
http://www.rctech.net/forum/canadian...ed-racers.html

Here's a video of a track near Toronto in Canada eh! I raced at MCR in Oshawa which is similar but much larger and not a permanent facility like this and it only operates in the winter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvdgs...eature=related

Last edited by BrodieMan; 04-27-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is this in reference to the R/C Raceway that is supposed to be opening in Streamwood, IL on 6/4/2011???
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I think the size estimates you are looking at are WAAY too small. The driving surface alone should be at least 3,000 sq ft, then pit space, a bathroom, places to walk, drivers stand, hobby shop, place for equipment, etc and you need an absolute minimum 7500 sq ft building.

Tacoma RC Raceway here in Washington State is about that size and is really awesome for 1/10 scale, a tad small for 1/8 scale and is able to stock plenty of inventory, although a bit cramped. A single bathroom for guys and the seldom female, and decent pit space.

Another track here, Bremerton RC Raceway has a smaller overall building but put the pits upstairs which was brilliant and allows for the same driving surface.

Either way 5,000 sq ft is not even close for a 1/10 offroad track. I wish you luck. It's been my dream for a long time to have a LHS and track!