Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why nitro conversion to electric? 1/8 4wd buggy >

Why nitro conversion to electric? 1/8 4wd buggy

Why nitro conversion to electric? 1/8 4wd buggy

Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Why nitro conversion to electric? 1/8 4wd buggy

I知 getting back into the great sport of eletric RC buggy racing. I知 trying to figure out my best options for purchasing a 1/8 4wd buggy to race at the local tracks. Are most people racing conversion kits? Is it a better option because of the brakes are better on Nitro Cars? Even better than electric motors braking? I don稚 understand the whole mechanical side of this and could use direction before my next purchase.
Thanks y-all,
Jason
Old 04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

It is because there were no true 1/8 E buggy not so long ago. The first E 1/8 buggies where based on nitro ch龝sis as there was nothing on the market. Now some big brands came out with E-buggies like Mugen with its MBX6 Eco, Xray with its 808E, Kyosho Mp9E, etc..but most of them are still based on nitro buggies in there conceptions. Some other brands sell 1/8 buggies than are more electric oriented like HB Ve8, Caster 1.5R, Ishima rave, Hyper 9e, RB One, TQ SX8E, etc.. But still IMO they're are far from what an E-buggy could be (that said even if they're already faster on a track than nitros). Durango is planning a DEX408, Serpent a S811E that will be conceived in a 100% electric way also, and I think they will offiacly open brands battle for 1/8 brushless buggies.

Right now I think Mugen took the lead but it won't last
Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you very much for your reply. The answers you provided are the best I received so far. If you were to build two 4wd 1/8 buggies in efforts to be the most competitive as possible which manufacture would you go with? Mugen? I知 working with a 3500k budget to build two buggies. I want to spend my summer racing...
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

$3,500
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JasonVA
Thank you very much for your reply. The answers you provided are the best I received so far. If you were to build two 4wd 1/8 buggies in efforts to be the most competitive as possible which manufacture would you go with? Mugen? I知 working with a 3500k budget to build two buggies. I want to spend my summer racing...
You won't need so much money. RIght now I would definitely go with the Mugen MBX6 Eco. IMO it's the best comprmise
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Personally, i would look for a vehicle that does it best to get its weight to the centerline as much as possible, especially if its one using a 1 pack setup.

That being said, when I decided to get back into 1/8 electric after a 1 year time off (did 1/10), I was looking at the Hyper 9E (which I had before, excellent buggy), the dual pack designs like Caster Fusion, and the Tekno conversions. After seeing the new V4 setups from tekno that offer you the option of using mechanical brakes and have the narrow chassis setup (except the Losi conversion), I decided to purchase one mounted to a Hot bodies D8 since it was cheap.

The MBX6 Tekno conversions are a great option as well. And you get a variety of things you can try out like a clutch setup,traktion drive, mechanical brakes, long shank pinion setup (moves motor more forwards and allows mech brakes) or a traditional 1/8 pinion setup.

And its quality of design is really up there. If this was included with the kit you would be quite happy put if that way.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

RC8e would be my choice of buggy. Your going to see the post eventually fill with everyones personal favorites.

You should be able to get both, with what ever brand you want, with high end electronics, ready to go, with batteries, under $2500
Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I did a lot of research and ended up with the Losi 2.0-e
Parts support was a big factor, and I liked the design of the buggy. The Mugen Eco was my close 2nd, but the lhs doesn't stock parts for it.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

I'm partial, but I'd go with the Losi 8ight-e.

However, you really should just go by your local track and see what most people there are running. You'll end up with more local support/help and set-up info that way.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

mugen the best, then kyosho, then xray... these cars are "quality". the other cars all handle great but wear out fast.
nitro is still more popular. 10 to 1
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Mugen ECO and Mbx6.... Nuff said, i like my tekno v4 conversion aswell.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'd go with a buggy that is built tuff. I had a mugen MBX-5 that took alot of punishment and kept asking for more, my converted RC8 has taken alot also, and rarely breaks. the more time you can spend driving than wrenching the better.

Some people run conversions (like myself) because you can easly change the buggy back to nitro if the E class isn't your thing .