R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   How do you know if motor or ESC is fried? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/506337-how-do-you-know-if-motor-esc-fried.html)

EvanAZ 04-23-2011 08:17 PM

How do you know if motor or ESC is fried?

I have a Castle Sv2 with 57kV motor (2 weeks old), over the last week it has gotten slower. Motor never really got that hot I could always put my fingers on it for a few seconds after a pack. Yes a temp gun is in my future.

How do I know if its the motor or ESC that is having problems?

Thanks

glassdoctor 04-23-2011 08:21 PM

If the motor never over heated, and it's gotten slower? I would check the battery first. Brushless motors are normally either good or bad and no in between. And same with a speed control... don't ever recall a bad esc that worked but ran slow.

Battery or something in the wiring/connectors.... that's where I would look.

B.A. Racer 04-23-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by glassdoctor (Post 9008825)
If the motor never over heated, and it's gotten slower? I would check the battery first. Brushless motors are normally either good or bad and no in between. And same with a speed control... don't ever recall a bad esc that worked but ran slow.

Battery or something in the wiring/connectors.... that's where I would look.

+1 check your connections and the bateries

SubarooMike 04-23-2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by B.A. Racer (Post 9008847)
+1 check your connections and the bateries

+1

ldivinag 04-23-2011 08:34 PM

one way is if your havoc pro sc esc catches on fire...

lol...

EvanAZ 04-23-2011 08:37 PM

Batteries are good, 2s lipos 40c 4000mah, I run my sons Blitz with the same but his is not brushless and his is faster than mine now.

Do you think the motor got to hot? is this a sign? my son and his friends have played with it and might have overheated it, I always only run for about 15min and rest for 15.

I tried to recalibrate the ESC to program with my radio but it won't go into programming mode???

Thanks

glassdoctor 04-23-2011 08:56 PM

Make sure the radio has the throttle end points set all the way up, and center the throttle trim, etc. Hold full throttle while turning on the esc... if it doesn't go into calibration mode then recheck the radio throttle settings?

Do you get a solid green light at full throttle?

EvanAZ 04-24-2011 07:38 AM

Running a stock HPI radio, only settings I have on it are st. trim, and t.trim.

when running red is fwd and green is reverse??? wires are connected to correct colors.

EvanAZ 04-24-2011 07:42 AM

O.K. just check seems like reverse and fwd. on the ESC lights are backwards...

REVERSE is a lot faster than FWD...

Can I switch the wires on the ESC to Motor? or How can I recalibrate it, it won't let me recalibrate again...

BashemSmashem 04-24-2011 07:56 AM

Switch any 2 of the motor wires around and it should spin the right way .

EvanAZ 04-24-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem (Post 9010455)
Switch any 2 of the motor wires around and it should spin the right way .

It doesn't mater what colors???

I've programmed and reprogrammed switching from my sons blitz to mine and it always comes up reversed????

Thanks

EvanAZ 04-24-2011 08:24 AM

Got them switched and it works fine now, got the white and blacked swapped...

Thanks for the help.

BashemSmashem 04-24-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by EvanAZ (Post 9010549)
Got them switched and it works fine now, got the white and blacked swapped...

Thanks for the help.

No problem ! If you get the Castle Link setup you can go into the setup menu and change the motors direction there and put the wires back to the matching colors .

EvanAZ 04-24-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem (Post 9010706)
No problem ! If you get the Castle Link setup you can go into the setup menu and change the motors direction there and put the wires back to the matching colors .

Ordering that now...
Thanks